Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model S 60. Insurance increased $100 as I got a ticket last year after 7 years. Insurance was around 560 before. I have total of 3 cars with Geico.

GEICO
Vehicle total 6 month premium: $658.00
Comprehensive $75.40 Deductible: $250
Collision $376.80 Deductible: $500
Bodily Injury Liability: $100,000/$300,000

Your location where the S will be garaged & operated, you age, your credit rating and driving record have a great deal to do with your quoted rate.
These factors account for large quotation variances and make for a lot of head scratching... e.g. why is that guy getting a really lower rate... (he probably is 60+, 800+ credit rating and lives in some very rural area where theft is nil and has had no moving violations in the last 10 years).
Also, deductibles and having agreed upon replacement value are also big factors as are the injury and liability $ values.
And I have been told that leasing vs owning may be a factor, there is data that leads insurers to feel that owners are much more careful with their autos than are those who lease.

AndreyATC is asking the right questions, IMHO.

Last edited:
SabrtoothSqrl:
You should be good.

I just ran numbers for The 2013 Prius and a 2015 P85D (Model S Performance) they actually did not have P85D as a choice).
It will run me $320 more per year than my current policy which has the Prius and a 2011 Volvo XC60 R Design.
With all things/limits and factors being the same 250/500 BI. 100K PD, 5K Med, 250/500 Uninsured Motorist, 1K Deductible, no road service I have AAA no rental for same reason.

So for 2 cars, 2 drivers, $1683 per year total. Not too Outrageous.

I'll shop around when it becomes closer to reality this summer. I'm selling my Jeep and 2 of my jet skis... to help w/the cost of the Tesla... I don't want to... but I do want that Tesla.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I panicked when I thought maybe everyone was paying $175/month insurance... that's just too much...

What a fun process to switch insurance company for everything... especially if you have a mortgage...

If they were willing to deal, I'd stick around, but that's just too much.

Im shopping, too as I just put an S85 on order. I have 1 moving violation and 1 speeding ticket in the past 3 years.

It's pretty clear which providers are familiar with Tesla and which aren't. I currently have State Farm and they quoted $800/6 mos. Costco Ameriprise quoted $2200/ 6 months - a freaking joke. AAA quoted Safeco at $1780/year and travelers at $2160/year. All with gap, all 250/500.

They also said, and it makes sense, that until they have the VIN the quote can be as much as $100 off.

Anyhow, good luck.

I'm paying $1200 per year for full coverage and high limits, but I registered it as a commercial vehicle. In MA insurance is a lot cheaper if the policy is under a company, with my record (few speeding tickets) different insurance companies were asking between $2800 and $4000 per year, something I wasn't willing to do. As soon as I put it under my company the rate dropped down to $1200 for full coverage and $500 deductible and higher limits (not sure what the numbers were).

The best part is my driving record don't matter and anyone can drive the car, not just the person on the policy. I don't know what the reason behind the huge difference between commercial and private insurance policy is in MA, but it works for me well. :) The other good part is that if I get into an accident and it's my fault (depending on accident severity) it won't go on my driving record, as it's a commercial vehicle.

Don't take my words for granted, speak to your insurance agent, I'm sure it varies a lot state by state. It matters where you garage the vehicle, ask them about that too.

Insurance question

This is not the typical insurance question asked on here. My question is all my cars have 250/500 with state farm (4 cars now with the tesla). The tesla for me is going cost this per 6 month:

250/500: $516
500/500: $540
1mil/1mil: $572

What would you opt for and why. I am questioning this more with a higher priced lux car. Opinions appreciated.

This is not the typical insurance question asked on here. My question is all my cars have 250/500 with state farm (4 cars now with the tesla). The tesla for me is going cost this per 6 month:

250/500: $516
500/500: $540
1mil/1mil: $572

What would you opt for and why. I am questioning this more with a higher priced lux car. Opinions appreciated.

I am a State Farm Agent. What you are describing is the bodily injury liability part of your car insurance policy. This is what the insurance carrier will pay for injuries YOU cause ($250,000 per person, $500,000 per accident). So you ask the question, which one would you opt for. The answer is personal. If you feel you have $250,000 or under of assets and income to protect, go the $250/500 route. If you feel the need to protect 500k of assets and income, go the 500/500 route. If you have assets/income in the 1 mill range, go that route or seek an umbrella from your Agent. This particular coverage has nothing to do with the Tesla and everything to do with the injuries you cause. Hope that helps.

It's worth noting that the "same" insurer (AAA, for example) may have the car in their database in one state and be totally unable to write insurance for it in another state. :-( I really think the insurance thread should be per-state.