Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Front Bumper Refresh Instructions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
where to find your gap filler plastic?

thanks
At the local paint and body store. I want to clarify something, do not fill the parking sensors only with plastic body filler-first weld it closed with mesh and welding plastic then smooth with plastic body filler. On another note-the welder plastic filler came with the plastic welding kit- u can fix just about anything plastic with it. Highly recommend as a “for life tool”.

At the local paint and body store. I want to clarify something, do not fill the parking sensors only with plastic body filler-first weld it closed with mesh and welding plastic then smooth with plastic body filler. On another note-the welder plastic filler came with the plastic welding kit- u can fix just about anything plastic with it. Highly recommend as a “for life tool”.

I believe he's talking about the 3D printed part that I make for the gap between the bumper and the hood. I already replied to him.

If you need a quick rundown of a bumper refresh retrofit, I made this video as a resource (also shows Charles' 3D printed part):

Thanks so much for the post! You've by far made the best video of the process. I didn't have the guts to cut my bumper, so I bought the new louvres which are a direct fit. Anyone scared to cut the bumper and mess it up, just buy the new louvres which are plug and play. One thing you didn't show was moving the homelink sensor over. I'm sure you ran into that. Did you also have the issue with the hood lever? I had to remove the plastic knob on my hood lever.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Thanks so much for the post! You've by far made the best video of the process. I didn't have the guts to cut my bumper, so I bought the new louvres which are a direct fit. Anyone scared to cut the bumper and mess it up, just buy the new louvres which are plug and play. One thing you didn't show was moving the homelink sensor over. I'm sure you ran into that. Did you also have the issue with the hood lever? I had to remove the plastic knob on my hood lever.
Thanks Charles! I may have bought the new louvers, but I ran out of time (and honestly didn't want to spend the money). I didn't move the horn or the homelink or the hood lever. You will notice from the video we hid trim the Tesla Badge Support bracket around the homelink. The new bumper didn't interfere with the hood latch at all...

Reactions: TheCharlesChen
Thanks Charles! I may have bought the new louvers, but I ran out of time (and honestly didn't want to spend the money). I didn't move the horn or the homelink or the hood lever. You will notice from the video we hid trim the Tesla Badge Support bracket around the homelink. The new bumper didn't interfere with the hood latch at all...
I’m assuming you only had one latch as I did not watch the video but have installed plenty of bumpers. Older model s have two latches which is why some may have to remove the latch. As far as other parts I don’t believe it’s necessary to relocate them either however it is recommended to relocated the the temp sensor if you live in warmer climates as it can effect the readings when you install the newer bumper. Other than that if you understand how to cut the v-stripe hardware you can successfully install the bumper without relocating anything. I’m going to watch your video cause I can always learn something new and better.
The biggest issue now doing a oem refresh is purchasing the parts from Tesla, as they clearly don’t want owners with an older model s to be able to update it to look just like the facelift model s. And buying off eBay is not something I recommend as you will pay much more for a damaged bumper or double to triple for a new one. They cost $600 from Tesla unpainted.
I can get facelift bumpers for $1,000 that are primed and ready to paint that are identical to Tesla’s oem facelift bumper. You would still have to buy the other parts but with Tesla cracking down on selling parts (they will not sale any parts that don’t go to the Tesla you own anymore, lame!) it’s still a good deal for a brand new bumper with the sensor holes precut as well.

Reactions: TheCharlesChen
Great Video

Here’s what the oem facelift bumper looks like. Its identical to Tesla’s and has all the same holes and mounts included to mount the parts too. It cost around $800 brand new unpainted not including shipping. When I went to the Tesla service center their bumper over $600 unpainted before taxes and Tesla now charges $1,480 for their bumper as they only sell them painted.

Who has successfully installed the new hood? I know it has been done but not without serious complications along the way. If I decide to install a prior design bumper I want it to look perfect. I know I can install the old hood and it doesn’t look terrible but I want the gap as small as possible as well as the bumper not sticking out at all. Any videos of the hood being removed etc?

8CEED1AD-690D-474E-A601-320E80CB45F5.png
DBFECE55-E857-4B66-9D0F-8D7E4F144A8C.jpeg
B4E7CBEE-538B-4241-A5CF-E9A42144E254.jpeg
D41CE27D-A8D9-4540-8083-39A2955CDABB.jpeg
7FEBA13D-DD99-4E25-BED0-351AF41122CC.jpeg
E4084333-7B6E-4F8B-8AEB-34495814D5EE.jpeg
FBDDBA05-4CEF-497F-A74D-F426D5CE315D.jpeg

Attachments

• 18A24B6A-E00D-4D1A-BA06-179C27C5554B.jpeg
    18A24B6A-E00D-4D1A-BA06-179C27C5554B.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Great Video

