Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance Rates in Chicago Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any suggestions for an insurance carrier for a Model S60D in the Chicago area? I take delivery in about six weeks. Called my current carrier, GEICO, and they want $2,000 every six months versus 1/6 that amount for my current car (2010 Camry Hybrid). I understand that number may come down a lot once I get a VIN and they realize that I have not purchased the P100D, but I would really like to shop around just in case they stay wacky (that is wacky, right?).

I'm in Chicago and in the process of exploring buying a Model S60/75D and recently asked my current provider (State Farm) for a general quote based on my current policy. They quoted me around $850 every six months. For reference, I currently pay around $600 every six months for a 2015 Mazda 3. I have multiple policies with them and there are some other discounts built into the quote that may or may not apply to your situation.

Details:
quote.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Thank you for the great input. I got a $650 quote from Progressive and an $850 quote from State Farm, with slightly more coverage, and also have my house insured through SF as well. I will try Travelers next. Something is obviously wrong with Geico and their $2,000 quote! Good thing insurance is not going to be as bad as I thought because I just got a massive quote to install a 240/50 amp outlet to charge the car - close to $2.5k. I know that is very configuration-specific though. My panel is in my basement and I have a detached garage so they have to run a wire from my basement to the side gangway and then bury it underground until it reaches the garage, and then cut into the garage. Glad I did not know about that until after I placed my order because the wife may have nixed my Tesla dream at that point...

Thank you for the great input. I got a $650 quote from Progressive and an $850 quote from State Farm, with slightly more coverage, and also have my house insured through SF as well. I will try Travelers next. Something is obviously wrong with Geico and their $2,000 quote! Good thing insurance is not going to be as bad as I thought because I just got a massive quote to install a 240/50 amp outlet to charge the car - close to $2.5k. I know that is very configuration-specific though. My panel is in my basement and I have a detached garage so they have to run a wire from my basement to the side gangway and then bury it underground until it reaches the garage, and then cut into the garage. Glad I did not know about that until after I placed my order because the wife may have nixed my Tesla dream at that point...

Ask your electric company how much to install a 2nd meter in the garage. That makes the charger install a piece of cake and you get the benefit of really easy energy monitoring. I bet that's cheaper

I hope one of those insurance options works out for you!

If you haven't already switched your electric plan to ComEd hourly rates, I recommend it. Much cheaper when charging off peak (overnight).

Here is my hourly pricing referral link:
http://refer.comedrrtp.org/CUSTOMER...8195-42d8-91d5-0ad98f6b10f4&type=ShareUrl

Last edited: