Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Dash Trim impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to the owner, but to Tesla. I'm getting the performance model, and a big part of that is wanting the CF interior and the dark wheels. If I could get those alone for a lot less than the whole package I'd seriously consider going that way instead as the actual added performance is not worth a lot to me. Then Tesla would surely earn less money...

Isnt that a fairly major premium you are spending for wheels and trim? I have a hard time believing there are a lot of potential buyers out there that are buying the performance for reasons other than the actual performance upgrade. I mean, clearly not ALL based on your post, but that cant be a common decision.

Isnt that a fairly major premium you are spending for wheels and trim? I have a hard time believing there are a lot of potential buyers out there that are buying the performance for reasons other than the actual performance upgrade. I mean, clearly not ALL based on your post, but that cant be a common decision.

It is $8500 extra for the dark paint on the wheels, CF interior and performance upgrade. Now, say the dark wheel paint & CF interior was available separate for $2k instead. I would then not pay $6500 extra for the added performance. It's worth maybe $3-4k to me, just for the "impress others with how fast an EV can be"-factor. So you can say my dark wheel paint & CF interior upgrade come at a $5k premium. It's worth that much to me at least.

I wanted performance anyway, but wheels and trim pushed me over the edge. I like the dark wheels so much more and I like the exclusivity of them. Even more rare is better, but having said that I still would love for my fellow tesla owners to have the option to get dark rims of they want.

There's quite a lot of performance buyers that want either 19" wheels or 21" silver, so a swap should not be very difficult to set up I think. The CF interior is a little more difficult to swap...

that is my decision... and I think it is pretty common

I wanted performance anyway, but wheels and trim pushed me over the edge. I like the dark wheels so much more and I like the exclusivity of them. Even more rare is better, but having said that I still would love for my fellow tesla owners to have the option to get dark rims of they want.

I wanted the (acceleration) but could not justify it alone so never brought it up. It turned out my wife wanted the leather (black w/red piping) but could not justify alone it either. It wasn't until we were in the Santana Row store locking in our configuration that we mentioned it to each other and figured in combination we could. We did add the CF on the dash because we liked the piano black, but not the fingerprints and chose CF over lacewood by a narrow margin. We're unchanged on the exterior (silver wheels and no spoiler), and with the dropping of rest of the CF exterior, you'll have to look inside to know it's a performance S.