Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
Model S Changes

I’ve posted a few times here regarding features being deleted from recently shipping cars. Specifically I posted “An Open Letter to Elon Musk regarding Foglights”. I also chimed in on the recent “Cupholder Cinchers” thread. I haven’t been around the Telsa community for as long as some, so I’ve only heard about issues that are older: headliners, sun visors, sunroof shade, hard drive access, etc…

The reason for this post is twofold:
1) To try and consolidate a list of changes made or promised regarding the car

2) To address the official premise that Telsa is apparently taking (and that I’ve seen expressed in several forum replies): “We are making changes for the better as well, so it evens out.”​

It seems that features and/or changes fall in to several categories:

A) ITEMS THAT FIX A PREVIOUS DEFICIENCY OR DEFECTIVE FEATURE GENERALLY UNDERSTOOD TO HAVE BEEN A STANDARD FEATURE – These are things that material or firmware fixes that improve the car, but really aren’t “additional”. Customers should not be charged for these.
-Sleep mode to fix vampire draw
-Floor mats
-Acceleration “smoothing” via firmware
-Improved sun visors
-Navigation/display fixes
-Headliner
-Fog lights

B) ITEMS/FEATURES THAT ADD NEW FUNCTIONALITY NEVER DEMONSTRATED OR PROMISED AS FREE– These are things that Tesla is well within their right to charge for, as they are adding new functionality. If they opt to provide them for free, it engenders good will:
-Supercharging capability on 60’s
-Consoles
-Premium content/features
-Cellular connectivity/ improvements

C) ITEMS PROMISED BUT NOT AVAIALBLE INTITALLY – These are things mentioned as being part of the car but were not ready in time for initial release. Based on the context of the announcement, they might be considered optional paid-for items:
-WiFi connectivity
-Sun shade (?)
-Hard drive usage (?)

D) ITEMS LISTED/DISPLAYED AS PART OF THE CAR OR A PACKAGE ON WEBSITE AND IN SHOWROOMS – These are things that customers have been led to believe are part of the car or a package. There are too many to list (see specs page on website), but shipping cars without these features or a corresponding reduction in price engenders bad will:

-Cornering lights
-Cupholder “cinchers”

(please feel free to mention those I’ve missed , and I’ll add to the list)

Tesla has every right to charge for new features. It is then ours to decide what we find a value proposition worthy of paying for. If Tesla sees fit to add a feature free of charge, they gain increased loyalty.

However, it’s a two edged sword: They also should NOT remove features that we’ve been led to believe we are getting on our cars. It reeks of “bait and switch” to see something in a showroom, only to find it’s not on my delivered car. Tesla risks creating bad blood by doing this.

Last edited:
On the headliner issue - yes and no. My P85 was set to deliver end of March. When I went to accept it, headliner was cloth, not Alcantara. They finally finished the replacement of the headliner today and I hope to finally take delivery of the car tomorrow with its Alcantara headliner. From my understanding, I am one of the few who has actually gotten my headliner replaced and I think the reason I got mine replaced was that I refused to pay for and accept delivery of the car until it was replaced. Yes, Tesla admitted it was a mistake and said they would replace the headliners but, not many are actually getting replaced.

Now to see if my car has fog lights and cupholder cinches. When I saw the headliner was wrong over a month ago, was done looking at it.

On the headliner issue - yes and no. My P85 was set to deliver end of March. When I went to accept it, headliner was cloth, not Alcantara. They finally finished the replacement of the headliner today and I hope to finally take delivery of the car tomorrow with its Alcantara headliner. From my understanding, I am one of the few who has actually gotten my headliner replaced and I think the reason I got mine replaced was that I refused to pay for and accept delivery of the car until it was replaced. Yes, Tesla admitted it was a mistake and said they would replace the headliners but, not many are actually getting replaced.

Now to see if my car has fog lights and cupholder cinches. When I saw the headliner was wrong over a month ago, was done looking at it.
sjm: hope you are enjoying your new car! Any updates on the fog lights and cinchers?

Updated items

I updated the first post, as somebody pointed out that Tesla is making good on the headliner issue, and I've just gotten word from Elon that they will address the fog lights as well (see post here)

I have to say in all of this that it appears that by and Large Tesla is willing to do the right thing by it's customers, in some cases even going above and beyond. It's a refreshing experience.

I updated the first post, as somebody pointed out that Tesla is making good on the headliner issue, and I've just gotten word from Elon that they will address the fog lights as well (see post here)

I have to say in all of this that it appears that by and Large Tesla is willing to do the right thing by it's customers, in some cases even going above and beyond. It's a refreshing experience.

^^^ +1

C) ITEMS PROMISED BUT NOT AVAIALBLE INTITALLY – These are things mentioned as being part of the car but were not ready in time for initial release. Based on the context of the announcement, they might be considered optional paid-for items:
-WiFi connectivity
-Sun shade (?)
-Hard drive usage (?)

Regarding the manual sunshade, for many months, perhaps more than a year, on the Options & Pricing web page Tesla advertised the sunshade as an included feature as part of the Panoramic Roof.

Recently the manual sunshade has been removed from the Options & Pricing web page.

For those who configured their cars while Tesla was still advertising this feature, they were promised an option that has yet to be delivered.

Larry