Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S HPWC to Roadster for charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ibcs

Jan 31, 2010
Ohio
Okay, I'm new with the roadster 9/27/13, but I need some insight.

Would it be possible to have a pigtail for the Model S HPWC to Roadster charging connector. I ask this because within the last two weeks Tesla has added 18 charging locations for Model S near their show rooms Columbus, OH, Cincinnati, OH and Indianapolis, IN. All within range of the roadster and great charging locations. Having the ability to use an HPWC for charging the roadster would be outstanding at 70 amps or any charge rate higher than 30 amps at 208 volts. I already have the J1772 CANN adapter which is great for traveling, but this would be perfect.

Thoughts - Could this be built?

---Kent

The CANN is not the problem, I'd be happy with almost any high charge rate I think it supports 70 Amps. I want to be able to convert the Model S HPWC to plug into Roadster connector. I think this would have to be supplied by Tesla.

---Kent

I'm surprised Tesla has not come out with one already since it seems they are no longer supporting the Roadster connector. There was one at the Santana Row store, and once it broke they replaced it with a Model S charger.

Henry is testing a Model S to Roadster adapter though, not sure what/when his plans for releasing are.

Okay, I'm new with the roadster 9/27/13, but I need some insight.

Would it be possible to have a pigtail for the Model S HPWC to Roadster charging connector. ... I already have the J1772 CANN adapter which is great for traveling, but this would be perfect.

Thoughts - Could this be built?

---Kent

You just need an adaptor from Tesla Model S plug to J1772, since you already have the CANN. No way will Tesla build this, or you'd have every Nissan LEAF in the world snuggled up for gratis electrons.

As to a Model S charge station to Roadster adaptor, I think Tesla could built this (just like they have already built the reverse). Wouldn't it be easier... far easier to install a Model S receptacle on the Roadster, and then use all the adaptors that are widely available.

I'm surprised Tesla has not come out with one already since it seems they are no longer supporting the Roadster connector. There was one at the Santana Row store, and once it broke they replaced it with a Model S charger.

Henry is testing a Model S to Roadster adapter though, not sure what/when his plans for releasing are.

If Henry builds it I'll buy it! A Model S to Roadster adapter would extend the usefulness of the Roadster in many situations. Send me a PM Henry when it's ready!

If Henry builds it I'll buy it! A Model S to Roadster adapter would extend the usefulness of the Roadster in many situations. Send me a PM Henry when it's ready!

OK, you're on my list! I've been using a prototype of this adapter since July when I had it on display at TESLIVE. It's gone through 4 revisions since then to get to a point where I can produce it at a reasonable price. It's more difficult than the CAN J1772 adapter. Hoping to have it ready soon.
IMGP0032.JPG

OK, you're on my list! I've been using a prototype of this adapter since July when I had it on display at TESLIVE. It's gone through 4 revisions since then to get to a point where I can produce it at a reasonable price. It's more difficult than the CAN J1772 adapter. Hoping to have it ready soon.
View attachment 37905

That's Beautiful! I'm sorry I missed it at TESLIVE. At that point I was a roadster dreamer instead of an owner. Thank you for posting can't wait until it's available.

Henry, hope I'm on your list, too, from several months ago. Would love to get my hands on one. Quick question - what would happen with your upcoming adapter with a Roadster at a Supercharging station? I'm guessing nothing would happen but just figured I'd ask.

View attachment 37905
Add me to the list as well. Keep me informed and thanks for the effort!

OK, I added several names to the list. Thanks everybody!

- - - Updated - - -

...Quick question - what would happen with your upcoming adapter with a Roadster at a Supercharging station? I'm guessing nothing would happen but just figured I'd ask.

Your guess is correct - absolutely nothing would happen. Superchargers only use DC and the Roadster will only charge on AC. Further, the SC station uses a serial communication protocol and since there would be no response from the Roadster, it would act like it wasn't even plugged into anything.

OK, I added several names to the list. Thanks everybody!

- - - Updated - - -

Your guess is correct - absolutely nothing would happen. Superchargers only use DC and the Roadster will only charge on AC. Further, the SC station uses a serial communication protocol and since there would be no response from the Roadster, it would act like it wasn't even plugged into anything.

Hi Henry,

My roadster is going to service on Tuesday should I request the 80 amp firmware upgrade to work with the new adapter? Is it required?

I hope you don't mind all the activity created by my question. I just think you have the perfect product for Roadster owners.

---Kent

Hi Henry,

My roadster is going to service on Tuesday should I request the 80 amp firmware upgrade to work with the new adapter? Is it required?

I hope you don't mind all the activity created by my question. I just think you have the perfect product for Roadster owners.

---Kent

The firmware is required for the latest version of this adapter. All the earlier versions contained electronics to overcome this bug. In light of the firmware upgrade, I changed the electronics. Tesla has always updated my firmware whenever there was a new version without my asking them. But every service center is different and I suggest that you ask to make sure they install it.

Thanks,
Henry

Last edited:

Why would you be surprised? Tesla has completely forgotten that they ever built the Roadster or that they still have customers out there driving them. The fact that they can't be bothered to put in 70A Roadster chargers at the supercharger stations shows just how little they care.

Why would you be surprised? Tesla has completely forgotten that they ever built the Roadster or that they still have customers out there driving them. The fact that they can't be bothered to put in 70A Roadster chargers at the supercharger stations shows just how little they care.

Hi Bolosky,

Take some time to read the Supercharger spec PDF. You might be very happy with what you find. Give Tesla some time - I myself as a new roadster owners are holding the faith.