Here’s what the oem facelift bumper looks like. Its identical to Tesla’s and has all the same holes and mounts included to mount the parts too. It cost around $800 brand new unpainted not including shipping. When I went to the Tesla service center their bumper over $600 unpainted before taxes and Tesla now charges $1,480 for their bumper as they only sell them painted.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say it's "identical to Tesla's." Is this an aftermarket part? If so, where is it from?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say it's "identical to Tesla's." Is this an aftermarket part? If so, where is it from?
It’s a remanufactured unbranded bumper that my friend gets. Idk who makes it. Maybe since it’s a direct copy of Tesla’s bumper they might not be able too manufacture it legally. It’s not made in China and is extremely light unlike unplugged’s bumper which is one of the heaviest bumpers I’ve ever encountered. I do not like how unplugged’s bumper is made, the material used is not like most bumpers. This one is extremely flexible and comparable to the nose cone bumper, basically identical. The prior design bumper is also stiffer than it but definitely still extremely light however feels much more delicate to potentially crack or damage when handling

• Informative
I make them per order. I just mailed one to Netherlands.
Figured I would try the grill filler out but no need. The hood gap is surprisingly small and I did what I’ve learned from Nicola Brussels and screwed the covers down to cover the top of the V stripe hardware. This was using the Oem Tesla unbranded Bumper I just got. I don’t even have the mounts to screw the bumper and v stripe to the the mounts. By far the easiest bumper I have ever worked with.

CF8BD659-51F9-4746-B063-B9F8122AF71B.jpeg
901EB050-E030-48AB-8358-0D8EDFFEFFCD.jpeg
9422F8A1-8535-4452-AE6B-258505AB842E.jpeg
A656BE3F-F987-443E-932D-3C62F909DCFE.jpeg

7F0893AE-2BD8-44C6-80D1-C795E3C6980B.jpeg
F07E24CB-5762-47B2-8826-158D4BCFE486.jpeg

Last edited:
I hear the wiring harness is shorter on the old bumper. Would a harness the new bumper fit on a pre-Facelift
I would assume it would considering the harness is for the parking sensors and fog lights.
Hi Victor P85- can you please share the shop info. I would love to bring my car there to have it done. Thank you very much.
Jus send him a PM

Charles Chen did you get my message? I wanted to see what we could potentially do with the UP V-Bar I have before I sell the bumper. To me that’s worth more than the bumper lol, for anyone doing the conversion and not adding a new hood

If anyone knows someone looking for a facelift bumper I have s brand new one primed with the pre cut holes and park assist retainers and fog light brackets already mounted. If you live in So Cal or Arizona and are not handy I can do the entire install for you

I also have an Unplugged Performance facelift bumper. I actually installed the fog lights and louvers so if someone did want it they could just swap parts with me and most the work is done.

I would assume it would considering the harness is for the parking sensors and fog lights.

Charles Chen did you get my message? I wanted to see what we could potentially do with the UP V-Bar I have before I sell the bumper. To me that’s worth more than the bumper lol, for anyone doing the conversion and not adding a new hood

If anyone knows someone looking for a facelift bumper I have s brand new one primed with the pre cut holes and park assist retainers and fog light brackets already mounted. If you live in So Cal or Arizona and are not handy I can do the entire install for you

I also have an Unplugged Performance facelift bumper. I actually installed the fog lights and louvers so if someone did want it they could just swap parts with me and most the work is done.

Does the UP Vbar fit the OEM bumper?

Does the UP Vbar fit the OEM bumper?

Yes it does if you widen the openings at the bottom which is what I also had to do to fit the oem v-bar on their bumper. Anyways I was wondering just how advanced you are with making something that is a v bar substitute rather than just a gap filler. And I’m not expecting you to be able too from scratch without having a template let’s say.
Honestly the UP bumper does look pretty good as far as design but besides that it is lacking so much from a company that one over charges for everything they sale and two have one of the most advanced and best looking kits on the market today, besides the bumper, which hasn’t changed just like their facelift bumper that basically looks identical. However once again the s apex kit is way overpriced, big surprise. The one thing the facelift bumper has is their custom v bar that does a great job at getting rid of the gap as well as tricking your eyes from not noticing the underbite as much based on how they did the t badge etc. But the actual product is cheap, tacky and plain *sugar*, especially when you’re spending $3,300. You would think they would just make the carbon fiber t bar option they offer standard which is why I used an oem one.
So I was wondering if you had the actual product to use if you could make something that serves the same purpose but doesn’t look like *sugar* and actually fits right as far as theirs having small gaps in it that if I ever installed their bumper I would use adhesive to make it look right.
Ideally I would love to do a partial carbon fiber one but that may be asking too much. If it could at least have the v bar be frp or chrome and the rest rubber or whatever the hell its made out of it would be a huge improvement from what they have.
I also have another option potentially as I am friends with the owner of Revozport and could see if he could do something with it as well. Lmk I am currently trying to sale it but would hold off to make something that owners could use for their own projects that plan to keep the original hood. I could ship the part to you so you have exactly what you need at your disposal too use.
As far as timeframe it really would come down to you believing if you could do it as I believe that part is worth more than the entire bumper they made lol. Meaning that part is far more impressive than their bumper is, as there are so many things I could tear apart about the bumpers flaws most being that they made it as cheap as possible from the parking assist retainers, to the mounts for the fog lights and louvers. It may work but it’s half ass and for $3,000 all those should be simple plug n play.

• Informative