Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S help with dead bug stuck in turn indicator unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This stupid bug crawled into my right rear turn indicator light unit and died. It’s a 2019 P100D. The light unit looks sealed. Compressed air and a pressure washer don’t seem to have any effect. My closest service center is over 4-hours away. Do you guys happen to have any idea how to get it out? Thanks.
613AE16F-DCFF-493E-B7A8-8550AD3A5428.jpeg

This stupid bug crawled into my right rear turn indicator light unit and died. It’s a 2019 P100D. The light unit looks sealed. Compressed air and a pressure washer don’t seem to have any effect. My closest service center is over 4-hours away. Do you guys happen to have any idea how to get it out? Thanks.
View attachment 578883

Well, after OVER 8 YEARS of building these we would all hope that Tesla's QC would be a bit better than it is.

This is not your problem, it's Tesla's. Make them fix it. You're under warranty: send the pictures (and take some more, esp close up) via your Tesla app and have MOBILE SERVICE replace your tail light.

Perhaps we can all hope there's some sort of feedback loop at Tesla where they bill their supplier for defective parts, like unsealed tail lights? Few things tend to get attention like chargebacks . . . .

Please let us know how it goes!

Thx.

View attachment 578883

Common issue. I even have this issue on my Mercedes. I recall seeing a video on YouTube on removing the lights

With LED , one need bigger vents to let moisture out....and bugs in. That goes for all cars.
A little disassembly and high pressure air will blow it out, you will find the vents on disassembly, glue on some tiny mesh/fabric if you live in bug infested areas or are unlucky.. this is not related to Tesla any more than other modern cars

With LED , one need bigger vents to let moisture out....and bugs in. That goes for all cars.
A little disassembly and high pressure air will blow it out, you will find the vents on disassembly, glue on some tiny mesh/fabric if you live in bug infested areas or are unlucky.. this is not related to Tesla any more than other modern cars

Not attacking this premise, but I cannot recall ever seeing another car with bugs in the tail lights, particularly a high-end brand.

Even if your report is accurate, it's a design fault on Tesla's part; since he's under warranty, this repair task is something for a Tesla Mobile Service Technician, who should report this replacement or repair so as to improve the process of manufacturing tail lights for Teslas.

Root cause analysis would save SO much work for Tesla's techs . . . .

Reactions: PhilDavid
Well, after OVER 8 YEARS of building these we would all hope that Tesla's QC would be a bit better than it is.

This is not your problem, it's Tesla's. Make them fix it. You're under warranty: send the pictures (and take some more, esp close up) via your Tesla app and have MOBILE SERVICE replace your tail light.

Perhaps we can all hope there's some sort of feedback loop at Tesla where they bill their supplier for defective parts, like unsealed tail lights? Few things tend to get attention like chargebacks . . . .

Please let us know how it goes!

Thx.
if bugs can get in, so can water

Not attacking this premise, but I cannot recall ever seeing another car with bugs in the tail lights, particularly a high-end brand.

Even if your report is accurate, it's a design fault on Tesla's part; since he's under warranty, this repair task is something for a Tesla Mobile Service Technician, who should report this replacement or repair so as to improve the process of manufacturing tail lights for Teslas.

Root cause analysis would save SO much work for Tesla's techs . . . .

It happens with other high end brands. Perhaps not as much. Don’t know.

Bugs in my tail lights - MBWorld.org Forums

Bug in Tail Light - Xoutpost.com

An idea on the Xoutpost thread appears to have worked for that car. See attachment.

Attachments

• 5AF857B9-385F-4EF9-8061-027F74039F07.png
    5AF857B9-385F-4EF9-8061-027F74039F07.png
    155.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
View attachment 578883
WHAT DID YOU DO, TO ENTICE THAT INNOCENT CREATURE INTO YOUR LIGHT?!

{Ah, another bug in heaven, to join his quattuordecillion friends... If we can go to Heaven, why can't they? You prejudiced?}

• Funny
Reactions: hcdavis3