Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S is a $60k car now...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

zambono

Mar 1, 2016
DC
If a model 3 can be had at mid $30's, well equipped at high $40's, then the current model S is really a $60k vehicle. The model 3 has newer tech in the battery department and motors which bring it very close to model S in specs. I am not talking the performance models because, those who value that extra second off have other priorities. I am not surprised by the much lower deliveries, and it's only going to get worse. If they want to keep selling $80k to $100k model S's than Tesla really needs to provide some value add. Just because it's larger, has a power lift gate, and some more leather (is it even leather anymore) isn't going to make up the $40k difference. I like my S, and its price was 6 figures which was expensive but at the time it was the best electric car available. Now there are more options, and the price difference is really noticeable. Model S should already have a minimum distance of 400 miles, be able to use supercharger 3 at its max, and better interior soundproofing.

Completely agree, I love my model S, but if it got totaled today I'd replace it with a long range model 3 for certain.
The model S needs a clear gap in both range and features. The Mercedes S class is a great comparison, it always has the newest features and justifies the price jump.

I feel the model S is missing some features that are already available on much cheaper cars, such as parking surround view cameras, and apple carplay / android auto.

Add some new tech (and catch up on some missing tech), give it a 400+ mile range that can take advantage of supercharger v3, and it would be enough to change my mind.

Reactions: Vitaman
It's kind of a strange inefficiency in the car market. On the one hand, I see the OP's point when comparing the MS with the 3. The MS also seems old-tech compared with how amazingly futuristic it seemed a few years ago.

But on the other hand, I think my four year old P85D still wins against the 98% of the market that's ICE cars, including the current Mercedes S. And I am familiar with the comparison because in the years prior to the P85D I drove a 740iL, S500 Designo and A8LW12 in that order. My wife also has a year-old Range Rover Autobiography, so I'm familiar with the latest ICE tech of overhead camera views, etc. Yet the P85D driving dynamics along with the convenience of not going to gas stations (I charge at home) beats all of these. So on that basis, compared with 98% of the car market, the MS is worth its original price - and I intend to keep driving what is a great car unless there is a major refresh.

Nevertheless, I think last night's news was negative for the current MS. Having sales down that far implies either 1) they are going to have a major upgrade soon (so you don't want to buy the current car) or 2) they are going to sunset the MS as they did the original roadster, making the MS an orphan model (so you don't want to buy the current car). Thus I think the sales decline is self-perpetuating until they significantly refresh it.

I just upgraded my card from a P85D to a P100DL.

I think the M3 is a great car, but I still like better the MS. Love the dual screen , the Smart Suspension and the overall look of the car. Is preference , but i like better the size of MS vs M3.

Reactions: Vitaman
Assuming it takes at least three years to design and then go into production for a new car, the model S design/technology ( excluding updates) is 10 years old. Having said that, I love my 2017 MS 75RWD. There’s no way Tesla is going to Sunset their luxury sedan. And, if what I’m driving is really almost 10 years old, I can only imagine being blown away by the new MS, or whatever equivalent, will be released. I hope for Tesla’s sake that will be within the next year

The problem I’m facing is waiting for a new refresh. I was rear ended last week at highway speeds. Other car totaled. No one hurt. Mine looked bad but not too bad. Bumper, hatch, side panels.

Well they just told me today they are going to total it. Initial estimate for repair was $35,000. So question is how long do I wait to get a new S? When I bought my 2016 refresh in July 2016, they ended up adding ventilated seats a month later, and then AP 2.0 came out shortly thereafter. It would not be pleasant buying in the next week or so and then another month later having the same thing happen.

If anyone has any insight into a refresh timing, I’m all ears. I’ve looked at the PM3 and just think it is a little too small for me.

I love my Model 3 that I drive. Love so much about it. Hadn’t been in my husband’s S for a number of weeks until this past week and I commented to him that as much as I love my car and not taking anything away from it, god it felt Great to be in his Model S again. It just did. I love it too. It’s a different feeling sitting it it but I felt wowed all over again. I’m really glad he has it and didn’t want to trade it for a Model 3 too. He has a 75D and yes it would be nice to have more range and some other features that my car has now but I still wouldn’t trade it in. Seeing this thread today I just had to add my recent experience and conversation with him.

The problem I’m facing is waiting for a new refresh. I was rear ended last week at highway speeds. Other car totaled. No one hurt. Mine looked bad but not too bad. Bumper, hatch, side panels.

Well they just told me today they are going to total it. Initial estimate for repair was $35,000. So question is how long do I wait to get a new S? When I bought my 2016 refresh in July 2016, they ended up adding ventilated seats a month later, and then AP 2.0 came out shortly thereafter. It would not be pleasant buying in the next week or so and then another month later having the same thing happen.

If anyone has any insight into a refresh timing, I’m all ears. I’ve looked at the PM3 and just think it is a little too small for me.
I think asking that is like asking which numbers to choose for the upcoming powerball. Impossible to say, a case can be made that tesla is too busy with the model 3 and the upcoming model Y to focus on the S/X

On the other hand who knows if there’s a different team that’s working on the refresh that’ll be out shortly.

Just about every car I've bought has a sunroof including my S. I can count on one hand the times I have used them in the last 5 years.

Agreed. Back when I was placing my order for my S almost about 2 years ago, I debated getting a sunroof (back when you still could!). But like you, my previous cars (mostly BMWs) that had sunroofs or moonroof...I could also count on one hand how many times I used them. So decided to "break the cycle" and not get a sunroof in my Model S. 2 years later, I haven't regretted that decision even 1%. Love the glass roof.

"The internal combustion engine, the transmission, the knobs, the leather, the sunroof…let the past die. Kill it, if you have to. That’s the only way for the EV to become what it is meant to be." - Kylo Musk

Reactions: djlott and Alset4S