Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bodily injury coverage seems low if you ever get in an accident. People sue for hundreds of thousands of dollars for the smallest thing today. I have 500K bodily injury plus an additional 1M ballon policy.
It's very prudent to have a $1 million umbrella policy; such a policy sits over all your vehicle and home policies. The terms of the umbrella policy dictate what the coverage needs to be in the underlying policies.

This also includes coverage for my 2005 Toyota Corolla.

Here are the quotes I got:
USAA (which I've had for 10+ YEARS!): $1660/yr
State Farm: $1262/yr
Progressive: $1070/yr
Geico: $809/yr

I just had a crazy experience with Progressive. Tesla's not in their system and the first person quoted me roughly $3000 for 50/100/50, etc. coverage. WOW! I'm not sure what her role was--not an underwriter (she couldn't even advise on the coverage I had, but I forget who she said I'd have to talk with...not an underwriter but some other type of role).

I called back, annoyed and wanting that "we'll quote our competitors" thing they do. Apparently they only do that for new people (or new quotes?), but I was shuffled to an underwriter, who had to call me a couple of times while researching my quote (after getting the basic info from my account and a few more details from me). She was baffled how the original quote had been done without being asked the value of the car! ;-) For value, I had to admin $93,300 (she wanted tax and title included, but not tax credits).

Long story short, the absurd $3000 quote dropped to $1435/6 months when she updated my old policy--apparently grandfathered and without all the cool stuff they do now. I hate insurance companies....

But then with a couple more Qs, she quoted me a final $699/6 months as a new policy (including paid-in-full discount)! Not as good as my $533/6 months on the 2000 Miata, but tons better than the absurd $3000 or even the $1435 "updated existing policy" quote.

That's not counting a $18 discount for paperless, raising my comprehensive deductible, and adding $28 new "full glass" coverage (essentially $0 deductible for comprehensive for glass, which I'd never heard of).

So it's not as good as Todd's $1070/year Progressive quote for two cars ;-P and I will check Geico and USAA (my other half's on USAA and multi-car apparently helps a ton; if I kept the Miata, the combined rate would be $868/6 months).

So my lessons learned, which I knew but didn't realize would affect things so much, are (a) talk to an underwriter and (b) have any quote rewritten as a new quote. Sheesh, this should just be automagic.

- - - Updated - - -

(my other half's on USAA and multi-car apparently helps a ton; if I kept the Miata, the combined rate would be $868/6 months)

Whoops, ignore that part; the multi-car/one-person discount is huge, but it's just like 10% or so savings with the two of us with two cars...still, worth me checking out.

- - - Updated - - -

Geico online quote (not sure how accurate those are) is $891/6 months. ;-( They make me claim my other half, though, unlike Progressive, and also we've each had a speeding ticket in the past few years but Progressive doesn't seem to care (or it just doesn't affect us as much, or maybe they just haven't noticed yet?)...hmm.

I strongly recommend the $0 deductible on glass. That's the only claim I've ever made on my BMW policy, and I've used it to buy 3 new front windshields -- for free. Stone chips, etc are all too common around here.

Same here! It's got to be the most common comprehensive claim out there. I'm surprised, but thrilled, they have this. Geico doesn't appear to.

And I figured out Geico's quote; they are really sticking it to me on the collision deductible; a $500 deductible costs $431.58 for the Model S, while Progressive's $500 deductible costs only $180. Some of that may be due to Progressive letting me exclude my other half, but still.

Weird. I selected Tesla Model S online when signing up and encountered no issues. That would be nuts if having a make/model in their system would be state-specific! (the *rates*, yes, but the car?)

When I tried it a few days ago, it wasn't an option on the web site, but I was logged in and I don't remember just how I got to the page. When I called, I spoke with two people--one, an underwriter!--and both said it wasn't in their list! But looking at the site right now (and it's creepy that going in anonymously, it pulls up the cars at my house...only one of which is insured by them!...), I do get it via their Flash interface. The interface I used before was different though, as a customer, didn't look anything like the one I get from progressive.com. Maybe that's why?

