Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had Kemper Direct (Unitrin, was Response Worldwide) for 2004 Chrysler Pacifica and 2005 VW Passat TDI Wagon for $1600 a year (in Florida). Switched to AARP Hartford and added my new Tesla S P85 for a three car policy for $1990 a year (with discount for paying for full year). Everyone else was quoting $2900 - $3400 per year for three vehicles. Very reasonable insurance rates for Tesla with one year term (not six months though it is an option) from AARP Hartford Auto Insurance.

Our State Farm 6-month insurance premium for our Tesla Model S went from $726 in March 2013 (with two cars insured for $450 + $726 = $1176) to $1061 in September with only one car (the Tesla, the second car was sold in May).

fyi State Farm was THE HIGHEST QUOTE I had received when I was shopping around. I looked at about 12-15 insurance companies. I'm sure there are probably some that are even higher, but the quote I had received was beyond absurd (it was something like $2200/6mo just for 1 Tesla MS). I highly recommend avoiding them for Model S insurance.

- - - Updated - - -

oh, and geico's quote was pretty absurd too. but that was more of a NJ things for them , Geico's response to me telling them there prices are insane was something like 'based on our statistics drivers in NJ have the highest accident rates in the country...." yadda yadda yadda so it was simply a statistics thing for them - has nothing to do with the car or your clean record or clean driving history.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI I just renewed by policy with Progressive in NJ. I decided that 100/300/100 coverage wasn't enough (especially after the big P85 price increase last month). basically $100k is no longer enough to replace my car option for option. I decided to upgrade my policy to a $500k CSL blanket. This increased my rate a little bit but IMO it's not too much more. I also reduced the deductibles from $500/$750 for my other car (2013 Ford Flex) to $250 so that also increased it a tad bit. Last thing I added was $2100 coverage amount for aftermarket items (XPEL Ultimate and 3M Crystalline tint). If I didn't change this policy, and god forbid I got into an accident, to replace my P85 with a matching one today plus XPEL and tint would be very close to $120k which the old 100/300/100 policy isn't enough for - I'd be $20k short. Now I can sleep in peace.

So this new $500k blanket policy for liability and uninsured motorist + $250 deductible for comp & collision + $50 deductible for windshield coverage + $2100 coverage for my XPEL and 3M Tint costs me $588/6mo for the P85. I think that's a pretty decent deal, especially in NJ which is a "no fault" state and premiums are typically higher than most places in the country.

Old and new policy:

mynewpolicy.jpg

I ended up going with Progressive,

Both my mum and myself on the policy, mum as 10%, myself as 90%, both Foreign Drivers License, I'm 25 years old, without a USA D/L, and It ended up being about $1580 for 6 months.

I got the 100/300/100, with $1000 deductibles with CDW.

Funnily enough, this is still cheaper than insurance in Australia that I had for me as a 25 year old, on my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (6.4L).

So not a single fk was given :)

I just switched providers. Progressive gave me a good quote for the Tesla and my Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, but I had to keep a third car on the policy until I sold it. When I went to drop that third car, suddenly Tesla + Evo is $300 more per half than that original quote. So I swapped to GEICO at a savings of about $450 a half. Originally I was willing to pay a little more for Progressive having been with them for awhile with good experiences, but nothing worth nearly $1k. There's no loyalty bonus discount in CA, so no real reason not to give someone else a shot.

Ended up with 500/500 + $500 deductible @ $1266 a half for the two of us (married and 32yrs old) and those two cars. Pretty decent, considering that Evo is extremely expensive to insure (more than the Tesla for a car currently worth 1/4 as much).

30 year old male, haven't had insurance in 7 years as I've been riding around on a bicycle (boy, is this going to be an upgrade). Clean record, no infractions, accidents, etc.

Here are the quotes I received for zip code 94301... FWIW, these are 6 month rates with $100k/$300k:

AAA$699.00
Progressive$827.90
Geico$828.00
State Farm$868.00
Farmers$1,018.92
The Hartford$1,075.00
Amica$1,100.00
Nationwide$1,212.00
Ameriprise$1,558.90
Liberty Mutual$1,576.00
Allstate$2,232.00
Rates in general seem pretttyyy high. But I think that's due to my zip code, lack of insurance recently, and the overall cost of the car.

Anyone have any bad experiences with AAA or general positive feel on them?

Last edited:
30 year old male, haven't had insurance in 7 years as I've been riding around on a bicycle (boy, is this going to be an upgrade). Clean record, no infractions, accidents, etc.

Here are the quotes I received for zip code 94301... FWIW, these are 6 month rates with $100k/$300k:

Rates in general seem pretttyyy high. But I think that's due to my zip code, lack of insurance recently, and the overall cost of the car.

Your AAA rate is pretty good. I'm in a similar age group, and same area, but pay $750/6month for Progressive but 300k for everything coverage $1000 deductible. AAA is pretty good, they have an office in downtown 94301, so it's pretty convenient to do things.

