Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Front Bumper Refresh Instructions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
attached are the unrestricted parts I ordered for $259. i didn't order the lower grille duct ($179) nor the under bumper plastic b/c I waiting for them to appear on ebay for a reasonable price.

Is there a large panel gap without the under bumper plastic shield? Just concerned about collecting a bunch of dirt and rocks without it.

I am in Houston also. Did the SC give you any problems for buying parts that do not match your VIN? You go to North Houston or Westchase location?

Is there a large panel gap without the under bumper plastic shield? Just concerned about collecting a bunch of dirt and rocks without it.

I am in Houston also. Did the SC give you any problems for buying parts that do not match your VIN? You go to North Houston or Westchase location?

Yes there is a large gap under the car;however, I dont think there will be a problem of collecting rocks since the area doesnt allow for that. Westchase didnt give me any problems ordering but i had to wait a month for some of the parts ( thats when i painted the bumper).

Reactions: rknp85plus
Yes there is a large gap under the car;however, I dont think there will be a problem of collecting rocks since the area doesnt allow for that. Westchase didnt give me any problems ordering but i had to wait a month for some of the parts ( thats when i painted the bumper).
Hi Victor P85- can you please share the shop info. I would love to bring my car there to have it done. Thank you very much.

Extra pics

Attachments

• 0A3EC37A-57E7-44AF-B207-C10BCDDD9576.jpeg
    0A3EC37A-57E7-44AF-B207-C10BCDDD9576.jpeg
    331.5 KB · Views: 487
  • 1E436181-3A57-4D3A-BC58-6AC453BC9631.jpeg
    1E436181-3A57-4D3A-BC58-6AC453BC9631.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 430
Victor, this is awesome! What plastic filler did you use to smooth out the black center trim you bent up? Also, did you use plastic adhesive promoter prior to spraying your primer or is the brand of primer you used set up for plastic adhesion?

I have painted in my garage before, so I very tempted to do this.

Chop110,

I used fiber flex that comes with the plastic welder kit. Make sure to cut the 3 slits i recommended prior to bending. Also, i used 3m adhesion promoter prior to doing the primer. If you are filling the holes for the parking sensors( like i did) make sure to smooth the plastic with a plastic body filler & not bondo.

Hello All,

I just finished doing the bumper refresh and will not sugar coat this sh**. i have attached a .pdf which has almost all the things that you may find necessary to do the conversion. the schematics are missing the lower grill duct & under bumper tray.
Here's what I did: Bought a bumper from ebay locally ($225) then went to local auto paint shop and purchased paint matched primer, PPG base, & clear coat ($300).I was quoted $1000 to do this and it pissed me off so I decided to do it myself in my garage . Got the bumper home and had to seal up the parking sensors-so I used my plastic welder with metal mesh on back side until flush (1.5 hrs). Followed by using plastic filler to make it super flush after sanding (0.5 hrs). Sanded the entire bumper with 220 grit sand paper then sprayed primer over the whole thing--and sanded (3 hrs). Sprayed 4 layers of base coat then sanded with 600 grit the next day (3 hrs). Sprayed 3 coats of clear then sanded with 600 grit next day (3 hrs). Sprayed 3 more clear coats and sanded with 1000,2000, then buffed with polishing compound until glassy. Finally bumper is painted!
Pulled the car onto my ramps and easily removed the bumper with 10 mm bolts, 2 torx screws, and a bunch plastic holders (20 min first time ever). There's a center radiator plastic that needs to be removed fromt he car as well (2 min). Removed the louvers from each side (torx screws) then the fog lights. Installed the fog lights on the new bumper and attempted to do the louvers but the hole is not the same (that's what she said). I had to cut away the new bumper hole to make it more shallow and used the old bumper as a template (do not freestyle it!). After getting and acceptable fit- I had to plastic weld 2 mounting screw holes for each side louver closest to the center line of the bumper. there are 4 total (2 screw into the fog light) center 2 are non existent. At this point I realized this kind of stuff is all about problem solving (4 hrs). Bumper is ready!
Mounted the bumper (5 min). Done! I will upload some pics of what I did later. Hope this helps wrap your brain around whats needed. This should be considered enjoyment BTW b/c a lot of time was spent sweating in the garage.

Hi,

Can this facelift front bumper OEM be done on an autopilot AP1? Thank you in advance.

Well taking the plunge with T-Sportline. Started by wiring/splicing 2 wires into the frunk emergency unlatch button and intend to make them tucked in and accessible behind the Tesla logo in front after making a small hole to feed them through in the void behind where the T sticks on to the new bumper refresh.

Can then pop the hood with a small 9 volt battery, in case of dead 12 volt battery, by touching the 9 volt battery wires to the respective terminal on the 9 volt transistor battery.

I will be splicing a 9 volt plugin to the wires for ease of touching the 9 volt battery terminals and using velcro to hold the 9 volt plugin behind the T logo until the attached wires need to be pulled/stretched out to touch said battery. Do not plug the battery onto it, just touch it.

Once the hood is popped, the three panels around the tub sides and front can be snapped out and then jumper cables can access the 12 volt car battery jumper posts if needed. There is no need for a cable release attachment.

Last edited:
Well, I think that trying to bring the 9 volt emergency release wires out from behind the T logo, will be too hard to get fingers in the void to pull them out. So, I will bring it out and velcro it in the top center of the lower grill where it meets the skin to make it obscured from view or there are other places to hide it such as behind the pop out for the tow hook. It is currently a work in progress so I may place it there or elsewhere...

It looks great and besides routing the hood release emergency wires, I just need to attach the T logo and get the clear wrap done to protect the new T-Sportline bumper and the hood as that needed painting too because of all of the stone chips.