Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The entire basis of his "you can't check the range" argument got spanked when the EPA released range and efficiency numbers yesterday. The 5 cycle numbers have been proving out quite nicely in real world driving and are probably more rigorous and fair than anything we would see from JP.

I would imagine Car and Driver was invited. It would have been smart to give them a 3rd long review. Motor Trend and Car and Driver are probably the main thought leaders in the industry, while the Yahoo review will be picked up and shared on blogs across the interwebs as unique content.

I really like reading people's comments on articles and reports but the Yahoo ones make me want to punch something. At least one in 10 asks "But how long does it take to charge?" You're on the god damn internet, are there really so many dumb people that can't go to the tesla website or just google it?

Oh, and the article states that Tesla uses 7000 AA batteries, which induced a lot of even more moronic comments. I think I'll call it a night.

I really like reading people's comments on articles and reports but the Yahoo ones make me want to punch something. At least one in 10 asks "But how long does it take to charge?" You're on the god damn internet, are there really so many dumb people that can't go to the tesla website or just google it?

Take a look at the questions asked on answers.yahoo.com and I don't think you'll have to go any further for your answer.

Full-time rear view camera feed while driving forward! Eric/vfx, you got your wish!

(See the 1:32 mark in the video)

I played it over and over gg and didn't see it at the 1:32 mark?

Seemed about the 5 minute mark actually

Sorry, my bad! Been too giddy to think straight for the past few hours :)

Looking forward to the New York Times review in the next day or two!

Daily Kos: Tesla Model S Has Arrived: You Have a Duty to Buy One

Snippets I really liked....

The walking ball of Awesome that is Elon Musk has done it again, this time in the automotive arena: Tesla Motors has begun delivering its mid-range luxury sedan.....
.....the damn thing is just plain beautiful and powerful.

It shreds the racetrack, makes little or no noise, drives hundreds of miles without a recharge, smooth as silk, roomy and comfortable, looks like pure sex, and you're saving the planet in the process.

In other words, if you are an upper-middle-class person, you are obligated to buy the Tesla Model S. It's not a statement, it's not a toy, it's your duty - pure and simple. You have no other choice. Lexus, Mercedes, BWM, Audi...these cars are no longer on the menu if you are not a complete douchebag. Everything you want and more is in the Model S, so the only reason not to buy it if you have the means would be if you were a mentally disturbed right-wing sociopath who likes the idea of global warming and resource wars.

Clean up the streets and sexify them at the same time.

You have an opportunity to join the future right now.

Seeing as how Jalopnik is owned by Gawker Media who also owns Gizmodo (who has writers who really like Model S and are most likely reservation holders) I think the tides are going to turn soon for them. I don't expect a glowing article, but the doom and gloom will stop once they get a chance to experience Model S. If it doesn't then their geek card will be revoked.

Edit: What is Gawker Media: Gawker Media - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Looking through Engadget's slide show of Model S pictures it is interesting to note that:
(1) The center floor console is lined with the same material as the dashboard.
(2) The cupholders in the second row seem to fold out of the seat and they are lined with the same material as the dashboard (from GigaOm video)
(3) The rear facing seats also have two cupholders
(4) The second row has LATCH connectors and can fit 3 car seats across