Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S driveshaft failure (probably)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Pulling away from lights on a roundabout earlier this week in my 100D (31k miles).

Seconds later,about at about 25mph, there's a double popping/soft banging sound, followed by a grinding noise. Front end of the car pulls to the left, almost like it's hit some ice. Very disconcerting. Continued grinding sound.

Made it to a side road. Grinding sound continues after car stopped and put into Park. It slowly tapers off, like one of these old toy friction drive cars, or a cement mixer that's had the power cut off but continues to spin.

Tesla recovery were excellent. They turned up when they said they would turn up. Enterprise car rental (Tesla's nominated loan car provider in breakdown situations) were completely and utterly useless (that's another story).

The recovery guys and myself fairly confidently concluded that the front passenger side driveshaft had failed.

Obviously, this still has to be confirmed by the SC.

Questions....

Has this happened to anybody else?

Is it common?

What would have been the potential outcome had failure occurred at much higher speeds, perhaps on a twisty road?

I recently had the front shafts replaced by the SC to fix the graunching noise under hard acceleration issue (a known fault). Could this be related to my driveshaft failure? I'm thinking a) substandard part b) incorrectly fitted part. Or is it just coincidence?

In the meantime, I'm driving around in a Premium German Explosion Powered Death Machine. What a culture shock that is...

Thanks.

Reactions: vitesse
I've also had the halfshaft fix on my S. I'm no mechanic but i'd guess there has to be some differential gear from the motor and then the halfshafts from that. Presumably if the halfshafts have been rattling around prior to the fix or the fix junction worked loose then the diff could get graunched up (technical term). If its integral in the drive unit then a complete swap-out?? Lets hope the clevis mounts aren't worn.

Update from the SC yesterday.

They're replacing the front drive unit and associated gubbins, including shafts, Clevis thingummies etc.

Some parts already in, others on order.

Is this unusual on a Model S with just over 30,000 miles?

Sadly not, our X started making horrible suspension noises at roughly 30K, they replaced both front control arms. I've also had the most recently driveshaft and clevis mount replaced prior to the control arms failing.

Am now getting some weird grinding noise on full lock, but its inconsistent so pretty much no point making an appointment now, am pretty sure at some point a wheel is literally going to fall off, but hey ho.

Some awful bits of engineering on these things o_O

It could be worse if you were in a Model 3!!

Cannot wait to see what kind of things Tesla forget to design/build properly on the Y, especially with its new reduced wiring loom.

Sometimes I do wonder if these cars are so good drive/own more be accident than design, maybe 1000 monkeys with spanners can end up building a Tesla as well as writing the works of Shakespeare!

49463237162_c3f0d2e62f_c_d.jpg

This sounds like what mine's going in for in a couple of weeks time. 2018 MS P100D, 20-something-000 miles.
On hard acceleration there's a scraping/grinding/bearing type noise from the front drivetrain. I guessed at motor bearings or some sort of sideways movement/thrust bearing/rubbing/scraping related to motor or diff on full power but having read this thread I'm guessing it could be the cv joints/driveshafts.
Sounds common. Meh.