Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S intermittently loses 4G/LTE/network connectivity while powered off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have problems with the car intermittently losing 4G/LTE/mobile network connectivity while powered off / parked and locked?

During this you cannot connect with the app, which is highly annoying.

When entering the car the signal indicator for the network connectivity is depicted with a diagonal line over it.

When starting driving there's still no network for about 2 minutes, but it seems rock stable when online again.

It has occasionally been slow to connect for a long time, but it really got bad some time after entering 2021.

The SC has claimed it's a software issue for several months, but no fix so far. And they claim that it is not fixable with HW-change, which is obviously false, since it is not a problem for everyone.

It's an early 2019 100D at 2021.4.18.2, and I pay for premium connectivity.

I have searched a bit in the posts, but haven't found any good matches.
Yes, exactly same problem.

I believe the cellular data is disconnected when the car falls asleep. When you start the mobile app, the Tesla servers wake the car up with an SMS so the cellular connection is alive, but I don't think "data" is available.
I've heard of many people having problems waking their car up when they were connected to their home WIFI but the signal where the car was parked was very low. In that case, it's possible that the car favors wifi but cannot communicate to the Tesla servers properly. You could try removing your wifi connection from the car and try again. I know this has helped a lot of people on the local facebook groups I follow.
Maybe, but this is a different behaviour than before, on MCU1.

Same issue here in OZ. After upgrading to MCU2, it loses connectivity for several minutes. When connected it's great. Definitely not a signal strength issue. Many MCU upgraders in Australian are suffering the same issues. I reported it to Tesla Service who advised it's a software issue and they are 'working on a fix' - hopefully this is true.

I have exactly this issue with both of our cars. Only started after each was upgraded to MCU 2. Very frustrating. And worse, I can no longer rely on unlocking the car with my phone or watch. Got caught out after a surf recently. Came back to the car and couldn’t get in.

As mentioned above, I also had very recently my MCU1 replaced by MCU2 and the service degradation was night and day.

Having lived with MCU1 for 6 years, you can throw stone at it for being slow and whatnot, but for sure, connectivity was always (*) ok, within a second or two max. Whether with the app or when driving away, streaming immediate, nav available, all online service immediately available.
Using the phone as a key, although not ideal as with M3 or MY, was reliable.

Now, exactly as described above: app says car is sleeping, waking it up, ... and it can take ages to some times connect, but more often not connect.
When driving away, most of the time it will take about 2 minutes to find LTE or 3G signal. This means no music, no nav, no voice,...

Even my wife noticed and is wondering why I made this MCU2 upgrade.

I raised this immediately to the SeC and the answer is that it is a known firmware issue and a future OTA will fix this.

Reading the OT's and other testimonies above, I understand it is actually not linked to the upgrade, but a longer standing issue.:rolleyes:
Of course, for newer owner that only known this situation, it's not nice, but I guess a significant group does not even complain.
For me, having lived with the way it is supposed to work, the difference is huge and I sure hope they fix it soon. Because that aspect is really a downgrade.

Seems similar to the dark backup camera at night: MCU1 was very clear even at night, and owner who upgrade were complaining... while it seems it had always been dark for MCU2 owners.

Well that one (dark back camera at night) was eventually (kinda) solved, so there is hope for this one.

(*) of course, not in poorly wifi or 3G/LTE areas

Reactions: tefla
Come to think of it, I would not be surprised that it boils down to the disappearing of two settings linked to Power Management, between MCU1 and MCU2:

1627049524131.png

"Energy Saving" controlled whether the car would sleep "always" or only at night.
"Always connected" is quite obvious

I left always both ON & checked. (*)

It feels now with MCU2, they are set to OFF and unchecked.

(*) this did increase the vampire drain, but was so convenient to have always the car connected and readily fully functional.

Reactions: dcmusik22 and Vegas
I raised this immediately to the SeC and the answer is that it is a known firmware issue and a future OTA will fix this.
Thanks for confirming that it's not just me.

Of course, for newer owner that only known this situation, it's not nice, but I guess a significant group does not even complain
Yes, and that right there is the problem.
Everyone should complain at every issue asap, or else Tesla will not prioritize a fix.
Seems similar to the dark backup camera at night: MCU1 was very clear even at night, and owner who upgrade were complaining... while it seems it had always been dark for MCU2 owners.

Well that one (dark back camera at night) was eventually (kinda) solved, so there is hope for this one.
I have this problem too.
I see close to nothing in the backup camera without pressing the brake pedal to engage the brake lights.
I thought it was as a result of a poor reversing light here in Europe due to only one lamp (fog lamp is mandatory) , but maybe it is something else? I did report that to Tesla too, but they found no fault, so what can you do?

