Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S, both front USB ports stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello-

I keep a small USB drive in one of my front USB ports with my music on it. I've been using it for years with no issue. Within the past couple of days, the car doesn't recognize the USB drive anymore. It doesn't even show as a selection in my music menus. I checked the USB drive with my laptop and it works fine. I also tried a different USB stick with no luck either. The software on the car was recently updated. I am not sure if that is a coincidence or not.

Any advice as to where to go with this?

Thanks!

This is a known issue with 2020.12.5 update. USB music stops working. Saw something that a new update will fix the issue but I haven't confirmed it as I not updated to 2020.12.5.

Well that sucks. When I searched I saw that other models were having problems but missed that little gem for the S. Hopefully they get that fixed quickly.

Thanks for letting me know.

Just in case anyone else has the same problem, I called Tesla this afternoon (got right through, no wait, WOW!) and they confirmed everything nativespinner wrote. Supposedly, they can't manually "push" an update to a car so basically you have to wait for it to show up.

The 2010.12.10 update is not available for MCU1/AP1 cars (confirmed with service), leaving a large fraction (possibly most) of the customers impacted by this ridiculous bug out in the cold (or at least the quiet) for weeks or months more.

Given his recent Tweets maybe Elon's hoping we'll drive around with our radios tuned to Limbaugh instead.

• Informative
Reactions: Messagepads
The 2010.12.10 update is not available for MCU1/AP1 cars (confirmed with service), leaving a large fraction (possibly most) of the customers impacted by this ridiculous bug out in the cold (or at least the quiet) for weeks or months more.

Given his recent Tweets maybe Elon's hoping we'll drive around with our radios tuned to Limbaugh instead.

Wait, you have AM radio? Arrggh.

Just in case anyone else has the same problem, I called Tesla this afternoon (got right through, no wait, WOW!) and they confirmed everything nativespinner wrote. Supposedly, they can't manually "push" an update to a car so basically you have to wait for it to show up.
So, they _can_ push an update to a car - or certainly could, because I had experimental code pushed to my car at least once after repeatedly reporting USB music bugs in 2016, and even got email from someone on the old Jon Mcneill team that had a quote in it from the engineer who'd pushed the unreleased code (the problem then turned out to be hardware, USB power supply - I had a high-current device plugged into the other USB port when the issues appeared).

It's also definitely the case that, at least when a tech is sitting at your car with Toolbox, they can select from a menu of available versions for your car. I know this because when I tried to schedule another service appointment yesterday to get 2020.12.10 after the tech "upgraded" me to 2020.12.5 that I already had, they quoted the tech's notes from their internal system which indicated that 2020.12.10 was not on the menu of available versions for my VIN and thus could not be installed, then cancelled the service request.

Now if they'd spend as much effort properly testing their software as they do spewing nonsensical excuses on the phone...

So, they _can_ push an update to a car - or certainly could, because I had experimental code pushed to my car at least once after repeatedly reporting USB music bugs in 2016, and even got email from someone on the old Jon Mcneill team that had a quote in it from the engineer who'd pushed the unreleased code (the problem then turned out to be hardware, USB power supply - I had a high-current device plugged into the other USB port when the issues appeared).

It's also definitely the case that, at least when a tech is sitting at your car with Toolbox, they can select from a menu of available versions for your car. I know this because when I tried to schedule another service appointment yesterday to get 2020.12.10 after the tech "upgraded" me to 2020.12.5 that I already had, they quoted the tech's notes from their internal system which indicated that 2020.12.10 was not on the menu of available versions for my VIN and thus could not be installed, then cancelled the service request.

Now if they'd spend as much effort properly testing their software as they do spewing nonsensical excuses on the phone...

Yeah, that's why I used the word "supposedly." They can send anything to any car any time they want. They just don't want to be bombarded with everyone wanting either to be rolled back to the previous update or sending out a fix at a time inconvenient for them.

This is a known issue with 2020.12.5 update. USB music stops working.
Tesla's MCU code base must be an absolute dogs breakfast for this sort of stuff to continue to happen with each update.
The poor people with MCU2's because this would mean no USB music, regular Bluetooth disconnections meaning no BT music off your phone (another common bug still not fixed) and based on my own Spotify experience on my MCU1 that is only working 50% of the time at best, and of course no FM/AM radio for MCU2.
I've only owned my car since 2018, have they always been this bad with releases breaking functions? I've never had one stable release where everything worked as advertised.