Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S delivery soon. Second Tesla. Two Home Chargers or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our new Model S is set to be delivered in 4-6 weeks (hopefully). We have a Model 3 we purchased new in 2019 and
had a Home Charger installed at that time.

My question is this: we plan to be in this home just 5 more years...yet we will have two Tesla come September.

Given the above, would you install a second Home Charger or not? And please elaborate.

(We have a Cybertruck on order and the plan is to keep the Model 3 until cybertruck is ready, then
sell/trade Model 3 when Cybertruck is purchased, so we will remain a two-Tesla family.)

Thanks in advance

So: Got a Model 3, 2018 and a Model Y, 2021 in the same garage. Two doors; there's a big enough gap between the doors so a Gen 2 Wall Connector goes in the middle, sans problems. And that was done with malice aforethought: The SO's car was parked on the left, looking out, so the WC was an unhook and straight in, no problem. When the MY appeared, she got that one, I got the M3, and thanked my lucky stars that it had an 18' cable. But no issues with the cable reaching at all.

In any case: My commute is such that I could probably go three or four days between charges. Her running around is in that range as well, if not longer. In the about-a-year we've been in this state, have never had a problem where both cars needed charging at the same time. Or even wanted charging at the same time.

So, in a way, it depends upon how you use your cars. If, after a full day of normal use, both cars show up at the house with 10% charge and need an overnight fill-up, then, yeah, you're going to have sharing problems and two WCs will be in your future. On the other hand, if you all are like us, plugging in a car for a $RANDOM charge works fine and the extra wall connector and wiring isn't worth the trouble.

If you do end up with two WCs, it might be worth your trouble to get Gen 2 WCs; they can successfully share a single 60A feed, built in. Otherwise, it'll be separate ones. Older Model S's had higher charging rates at 240 VAC, up to 100A, I think. Not sure what the current generation uses, but I think it tops out at 48A.

Ha. Did I mention we've got solar? With our setup and the excess energy we typically make over a year's time, that works out to around 8600 miles of skating around between both cars a year without having to pay the electric company. And we didn't even plan for things to work out that way: The panels went in in 2008.

Last edited:
Our new Model S is set to be delivered in 4-6 weeks (hopefully). We have a Model 3 we purchased new in 2019 and
had a Home Charger installed at that time.

My question is this: we plan to be in this home just 5 more years...yet we will have two Tesla come September.

Given the above, would you install a second Home Charger or not? And please elaborate.

(We have a Cybertruck on order and the plan is to keep the Model 3 until cybertruck is ready, then
sell/trade Model 3 when Cybertruck is purchased, so we will remain a two-Tesla family.)

Thanks in advance

It really depends on if you (and whomever will have the second vehicle) are ok with moving the plug back and forth between cars, or if it can reasonably reach (without being in the way of the other car if it needs to leave while one is plugged in), etc.

I have a model 3 and Y. The model 3 we had since 2018, the model Y we just got in march of this year. When my wife convinced me that she wanted us to sell her 2019 X3 that had less than 10k miles in 3 years on it, for a model Y, she also said "Oh and will I got a wall charger thingy on my side of the garage so I dont have to ddddddrrrrrrraaaaaaagggggggg yours all the way over?" (note that its a 3 car tandem garage, which means the part we park in is really a 2 car garage, and "ddddddrrrrraaaaaaaggggg all the way over" was going to be about 12 feet, lmao).

So.. yeah I have 2 wall connectors (gen 2 ones) setup in a power share between them, but certainly didnt "need" it. I dont think its going to add any value to your home having 2 wall connectors vs one or anything like that.

Its just a convenience thing. "I am going to do X in 5 years" is a long time, and for me, plans to "move in 5 years" are not really relevant as far as what I might or might want to do for a minor construction thing like this, now.

Its relevant for a "should I spend 50k on a kitchen reno?" or "should I redo every bathroom in the house?" or "should I buy 30k in solar panels?" discussion, but not "should I spend 1k or so and get another wall connector?" one at least for me.

Reactions: Joe-FV
Assuming you received a mobile connector with your 3 (the S won't come with one), you could use that as your 'backup'? As above it's all dependent on usage, but wall connector plus mobile connector - even 'trickle-charging' at 110V - may well be enough for most use cases. It gets slightly more doable if you can use a 5-20 outlet, and much more doable if you can easily install a 240V outlet of some description; even a 6-20 would give you a reasonable charge rate for your 'backup' solution.

We have a Model S long range and Model 3 long range and we park in two garages, one with a Tesla charger and one using the 120v "trickle charger" that comes with the car. It's been a learning curve making sure we have the right car plugged into the right level of charger based on when/where we're going to drive, but it's definitely doable without the extra $1000 for a new Tesla charger to be installed.

We have two HPWCs for our two Teslas. Our situation might be rare but probably not unique. We used to winter for several weeks in a warm climate leaving the Teslas back in the cold. I was concerned 120V charging would not provide enough power to heat the battery and add charge. So, to reduce my stress, we installed two HPWCs.

Now we aren’t going away for the winter!

Our two chargers rarely charge at the same time but it has happened.

The wife and I have had 2 Teslas in the garage for 3 years now. There has never been a time where we needed to charge both at the same time. We do not have long commutes. That would be the only reason I could imagine. If we had 3 Teslas we could still manage with one charger I believe.

Congrats on the new car!