Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I was there Saturday from about 1:30 - 2:30 and from about 3:15 to 4:45. With two driving excursions. I was wearing jeans and a blue/green collared shirt. With a black Tesla hat. I'm about 6' with black hair.

I didn't take any real pictures. But here is one of me.

View attachment 10667

Lol... I was there. I saw you and the wife. I rolled up on my motorcycle and was harassing David and Brandon.

Glad you got some time in the car!

Chas F: When you get back from the cruise could you provide some of the decision points for adding the Tech Package? Charlene and I have it in our design studio reserved car however, I consider it expensive for not much real advantage. What made it worth the expense for you?

Chas F: When you get back from the cruise could you provide some of the decision points for adding the Tech Package? Charlene and I have it in our design studio reserved car however, I consider it expensive for not much real advantage. What made it worth the expense for you?

HID Headlamps! If this was the only option in the Tech package I would still probably get it. There is no comparison to halogens.
7 years of Navigon turn-by-turn navigation. It is probably the best out there.
Homelink is really nice, and considering there is nowhere to put a garage door opener may be worth a little bit more.
Electrochromatic mirrors are pretty cool, I first experienced them in August in a rented Lincoln MKZ. A little dark at times, but really cut down on glare.
And as stupid as I thought/think having handles come out as you walk up, I have to admit it would be WAY cool. The handles themselves are really cool.
There isn't very good visibility out of the back of the car, and the 17" screen is crisp, the HD camera might be worth something.
Power rear liftgate, probably not adding much for me. But if/when I have kids I may change my mind.
LED foglamps are sure to look cool.

I think the Navigon and HID headlamps are the real drivers here. And homelink so you don't have an ugly garage door opener sliding around your car. I personally have thought of the Tech Package as a de facto base price raise.

Electrochromatic mirrors are pretty cool, I first experienced them in August in a rented Lincoln MKZ. A little dark at times, but really cut down on glare.

The electrochromatic Homelink mirror I have hardly cuts down on the glare at all--and that's when it even bothers to do the electrochromatic thing. Most of the time I just move my head to avoid the glare. The manual kind is much darker and always works. The concept is neat, but it doesn't work as advertised. Maybe the ones in the tech package will be better, but I'm not holding my breath.

As it turns out, we have WiFi on the ship! ( I know...this is sad)

To be honest, I have never been able to rationalize that the Tech Package makes financial sense. I've posted my thoughts on this on a separate thread (is the Tech Package really worth it?). It sounds like you are in the same place I am (expensive, not much value), but there are two things that pushed me over the line:

1. Though I can afford a fully loaded model S, I have a mental $ threshold that I just am not comfortable crossing for a car. When I thought supercharging was included in the 60Kw MS, I decided to go with it for all the advantages that come with the 60 Kw but the tech package was just an unnecessary expense that became an easy drop. When TM announced the $2K additional charge to enable supercharging, this crossed my threshold again and I dropped back to the 40 Kw pack, where I originally started. With respect to my "threshold", I now have $10K of discretionary cash and feel like I can afford to splurge on the Tech Package.

2. At my test drive in Dania Beach, I asked David (store assistant manager) to "sell me" on the tech package. He ran down the usual suspects and didn't really sway me. Not his fault, there was just no new information there for me. As others have stated, the HID lights and Nav are really the biggest drivers, but I don't have Xeons now and wouldn't miss them and I have sufficient Nav on my iPhone for what has now become only a commuter car. So, I only needed a reason to go for it...if only a small one (because of #1). Turns out, it was seeing the fog lights in person that pushed me over. I know it seems trivial, but it was one of those things that I decided that day that I wanted and couldn't easily retrofit more cheaply.

So in the end, a lot of little things added up for me to add the Tech Package: $10K of discretionary budget, nagging worry that I would regret not getting it in the future for some unknown reason today, completion of a premium car (it really should be included), fog lights, enjoyment of all the remaining features over my expected 10 years + of ownership.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
The only thing I didn't like was the constant "can" usage. When watching it obviously "is" competing with high end ICEs, and winning.

The constant usage of 'can' made is seem like we need another electric car to get all the way there. But everything else made me think the Tesla Model S 'is' competing and winning against the E63 and Panamera.

The only thing I didn't like was the constant "can" usage. When watching it obviously "is" competing with high end ICEs, and winning.

The constant usage of 'can' made is seem like we need another electric car to get all the way there. But everything else made me think the Tesla Model S 'is' competing and winning against the E63 and Panamera.

It's modern PC writing. If you put in "can" then you haven't made your opinion firm on the off chance that someone calls you on your opinion. It gives the writer/host an easy out when confronted with a differing opinion.

Luckily, by watching the video you get that he really loves the car and what it can do in spite of the wording.

Nice write-up. I'd like to have seen the black with black wheels, as far as I know I've not seen a photo of that combo, and it's something I'm vaguely considering.

Black on black? Here's a whole gallery from:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-tesla-model-s-first-drive/

05-2012-tesla-model-s-fd-1347336754 (1).jpg