TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model S Insurance Rates in Chicago Area

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Northside, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Northside

Northside Member

Any suggestions for an insurance carrier for a Model S60D in the Chicago area? I take delivery in about six weeks. Called my current carrier, GEICO, and they want $2,000 every six months versus 1/6 that amount for my current car (2010 Camry Hybrid). I understand that number may come down a lot once I get a VIN and they realize that I have not purchased the P100D, but I would really like to shop around just in case they stay wacky (that is wacky, right?).

2. LuPapa

LuPapa Member

That seems really high, perhaps some others who live in Chicago can chime in. If you qualify for USAA through yourself or a family member their insurance rates are usually some of the lowest in the industry.

3. Northside

Northside Member

Thanks, unfortunately, I don't qualify for USAA.

4. holysmoke17

holysmoke17 New Member

I'm in Chicago and in the process of exploring buying a Model S60/75D and recently asked my current provider (State Farm) for a general quote based on my current policy. They quoted me around $850 every six months. For reference, I currently pay around $600 every six months for a 2015 Mazda 3. I have multiple policies with them and there are some other discounts built into the quote that may or may not apply to your situation.

Details:
    quote.PNG

• Informative x 1
  5. esk8mw

esk8mw Active Member

Progressive, believe it or not. 400 every 6 months on a new P90D. Good coverage, 500 deductible, 100/300 etc.

6. lithiumfire

lithiumfire Member

$400/six months with Travelers.

7. lithiumfire

lithiumfire Member

I had to move my homeowners to Travelers to get this rate. I actually saved a lot on that end.

8. Northside

Northside Member

Thank you for the great input. I got a $650 quote from Progressive and an $850 quote from State Farm, with slightly more coverage, and also have my house insured through SF as well. I will try Travelers next. Something is obviously wrong with Geico and their $2,000 quote! Good thing insurance is not going to be as bad as I thought because I just got a massive quote to install a 240/50 amp outlet to charge the car - close to $2.5k. I know that is very configuration-specific though. My panel is in my basement and I have a detached garage so they have to run a wire from my basement to the side gangway and then bury it underground until it reaches the garage, and then cut into the garage. Glad I did not know about that until after I placed my order because the wife may have nixed my Tesla dream at that point...

9. LuPapa

LuPapa Member

Ask your electric company how much to install a 2nd meter in the garage. That makes the charger install a piece of cake and you get the benefit of really easy energy monitoring. I bet that's cheaper

10. lithiumfire

lithiumfire Member

#10 lithiumfire, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    I hope one of those insurance options works out for you!

If you haven't already switched your electric plan to ComEd hourly rates, I recommend it. Much cheaper when charging off peak (overnight).

Here is my hourly pricing referral link:
    http://refer.comedrrtp.org/CUSTOMER/prospect-invite/?EID=87a20050-8195-42d8-91d5-0ad98f6b10f4&type=ShareUrl

11. Northside

Northside Member

Thanks for the ComEd tip!

12. lithiumfire

lithiumfire Member

No problem! If you decide to switch, we both get $50 from comed for the referral.