Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Estimate of $1500/year with $500 deductible through All State. They didn't have the car in the system, and even using a VIN i found on the forums didn't help so I won't know the true cost until it really happens.

To those getting quotes like this, especially when they don't have the car in their system, run, don't walk, to get other quotes.
Could be lack of discounts, or just the zip code you live in, but this seems really high.

Thanks to TMC members, I was determined to get a good rate and dropped my current insurers today in favor of State Farm.

That's funny. I've been with State Farm for many years, and my home and cars are with them. Adding my Model S to the policy was going to cost me approximately $1,300 more per year -- no points on my license, perfect record. When I priced my portfolio with Progressive, all told it was going to be flat to add my Model S compared with what I currently pay. I suppose I'll have to check with my agent again to see if their pricing systems changed.

To those getting quotes like this, especially when they don't have the car in their system, run, don't walk, to get other quotes.
Could be lack of discounts, or just the zip code you live in, but this seems really high.

No, I got something like that too from Allstate. And that was back in July. Figured by now they'd have the car in the system. Love my Allstate rep, been a family friend (almost) for nearly 20 years, but it sounds like I'll be switching.

- - - Updated - - -

The takeaway is to switch from one to the other; staying with one for too long is a poor idea.

This is true. I was with Allstate for 15 years or so, switched to Geico, saved a ton of money. Two years later, got a quote from my old Allstate rep, and switched back, and saved even more money. I'll be doing this every 5 years or so.

Just liability. Bodily Injury 25/50K, Property Damage 15K, Uninsured Motorist 25/50K. 12,000 miles per year.

I can easily imagine how damage coverage would be very expensive for this car!

Mine is actually only $132.60/6 months for just liability. Bodily Injury 300/300K, Property Damage 100K, Uninsured Motorist 300/300K. 8,500 miles per year. Also Geico. One of the few advantages of being boring and middle aged. :smile:

Comp and collision is another $381/6 months with $1000 deductibles.

Allstate in VA, they did have trouble with the VIN and took over a month to come back with the price. I think still confused since they call it a Roadster! $788 for 6 months, 100k/ 300k/ 100k and $250 deductible. I will go back for a higher deductible to see what that does.

I live in LA, shopped around and no one could beat my current carrier, Encompass for $1,350 / 1 year with 250/500 with $500 deductible incl uninsured & 100 prop damage. Progressive, AAA, All State were all considerably higher. Odd thing was original quote was $1,629 but when the policy was bound, the actual cost was $1,350.

As you read this thread, remember that insurance rates are highly dependent on your city and state of residence, as well as specified insurance coverage and your driving record. All these variables make it impossible to say "I should keep shopping until I can match so-and-so's rate quote." The real "take-away" is which insurance carriers are giving better relative rates, which presumably won't differ much across regions.

I use State Farm and they have everything in their system.... everything including battery pack size, Signature vs general production, and Performance vs standard. My quoted price was about $150 more a year than the Lexus LS600hL I replaced. I'm sure having a Signature Performance bumped up the price.

Just placed another call to Farmers. They still do not have the Model S in their system. I asked if I needed a VIN, and the rep said she is aware of the vehicle and it just isn't in there system. However, 21st Century is partnered with them, and they will provide me with the following coverage:

$250,000/$500,000 bodily injury, $250,000/$500,000 uninsured driver injury, $500 deductible, $100,000 property

Cost = $741/6m

Suburban Chicago. Two cars. Two kids. No record.

Farmers in TX told me today it would be an additional $2500 PER SIX MONTHS to insure the S Perf. I have had two cars with them for over 20 years...

That's messed up. USAA if you can get it doesn't even classify the Model S Performance as a performance car since the Model S Performance falls under the HP/weight (might be other way around) ratio they have to determine if something is performance car. I'm sure there are probably cheaper rates than USAA as well.

Not really important, but I ran my Signature VIN of 1045 through a quote a State Farm. It classified my VIN as a non-signature car performance model S. Actually, I put in Sig Performance and it said my VIN didn't match with this configuration. It matched with the non-Sig. More salt for the wound.

Maybe your premium ended up being lower than that of a Sig?!