Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Review from Autocar UK (first posted by antochat here):

First drive review: Tesla Model S Review | Autocar

Batteries are made by Panasonic, of course, and not Pioneer.

Nice photos too and, unlike US plates, the wider front license plate looks rather neat.

Hmm... going by the comments, the Brits (except our own nickjhowe who's fighting the good war along with Brian H and others) are seemingly very ignorant of this whole Tesla electric gee whiz thing.

I saw the retweet from @teslamotors and tried to read the original using my rudimentary high school french. Having read so many Model S reviews already, this one was pretty much the same and I could understand most of it!
Je peux affirmer que si cette Tesla Model S ne connaît pas d’incident majeur dans les mois qui viennent, je ne vois pas pourquoi ce ne serait pas un succès.

Yeah, but "...lancement de la Tesla Model X, un SUV 4x4 avec des portes papillons pour 2014" cracked me up -
really? .."butterfly" wings for Model X?
Maybe Elon should rename SpaceX's lift as well: imagine the roar of the 53-ton "Butterfly Heavy" rocket.

Sorry to go off topic however couldn't resist the urge to comment:
A bit of trivia: a band back in the 60's was called "Iron Butterfly" and their album, "Iron Butterfly Heavy" depicted artwork showing them on a distant planet; I thought of their name and this album from your description of the "Butterfly Heavy" rocket. Their artwork even has some sort of propulsion device shown.

iron_butterfly_heavy.jpg

A Norwegian TV-channel's car show called Broom with it's matching website has sent a reviewer down to Germany where they have some Model S'es for testing. The review has the heading "A Christmas gift from Norwegian politicians", refering to our extremely high taxes on high performance cars and the fact that EVs are excempt from those. This a motorhead like car show which means very ICE friendly viewers, and they sent an old 70-year old diehard ICE fan down to do the review. It's obviously in Norwegian so slightly hard to read for you english speaking folks, but he did a short 40km test run and afterwards the reviewers were supposed to be driven to the airport in a new MB E-series car but he raised a stink and did get the drive to the airport in a Model S :) He also mentioned that he was talking with the Norwegian Tesla boss about buying a Model S himself. From a gearhead that dislikes technology and computers :)
Also looking at the comments you do get some of the it's an EV bleh comments but you also get quite a few looking at the price of gas and the incentives and the fact that a M5 costs around 4-5 times as much as a Model S, so before the incentives go away this is the only chance to get a M5 like performance in Norway for a regular folk price :)
A very good review all in all for Tesla.

Cobos

Hmm... going by the comments, the Brits (except our own nickjhowe who's fighting the good war along with Brian H and others) are seemingly very ignorant of this whole Tesla electric gee whiz thing.
Thanks gg! We are doing our best. I can't remember who said it, but the Model S really is exactly like the original iPad. When you describe it to someone they go...it does what? And it costs HOW much??? No thank you. And then you pick one up and the magic begins. Ditto the Model S. Once those pesky, negative Brits get their hands on a few they'll be converts like the rest of us.

Thanks @Bearman. That Gallic review was pretty good, BTW. A great read.

Jay Leno's Garage - 2012 Tesla Model S - Photo Gallery | Photo Gallery
Found this a funny comment on the page...

"Very nice. Happy to see that you got the Tesla Model S in your garage Jay, It's a good or probably the best electric car on the market after the Chevy Volt. I'm actually planning on buying one as a gift for my Uncle and a Volt for my Aunt. When I get a chance because of my tight schedule with training and recording because I'm an Martial Artist and Musician (Artist) I plan on going over to a Tesla dealer to check on out. Instant torque." Clearsky786

Are you kidding me? 'After' the Chevy Volt? Not sure by what criteria, more likely someone who just doesn't know much about the Model S... yet.