Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for providing these links. I'm surprised at how poor the review is for this vehicle.

Hopefully the Model S's 17" screen will not suffer the same problems as the Fiskar such as: low contrast, difficult to see buttons in the sunlight.

I'm a little concerned about this. What is the general consensus of the Model S's ease-of-viewing the 17" display when in direct sunlight??

There has been tons of discussion on this forum about viewing the 17" display in sunlight, with the consensus being that it is not a problem.

I haven't seen any poor reviews, only short reviews - and that's probably because the car was just released yesterday. :)

There has been tons of discussion on this forum about viewing the 17" display in sunlight, with the consensus being that it is not a problem.

I haven't seen any poor reviews, only short reviews - and that's probably because the car was just released yesterday. :)

I believe pguerra was talking about the poor user review of the Fisker and not the Model S reviews/first drive impressions.

I've read a few of the Jalopnik articles. Even when trying to be even handed, which is rare there is a sense of back-handed compliments. Most of the time they are just plain mean.
They accuse other reviewers of trying to pass off 10 minute rides as full reviews, yet I have yet to see a review that doesn't mention the amount of time they got to spend with the car.
So I don't think their 'meanness' is targeted solely at Tesla?

Thanks for providing these links. I'm surprised at how poor the review is for this vehicle.

The guy doing these Karma-reviews had an early Karma, when the car wasn't really ready for release yet. It had build issues and the bugged software version ofcourse also didn't help. I believe he doesn't drive a Karma anymore. Later cars are less flawed, although some issues remain (like the slow response by the touch screen).

Last edited:
Got my answer directly from the Jalopnik editor:

What I find funny is Matt was basically crying foul because Tesla wouldn't let the media 'test' the range of the Model S.

Matt also states "I'm actually less worried about the range (if Tesla/EPA say they hit X miles I'm sure it's possible) than the conditions of battery loss and the ability of the computer to accurately gauge distance-to-empty. None of which was testable here."

So, from the Roadster owners, how often does your computer seem to inaccurately display distance to empty? I'm sure there are a few of you that have, intentionally or not, tested the boundaries.

What I find funny is Matt was basically crying foul because Tesla wouldn't let the media 'test' the range of the Model S.

Matt also states "I'm actually less worried about the range (if Tesla/EPA say they hit X miles I'm sure it's possible) than the conditions of battery loss and the ability of the computer to accurately gauge distance-to-empty. None of which was testable here."

So, from the Roadster owners, how often does your computer seem to inaccurately display distance to empty? I'm sure there are a few of you that have, intentionally or not, tested the boundaries.

I trust my two sources of range - ideal miles (if I were driving conservatively -ahem-) and estimated miles (based on how I'm actually driving). Both seem to be accurate. I pay more attention to the difference between the two when I need to eke out that last mile (meaning, I adjust my driving habits). Both are accurate and both are useful sources of information.

And yes, I've taken it down to a few stray electrons bouncing around in the battery box without ever running out of range.

You guys makes great points about Jalopnik, and I agree that they are blatantly anti-Tesla. I'd like to add one other observation about them not being invited to the event yesterday:

Jalopnik is basically the Enquirer/TMZ of the automotive media world. Which is fine. Clearly, there's a place for that in the world. But the Enquirer and TMZ don't get invited to movie premiers. And yesterday's Model S event was the automotive world's equivalent of a movie premier.

Hopefully the Model S's 17" screen will not suffer the same problems as the Fiskar such as: low contrast, difficult to see buttons in the sunlight.

I'm a little concerned about this. What is the general consensus of the Model S's ease-of-viewing the 17" display when in direct sunlight??

"We're happy to report that it's easy to read in direct sunlight and isn't too distracting -- ditto the instrument panel. "
-http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/22/tesla-model-s-first-drive-the-sports-sedan-goes-electric/

Charging. Unlike most electric cars where you have to buy a home charger, and have it installed, the Model S' recharger is built in. That saves a lot of money and hassle, although owners will still want to have their garages' electric systems upgraded to 240 volts. Even with that, the 300-mile version will take up to eight hours to recharge.
Good first drive review, but that part is off. Most EVs now do have a charger (albeit one that supports a lower charge rate) on board.

Good first drive review, but that part is off. Most EVs now do have a charger (albeit one that supports a lower charge rate) on board.
While that's true, most people, who don't read these forums, think that the $1,000 to $2,500 thing they have to purchase when they purchase an electric vehicle is the charger. Tesla differentiates itself in that you can purchase a $30 RV plug and install it for $200 or so (depending upon the wiring required, YMMV). Of course, Tesla will happily sell you a $1,200 thingie too:smile:, but it's practical to get a Tesla and not have one.