I dunno, I think they are a confused company and I am a confused customer of theirs. ;-)

And I figured out Geico's quote; they are really sticking it to me on the collision deductible; a $500 deductible costs $431.58 for the Model S, while Progressive's $500 deductible costs only $180. Some of that may be due to Progressive letting me exclude my other half, but still.

Erie (who can't give me a quote without a VIN, huh) said that speed cameras don't count, only real in person ones. So I redid the Geico online quote out of curiosity and now it's $661, a little less than Progressive (but ultimately not enough to make me change, methinks, given the "full glass" option from Progressive and a little customer loyalty on my part). ;-) Still gotta check USAA though.

I live in NC and my current insurance Co., AllState quoted me $607/6-months, State Farm, $450 and Geico $254. In addition, Geico quoted my other 2 cars about 50% less with my family good driving records. I know which insurance company I will go next.

Best insurance for my model s!

I would like some opinions on what auto insurance companies are the best, regardless of price! I want the best coverage I can get including if my friend drives the car and crashes it, knock on wood! I heard Geico and Progressive are good. My dad always had AAA but I don't know if I like them. I have Safeco now which I don't think is good enough. I want the best for my baby! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Got my first call from my DS yesterday so I'm putting all my ducks in a row to be ready for the car. Soooo excited! Hard to sleep!:biggrin:

I live in NC and my current insurance Co., AllState quoted me $607/6-months, State Farm, $450 and Geico $254. In addition, Geico quoted my other 2 cars about 50% less with my family good driving records. I know which insurance company I will go next.
The quoted rates are especially interesting in light of the J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Survey that rated Allstate toward the bottom and both GEICO and State Farm in the mid-range. The Hartford, Liberty Mutual, and American Family were the top rated car insurance companies http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz...-companies-with-the-most-satisfied-customers/ .

Live in Arizona. I was quoted $1100/6 months by my original insurance company American Commerce, but then I got a great rate from Progressive - $490/6 months. In fact I switch all of our 4 cars and 3 drivers (including my 16 year-old daughter) to Progressive for about $1700/6 months which was less than I was paying for American Commerce for only 3 cars without the Model S.

I don't have my car yet but I called USAA to find out what my rate would be once I got it. Some of the postings here had me concerned.

They quoted me $630/6 months. I'm in California and carry a $500 deductible. Estimated 8000 miles/year.

My delivery is scheduled for next week. I've got a Model S performance coming and I live in Southern California. I've been with AAA auto insurance for over 15 years, but their quote was insane. Here is what I got today:

AAA = $2750 / yearWawanesa - $1643/year
GEICO = $1425 / year

I kept my other 3 cars on AAA, but the Model S will be on GEICO. This is for 100/300 BI coverage, 50 property, 100/300 Uninsured Motorist, and $500 deductable.

A lot of companies are struggling to finance and insure the cars, since they are so new.

My delivery is scheduled for next week. I've got a Model S performance coming and I live in Southern California. I've been with AAA auto insurance for over 15 years, but their quote was insane. Here is what I got today:

AAA = $2750 / yearWawanesa - $1643/year
GEICO = $1425 / year

I kept my other 3 cars on AAA, but the Model S will be on GEICO. This is for 100/300 BI coverage, 50 property, 100/300 Uninsured Motorist, and $500 deductable.

A lot of companies are struggling to finance and insure the cars, since they are so new.

Thanks for the info. AAA is on my list since they claim I'll get some big % off due to being a member for so long. Otherwise I wouldn't have thought of them (despite being a member! I know, I'm a dork). ;-)

My agent said I can not get a quote with out a VIN. How are you all getting quotes?

What company? From the ones I've looked at online and spoken with, some seem to require it and some not. The Progressive underwriter didn't need one; I think USAA's site required it (I may be misremembering--might've been another company). I don't know why they'd need one unless they just can't trust someone when they say "it's a Tesla Model S year 2012" or whatever (some kinda legal/liability thing their lawyers require). I'm sure once I go to start the insurance they'll require the VIN.