Surprisingly, Tesla haven't made the screen backlight increase when reversing. That would probably improve vision.

Small update.
Ranger came by today for my Text sending issue. I learned two things
1) He could replicate the issue with his phone in his car. Ergo, this is not just my car. He did not find anything similar in their KB, hence he created a new case. So this is now the waiting game for the next update with "minor fixes"
2) As he was trying voice, he did not have coverage. He immediately told me that it's like that for any MCU2, whether "original builtin" as for all S/X since April 2018, or for upgrade like mine and his. I'm quite surprised here. People just accept this? It would mean 3 years and not enough complain, so this is not being fixed? Feels like this one will never be fixed, and it's crazy.

So to whomever has this, please complain to your SeC. The more attention it get, the more traction it will have.

Reactions: tefla
Anyone have problems with the car intermittently losing 4G/LTE/mobile network connectivity while powered off / parked and locked?

During this you cannot connect with the app, which is highly annoying.

When entering the car the signal indicator for the network connectivity is depicted with a diagonal line over it.

When starting driving there's still no network for about 2 minutes, but it seems rock stable when online again.

It has occasionally been slow to connect for a long time, but it really got bad some time after entering 2021.

The SC has claimed it's a software issue for several months, but no fix so far. And they claim that it is not fixable with HW-change, which is obviously false, since it is not a problem for everyone.

It's an early 2019 100D at 2021.4.18.2, and I pay for premium connectivity.

I have searched a bit in the posts, but haven't found any good matches.
I have this exact issue snd it’s driving me mad. I once forgot my keys and relied on the app which doesn’t connect while lte is disabled. Need a fix ASAP.

I am in the UAE with a 2017 model s and got the infotainment upgrade a couple of months back.

Every week or so I lose my cellular connectivity. The first time I lost it for over a week. I took it to the SC and they kept the car for 2.5 days. They said they upgraded some HW and then had to install a specific firmware to make it work. Since then it happens once a week. Sometime it takes hours to come back. Happened again today. Highly annoying. I am on 2021.24.3

Having the same issue after changing to MCU2. What works for me is sending a destination to the car. For some reason this seems to activate the 4G module.

Interesting. I had not had this problem, but I almost always send my destination to the car in advance from Google maps. And sure enough, don’t do this, I now occasionally have the same issue.

Guys we need to resolve this issue. It’s now unbearable. Anytime I exit the car, within minutes the car goes to sleep. When I return to the car, it’s disabled and showing as if there is no connection.

car doesn’t function properly

Have you tried deleting any WiFi connections and turned WiFi off? Only one connection is supported. When it is parked, it will switch to WiFi. As I said, My LTE sometimes works in the garage without WiFi, and most times does not, showing no LTE connection. Sometimes it is minutes after I start driving before I get an LTE connection, and I am in a supposedly strong connection area for my Tesla service provider (AT&T in USA). Perhaps this is a service provider issue or a coverage issue that you are having. I have this issue. Others have reported this exact same behavior in this thread. Either your LTE card in the car is bad, or you have a service issue with the cell provider. If you get the right person on the phone from the cell company, they can tell you if you have a connection to a tower. With a grey LTE signal strength icon and a diagonal bar across it -- you are not connected to the cell tower, and LTE is working in your car. You have no cell service to connect to, I think.

I wonder does this have anything to do with the sim extension cable. I think when I upgraded to mcu2, the SIM card was still leafy in the extension cable and not inserted directly into the modem. I’m clutching at strings hoping for a fix.

So I had a service appointment to fix this issue.
They said they reflashed the telit modem.
Didn't fix the problem, unfortunately.
As a speculation from me: I think they know how to fix this with hardware... they just won't... probably due to cost... when thousands or millions of units needs to be fixed.

So I had a service appointment to fix this issue.
They said they reflashed the telit modem.
Didn't fix the problem, unfortunately.
As a speculation from me: I think they know how to fix this with hardware... they just won't... probably due to cost... when thousands or millions of units needs to be fixed.
I think it’s the other way around: It needs to be fixed in software but they don’t see this as a priority. Apparently the modem is being reset on multiple occasions by Tesla, probably to circumvent another bug (ie a memory leak) so fixing the underlying bug would allow Tesla to stop reserting the modem and would give us a better connection.

As to why Tesla still doesn’t force a rejoin of another network when crossing a border… I live very close to the border and sometimes it takes up to 15 minutes to join the “right” network.