Look pretty much in line with what I've seen. The Bay Area (CA in general?) is expensive for auto insurance. Mine nearly doubled after having moved from Chicago, all things equal. In Ohio before that we'd been paying $450 a half! :eek: All three locations with the same 2 cars.

Your AAA rate is pretty good. I'm in a similar age group, and same area, but pay $750/6month for Progressive but 300k for everything coverage $1000 deductible. AAA is pretty good, they have an office in downtown 94301, so it's pretty convenient to do things.

It's good to know that AAA has a nearby office, and it seems like they have quite a number of agents around the area too. Glad to see we're roughly on-par there!

Look pretty much in line with what I've seen. The Bay Area (CA in general?) is expensive for auto insurance. Mine nearly doubled after having moved from Chicago, all things equal. In Ohio before that we'd been paying $450 a half! :eek: All three locations with the same 2 cars.

Yeah, it definitely seems like it's more expensive here :\ But to be honest... for how many accidents I see around the area (e.g., on 101), the rate increased is likely justified. Such a high number of cars, large freeways, high speed limit, and obviously expected careless drivers. I just came from PA, and I didn't have an equal car at the time... but it's definitely significantly higher than those in PA I know with cars of similar value.

Thanks for your responses! Glad to see the prices I'm seeing aren't entirely crazy.

AAA$699.00
Progressive$827.90
Geico$828.00
State Farm$868.00
Farmers$1,018.92
The Hartford$1,075.00
Amica$1,100.00
Nationwide$1,212.00
Ameriprise$1,558.90
Liberty Mutual$1,576.00
Allstate$2,232.00

I've been with AAA in one form or another for over 30 years. When I got my S, I called USAA to see if they could beat the rate, and they could not. Their customer service is great, and historically any body work/repairs have been done by top flight body shops without a hassle.

YMMV.

I had a different experience. My state farm agent quoted me in the mid 700's, less if not primary vehicle. That was for a non-performance 85kwh. Think you need to shop around...

You better consider shopping around. I have had state farm for 20 years. They have never had to pay to repair my car. I was in a accident with my P85+ and state farm would not pay for seven thousand dollars of the repair. After delaying for two months they still refuse to pay for two thousand dollars of the repair. My Tesla has been in the shop for 3 months. A associate had his car in the same shop here in Portland OR and state farm litigated his repairs instead of paying. State farm is choosing to litigate instead of repairing the Model S. I consider stories of insurance corps paying for other vehicles other than the Model S of little value when discussing weather said insurance corp will pay for Model S repairs. I will be litigating with state farm and I happen to know the shop has repaired 75 Tesla's. For court I will find out how many have been state farm repairs and of those how many were settled in court. I am sure 25 were state farm and most were litigated. State farm refuses to pay and the insurance commission seems to cheer them on.

- - - Updated - - -

I've read that State Farm is gouging Tesla owners. If that's the case we're gonna insure the Tesla at Geico or Progressive. If we are happy State Farm might just lose the rest of our business as well. I almost fear they are getting "too big to fail" and we know how that goes... ;)

Yes, State farm is bad. They refused to pay for 7000 dollars of my repairs, after complaints to the Oregon insurance commission and two months delays they refuse to pay 2000 dollars. In hindsight I wish I would have paid the 7000 dollars and sued state farm for the 7000 as I will be sueing them anyway for the 2000 dollars. My car has been in the shop for 3 months now.

AAA$699.00
Progressive$827.90
Geico$828.00
State Farm$868.00
Farmers$1,018.92
The Hartford$1,075.00
Amica$1,100.00
Nationwide$1,212.00
Ameriprise$1,558.90
Liberty Mutual$1,576.00
Allstate$2,232.00

I've been with AAA for years. I have found them exceptional on claims.

Here is my quote: $100/$500 deductibles and $746 for a year. This is for a P85D. I live in zip code 95066 (Nor Cal).

I don't get it. I went from Allstate in S. Cal. (about $850 for 6 months) to Ameriprise about $350. Full coverage with 250/500 liability. I have a very clean driving record so I guess circumstances vary :)

Just wondering how you were able to get Ameriprise to cover you when I spoke with an agent and look through their website and the agent said they don't cover Teslas, the website's lust of cars doesn't have the Tesla name on their manufacturer's list? I was hoping they would provide coverage.

Insurance Costs

So, I'm looking for a used S85 black on black.

Found one in CA, and give the VIN to my insurance company. (fly out, drive home)

$1,000/6 months?! (All State)

I've had no accidents, no speeding tickets. I have a house, 3 other cars, boat, and 4 jet skis on the policy.

I've never had a claim with them.

What are you guys paying, and with who? This seems like a crazy lot of money just for this...

Thanks!

I thought the insurance on my 2012 Wrangler was a rip off... ugh. Can't win.

Last edited:
Shop around. Based upon reports here on TMC over the past year, the price of insuring a Model S varies dramatically by location and company. We switched from Allstate to Geico when we replaced our Mini Cooper with a Model S and as a result, saw very little net increase in our policy.