Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doing an online quote from Geico for our 2 existing vehicles (Toyota Tacoma pickup and Chevy Volt), plus the P85 Model S, is over $500 less that what AAA is charging is for 2 vehicles ($2127 vs. $2647).

I'm on hold with AAA, who can't seem to find the Model S by VIN, or even by looking up Tesla. Geez, I can't be the first of their insured to try to get a quote for one, can I?

After 27 years with AAA, it looks we will be saying goodbye to them. Their service is great, but their prices have shot up over the past few years, and though I would pay a small premium to stick with them, I'm guessing even if they do find the car, it will be about $1250 more a year to stick with them.

EDIT: AAA finally came back and said the policy for the 3 cars would be over $5200! Insane!

Last edited:
I thought I was all set to buy coverage through Progressive, but when I called the broker today to activate the thing they ran into an error in the process. They were able to use my VIN to get a quote but when they went to purchase the coverage the VIN was invalid... I'm going to talk with them tomorrow and hopefully they can iron it out.

I thought I was all set to buy coverage through Progressive, but when I called the broker today to activate the thing they ran into an error in the process. They were able to use my VIN to get a quote but when they went to purchase the coverage the VIN was invalid... I'm going to talk with them tomorrow and hopefully they can iron it out.

You should cal Geico before paying for Progressive

I used Geico for around $350/6 mos...half of what USAA quoted me, and I have been with them for a dozen years.

Y'know, it begins to sound like the whole industry operates on WAGs; there is no rational metric or standard that could account for such discrepancies. So the customers' best strategy is to survey the field, every time, and see who is guessing low.

My delivery is scheduled for next week. I've got a Model S performance coming and I live in Southern California. I've been with AAA auto insurance for over 15 years, but their quote was insane. Here is what I got today:
AAA = $2750 / year Wawanesa - $1643/year GEICO = $1425 / year
I kept my other 3 cars on AAA, but the Model S will be on GEICO. This is for 100/300 BI coverage, 50 property, 100/300 Uninsured Motorist, and $500 deductable.
I too am in So Cal & have been with AAA for a LONG time! I'm at BI 500K/500K, Property 100K, UI 100K/300K & $500 deductible with 15K annual miles...
I just added my MSP to my AAA account...
(with all my good this and that discounts as well as long time sucker discount and multi-car & homeowners discounts, etc.)...
$2,396/yr!

Maybe I need to do some shopping now?
Of course, THIS may have to do with my high premiums...
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ster-Owner/page2?p=39138&viewfull=1#post39138
Tree-Hugs-Roadster-Owner: ... "Both of those added value to what AAA was going to give me for the totaled car. In fact dollar for dollar, I got about 25% MORE than I paid for the car"
The good news is that, as an end user, AAA was VERY good to me.

I would like some opinions on what auto insurance companies are the best, regardless of price! I want the best coverage I can get including if my friend drives the car and crashes it, knock on wood! I heard Geico and Progressive are good. My dad always had AAA but I don't know if I like them. I have Safeco now which I don't think is good enough. I want the best for my baby! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Got my first call from my DS yesterday so I'm putting all my ducks in a row to be ready for the car. Soooo excited! Hard to sleep!:biggrin:

If cost is no object and customer service and responsiveness are primary, then Chubb is fantastic. I would summarize them as insurance for extremely wealthy people, which they basically specialize in.

I have no association to Chubb. My father worked in business insurance for nearly 30 years before a total career change, and although he is nowhere near wealthy, he places a premium on insurance service after all his years in the industry. He has had Chubb insurance on his home and cars forever and would never switch.

I never have paid for Chubb because they were always so much more expensive than other companies, but my father has always nagged me with: "you get what you pay for"

Hope that helps

Cheers

Quote I just got from Geico on my 85kWh Performance:

$300k/$300k bodily injury
$300k/$300k uninsured/underinsured motorist
$100k property damage
$30/Day, $900Max rental reimbursement
$500 comprehensive and collision deductible
Full coverage for emergency road side
12,000 annual miles

$729 /6 months.

I currently have six other vehicles covered with Geico.

Quote I just got from Geico on my 85kWh Performance:

$300k/$300k bodily injury
$300k/$300k uninsured/underinsured motorist
$100k property damage
$30/Day, $900Max rental reimbursement
$500 comprehensive and collision deductible
Full coverage for emergency road side
12,000 annual miles

$729 /6 months.

I currently have six other vehicles covered with Geico.

I get anywhere from $650-699 depending upon options for six months. I gather you like Geico?

My current insurer is MetLife and they don't know what a Tesla is, so....