Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I never stole anything. But one summer I 'hacked' my garage remote to open my neighbors garage. But that was before rolling code so it was only 9 bits. And I did it brute force ... I was bored a lot as a child.
Yeah, the old DIP switch models don't count. Those were "hacked" all the time. People would drive up and down neighborhoods during the day when most people were at work w/ rolling code transmitters. Drive slowly and watch the doors open....

Rates vary significantly state to state.
And, they can vary for many other factors besides just that. It's useless to compare insurance between two different people unless you both have identical credit scores, age, marital status, zip code, EXACT same coverages and deductibles, etc. When there are multiple cars in on a plan, the one that gets designated as primary gets the higher rate. If you switch, sure the former primary goes down but the total ends up being about the same.

To quote from MY350Z.COM Forums - View Single Post - The Top 100 Common Questions
Q: How much will my insurance cost? How much are you paying for insurance, I want to compare to see if I'm paying a fair price?

Please don't ask that question. Ever. It is the most useless question that can be asked on this or any other automotive forum. Why? What you, I and anybody else pays is dependent on several factors: who your insurer is, where you live, how old you are, how many accidents/tickets you've had, what kind of discounts you get from your ins. company, how many cars and drivers in your family, etc.

As you can see, unless somebody is in exactly the same socio-economic situation as you are, they won't be paying the same for insurance. The only way to get a decent idea of what you'll pay is to call your current insurance agent or visit their website.
As I posted elsewhere:
Being in WA state helps. (I had a former roommate from UCLA when we both went there and he saved a TON of $ by switching his Los Angeles insurance to WA for the 3 months we were interning in WA.)

Remember that insurance rates are highly dependent on where you register the car, and on what coverage you request. If you have several cars and a home, you may be better served by buying an umbrella liability policy and getting weak per-car liability coverage. (In the US, liability is a huge cost driver.)

Insurance

(yes, I know there are a handful of other threads I could have posted this in, but the links would not open and I am impatient this morning)

Here is an excerpt of an email response I received from my insurance carrier.

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX, 

We received your email regarding your new vehicle.

As you requested, we processed a tentative quote to add the Tesla Model S to your current policy. The estimated six month policy premium will be $X,XXX.XX, an increase of approximately $621.41. Please keep in mind this is just an estimate.

To add the vehicle to your policy we will need the following information:

• Vin
• Sticker Price
• Purchase Price
• Vehicle Performance( i.e standard, high performance)
• Estimated annual miles to be driven per year
• Primary driver

We value your business and the opportunity to serve all your financial needs.

Thank you,
Cristina Cummings
USAA

USAA means United Services Automobile Association and its affiliates.

FWIW.

WJ