Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm also in SoCal. AAA prices seem to have gone up over the past few years, and I'm anticipating going with another provider when my S arrives, after being with them for the past 26 years.

I'll still have to keep my AAA membership, it's been passed down in our family since my grandfather worked there in 1921, and the membership card says member for 91 years, which always confuses the folks that I talk to at the club ("Thank you for your, errr, 91? years of membership?")

Good lord! I just got off the phone with AAA and they quoted me $4,463 a year with a $1,000 deductable. That price was for 20,000 miles of driving each year and 25K/25K for comp & collision. I have no accidents, no tickets, and I've been with them for 6 years and have other policies with them! I think my only crime is that I’m in SoCal.

Needless to say... im going to take my business else where.

Have you checked out USAA?

I've had USAA for maybe 15 years now and love them. Highly recommended.
I was able to get it through my father but neither of us was in the military (have a brother that was though). I agree, great to see so many military people here and using USAA. Great company but not always cheapest.

USAA quoted me $2,572 a year for the Model S with a$1,000 deductable.

So its $474.88 more over what I'm spending now. Which isn't to badconsidering the Model S is worth three times the Honda it's going to replace!

Its also $1,891.00 cheaper than the $4,463.00 AAA quoted me for the samepolicy... good by AAA, hello comparisons shopping!

+1 on the Geico recommendation. Prudential and State Farm had some outrageously high quotes. Geico gave me a quote for my three vehicles...(including the Tesla) and the rates compare to ordinary cars of equal value. I am switching to Geico in the morning. (I am not affiliated with Geico, the gecko or anyone associated with Geico)...they just made me a great offer.

+1 on the Geico recommendation. Prudential and State Farm had some outrageously high quotes. Geico gave me a quote for my three vehicles...(including the Tesla) and the rates compare to ordinary cars of equal value. I am switching to Geico in the morning. (I am not affiliated with Geico, the gecko or anyone associated with Geico)...they just made me a great offer.

You got real lucky. I tried Geico once and they were $800 more for six months than Progressive.

I am with 21st right now, and got a rate that was essentially $2400/yr for the Model S performance and 15k miles per year.
Just got off the phone with AAA, and because we insure our house, and have both been accident/ticket free, we got the Model S and our Honda Odyssey for $2240/yr.

I have all of my insurance with PURE (house, umbrella etc), and they've royally hosed me on my premium for the Model S. I'm hopeful it's just ignorance on their part. They provide such good service I don't mind paying a bit more, but I'm probably paying double what I should. Hopefully as more PURE policy holders take delivery they will take a closer look. I also am hoping that when the five-star safety ratings are official it will bring the premium down.

I have all of my insurance with PURE (house, umbrella etc), and they've royally hosed me on my premium for the Model S. I'm hopeful it's just ignorance on their part. They provide such good service I don't mind paying a bit more, but I'm probably paying double what I should. Hopefully as more PURE policy holders take delivery they will take a closer look. I also am hoping that when the five-star safety ratings are official it will bring the premium down.
You could always shop around and present them w/ your competitive quote and see if they'll match it. That's my plan if Allstate tries to hose me. I've had good service from them but they'll need to be competitive.

You could always shop around and present them w/ your competitive quote and see if they'll match it. That's my plan if Allstate tries to hose me. I've had good service from them but they'll need to be competitive.

That's not how they operate -- I used the Progressive online calculator just to show them how out of whack their price was, but they really don't care. It's a great insurance company, and when I've needed to use them for issues related to my home they've been phenomenal to deal with (I never had to invoke insurance for my car), but they can be arrogant in terms of not following the crowd. I'm hopeful that as other Model S owners who have policies with them get the car they'll hear more noise and do a deeper dive on the car and reconsider their premium.