Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just amazing how messed up these companies can be state to state. A month ago I waltzed into my Allstate agent's office here in NorCal and they pulled the Model S right up (even noting it was Performance which I'm sure didn't help my rate) and charged me $659 per 6 months. I can see the rates being different but you'd think they'd share a computer system and so would at least list the car. Weird.

As I explained to Steve in posting #232, the problem might be that the agent tried looking up a 2013 model and not a 2012 model.

Larry

As I explained to Steve in posting #232, the problem might be that the agent tried looking up a 2013 model and not a 2012 model.

Larry - Thanks again for the suggestion. I asked the agent to find the car under 2012 and she was shocked that is was there. As you mentioned, the price was competitive. Almost as low as Geico and when you add the multipy policy discount that I can't get with Geico because they won't cover my home Allstate wins with a very reasonable rate.

Thanks again!

I called my insurance company (Amica) yesterday. The still don't have the car in their database and said they need to contact underwriting. They told me they would call back in about 30 minutes. No callback yesterday or today. Will call them on Wednesday to see what is going on. Can't believe they can't locate the car in their database.

Just called Geico, and the gentleman with whom I spoke said they do not write policies on electric vehicles... ANY electric vehicles. I asked him to check with his supervisor, and to specifically mention Tesla, and he came back with the same answer. Was very nice about it, but it was a very clear "no way". Does anyone already have Geico insurance for a Tesla in this group, or has had a policy quoted for a Tesla?

Just called Geico, and the gentleman with whom I spoke said they do not write policies on electric vehicles... ANY electric vehicles. I asked him to check with his supervisor, and to specifically mention Tesla, and he came back with the same answer. Was very nice about it, but it was a very clear "no way". Does anyone already have Geico insurance for a Tesla in this group, or has had a policy quoted for a Tesla?

That's very interesting. I went to Geico website and got a quote for Tesla model S at approximately $1200 a year. They had Tesla model S on their website. This is in California.

Below is an excerpt from an email that I received from geico for the quote for the Tesla model S.

Here are the details of your GEICO General Insurance Company quote.
Coverage Limits Premium
Bodily Injury Liability(BI)
2013 TESLA S 85KWH $300,000/$500,000 $96.00
Property Damage Liability(PD)
2013 TESLA S 85KWH $100,000 $89.70
Medical Payments(MED)
2013 TESLA S 85KWH Not Included N/A
Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist
2013 TESLA S 85KWH $300,000/$500,000 $29.30
Comprehensive(COMP)
2013 TESLA S 85KWH $500 deductible $96.30
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage
2013 TESLA S 85KWH Not Included N/A
Collision(COLL)
2013 TESLA S 85KWH $500 deductible/Collision Deductible Waiver $327.50
Emergency Road Service(ERS)
2013 TESLA S 85KWH I accept this coverage/No deductible $4.70
Rental Reimbursement(RR)

That guy must be out of the loop. Tons of people in this thread have quotes from Geico (like myself).

I was quoted $140/month in south florida for the Model S performance from USAA, clean record, 38 years old... 5 other cars on the policy...

I know it's not apples to apples because I have no idea what coverage levels you were quoted but I too have a clean record and live in South Florida. My quote was $615.60 for 6 months from Geico.

I too got a quote from GEICO my previous insurer. I ended up going to Progressive.

I am having problems getting a quote from my insurance company, Amica. The Tesla is not in their system. They have to go to underwriting. They told me they do not normally insure $90K plus cars. Then underwriters came back with a quote of about $2K/year, but it is for the Roadster. Still waiting to hear re: the Model S.

I like Amica, but may have to look elsewhere. What insurance companies do people in Maryland recommend.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Rodolfo Paizviewpost-right.pngJust called Geico, and the gentleman with whom I spoke said they do not write policies on electric vehicles... ANY electric vehicles. I asked him to check with his supervisor, and to specifically mention Tesla, and he came back with the same answer. Was very nice about it, but it was a very clear "no way". Does anyone already have Geico insurance for a Tesla in this group, or has had a policy quoted for a Tesla?

This response from Geico totally mytifies me. I have been a more than satisfied customer with Geico for over 25 years. When I called they just needed to know what size battery pack I was getting and what coverage I wanted...no problem.

I am having problems getting a quote from my insurance company, Amica. The Tesla is not in their system. They have to go to underwriting. They told me they do not normally insure $90K plus cars. Then underwriters came back with a quote of about $2K/year, but it is for the Roadster. Still waiting to hear re: the Model S.

I like Amica, but may have to look elsewhere. What insurance companies do people in Maryland recommend.

I'm also an Amica customer in MD and just got a quote of $958 a year which is about what we're paying for our two cars (Prius & Odyssey) now. I called last week and got the same story - someone from underwriting will call you next week. I called the national office again today since no one has called back. Since I don't have my car yet, I gave them a VIN found in the forums just to get a quote. I tried to finagle the VIN to what I *think* mine might be and their system was smart enough to know better.

For comparison, I got a ball park quote from Liberty Mutual that was almost $600 a year for the Model S. This includes multi-car and corporate (about 10%) discounts.