Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Dates and Sequencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys I'm in NoVa too (Fairfax). Can I ask why you chose the DC store for delivery vs home? Was home taking longer (which is what I want).

I actually live in DC proper - delivery to my house would have meant blocking one of the city's already narrow, car-lined streets with a delivery truck. I thought about having them deliver somewhere else (perhaps my office in VA) but decided it would be just as easy to pick it up from the store. One added bonus to that approach - if there are any minor issues with the car when they're ready to deliver, I can have them take care of it right away...

Guys I'm in NoVa too (Fairfax). Can I ask why you chose the DC store for delivery vs home? Was home taking longer (which is what I want).

Thanks
Trekker

1 - they said it might be ready a few days earlier if you pick up at DC store rather than take delivery at home.

2 - i'm self-concious about a truck rolling down my residential street, backing a $100k sports car down my driveway.

3 - i know it'll be inspected, detailed, charged up.

4 - i get a nice long first drive home. :)

Wow that is fast. Lou -- when did you finalize? I am P14580 and have not finalized yet -- have until 2/14 to finalize and I want to maximize the delay to be able to line up downpayment and financing + selling old ICE car. Hoping mine would be delivered early or mid-April.

Finalized on the 10th. Definitely a surprise to see the button and even more so the delivery window if feb 9-23. Honestly was thinking mid-late march.

yobigd20,
I was in your shoes. I kept looking at the spread sheet and seeing TONS of ViNs being issued beyond my P# for no reason that I could see. I am certain there is a method to their madness and, if we knew what it was, we would drive them crazy second guessing the system and trying to game it (or at least I would). In this case, I can understand the lack of transparency.

A number of things might contribute for out-of-order production. The supplier for the dual charger may be running behind on just-in-time delivery, VINs get out-of-order on the production line, etc. In the past, when ordering from BMW, I would get an eight-week window for production, ship and transport. (And much less visibility) In a more-perfect world, we would get real time updates as our cars rolled through each stage of the assembly process along with a webcam. That would be really awesome.

Called in and got my VIN today - 4449. Looking at a factory pickup at the end of the delivery window.

what's your delivery window, if you don't mind me asking? also, are you picking it up at the end of the window because of your schedule? or is it because that's what's available?

I'm only asking because I'm still waiting for my VIN and I have a window of 2/2 - 2/16. unfortunately, my wife wants to go out of town from 2/14 - 2/17. Yikes. what timing. was hoping to pick it up before 2/14....

what's your delivery window, if you don't mind me asking? also, are you picking it up at the end of the window because of your schedule? or is it because that's what's available?

I'm only asking because I'm still waiting for my VIN and I have a window of 2/2 - 2/16. unfortunately, my wife wants to go out of town from 2/14 - 2/17. Yikes. what timing. was hoping to pick it up before 2/14....

Previous posts of his/hers say 1-23 to 2-6.

1/23 - 2/6. Not expecting the car to be finished until the end of the delivery window and then I will pick it up on a Saturday so hopefully that will be 2/9.

- - - Updated - - -

So the office was open on Saturday? I thought I would have to wait until Monday to call.

Yes - I got through calling the Palo Alto number.

I held off on that as long as possible until 1/9 even though I was eligible 12/13. I figured the longer I delayed it the more kinks they would work out. If I get it by next weekend the only way I have to charge it is to use my NEMA 14-30 dryer outlet or a 115v outlet until I get my main panel upgraded. I figure I'll upgrade so I can use PG&E's E-9B rate which requires two meters. As it is, I will need to make a small extension cord to use my dryer outlet since there's not much clearance at the outlet (requires a right-angle plug). Fortunately the local hardware store has everything available if needed. I still don't have a VIN.

I created a simple scatterplot of forecasted delivery dates for 85's and 60's. If the trend holds this course, deliveries of the 60's should catch up. Of course, the rollout of the multi-coat reds will throw this off track.

Forecasted 60 and 85 Deliveries.jpg

A number of things might contribute for out-of-order production. The supplier for the dual charger may be running behind on just-in-time delivery, VINs get out-of-order on the production line, etc. In the past, when ordering from BMW, I would get an eight-week window for production, ship and transport. (And much less visibility) In a more-perfect world, we would get real time updates as our cars rolled through each stage of the assembly process along with a webcam. That would be really awesome.

I'm surprised BMW offers 8 weeks. Here in Europe, BMW diplomatic sales say 3-5 months for production and delivery.

I actually live about 10 minutes from the service center. The reason I went there instead of having a home delivery was it was frickin' freezing outside and I wanted my orientation to be indoors. I don't know that I'd do a 90 minute drive for it, though. It's not like the place is very exciting, just a bare office or two and a 3 car-sized heated garage bay. They did have a Keurig though! :rolleyes:

On the other hand, a service center pickup means you get a nice 75 mile drive home to really put it to the test. :biggrin: Just hope your companion doesn't get too jealous having to drive the ICE home.
Ah - 10 mins distance is definitely worth it to go to the service center. I don't think my wife would be too appreciative of the drive back in the ICE either - Ha! I will definitely do the home delivery. Feb 21 - Mar 7 ... It can't come soon enough!

Feb 16 - March 2 delivery window (2013)

9960. 60 battery. Air Sus.

I live in WA and have been given a delivery window of Feb 16-March 2. I see posts and a lot of people seem to have that same window. Wondering if Tesla can really get that many cars out that quick.

Any thoughts? People who have their cars, did you get your car in the window?

9960. 60 battery. Air Sus.

I live in WA and have been given a delivery window of Feb 16-March 2. I see posts and a lot of people seem to have that same window. Wondering if Tesla can really get that many cars out that quick.

Any thoughts? People who have their cars, did you get your car in the window?

My 60 kWh should hit right in the center of my window (due on Feb 6th, window was Feb 1-15th). I just missed the last truck to Texas otherwise I would be getting it today! It was released to shipping on Jan 25th.