Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S listening to music without me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mainly listen to MP3s off a USB drive. I usually pause the music manually by pressing the left steering wheel scroll button. Sometimes when I return to my car I see that the music player is several songs further along in an album than it was when I left. Is my car listening without me?

I'm guessing the music is restarting on its own because I walk by my car and unlock it inadvertently. But still I don't see why the music would start if I don't even open the door. I do notice that the music resumes on its own about 1/2 of the times I get in the car, even though I paused it before exiting. That is annoying, but has been reported elsewhere in the forums. I'm not sure if that is related to the music player skipping several songs ahead without me listening.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Not only are the MP3s playing overnight in the garage - but I've recently had the MP3 skipping or restarting by themselves while playing an MP3 - and the Media Select is periodically refusing to change the media source - either refusing to play over Bluetooth with my smartphone or to select one of the USB ports to play an MP3.

Tesla should open their beta test program - and let more customers participate in the testing. If they continue to release buggy software, I'd rather get it earlier - while they are actively trying to fix the bugs, instead of getting the buggy releases a month (or usually longer) after it's been released - and then hoping they'll fix the bug in the next software release.

I mainly listen to MP3s off a USB drive. I usually pause the music manually by pressing the left steering wheel scroll button. Sometimes when I return to my car I see that the music player is several songs further along in an album than it was when I left. Is my car listening without me?

I'm guessing the music is restarting on its own because I walk by my car and unlock it inadvertently. But still I don't see why the music would start if I don't even open the door. I do notice that the music resumes on its own about 1/2 of the times I get in the car, even though I paused it before exiting. That is annoying, but has been reported elsewhere in the forums. I'm not sure if that is related to the music player skipping several songs ahead without me listening.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Yeah, once my USB drive was hot in the morning from "listening" all night... go figure.

...Tesla should open their beta test program - and let more customers participate in the testing. If they continue to release buggy software, I'd rather get it earlier - while they are actively trying to fix the bugs, instead of getting the buggy releases a month (or usually longer) after it's been released - and then hoping they'll fix the bug in the next software release.

I'm not sure I follow. I expect the beta group found the bug since all you have to do is use the car normally to encounter it. Tesla is (and I believe was before the release) well aware of the problem. There have been several incremental releases since it started yet it hasn't been fixed. Clearly it's viewed as a nuisance and other items have been prioritized. Having a broader beta test group would not have changed anything in this instance. Here's hoping that it will be addressed in 7.0.

This drives me nuts too since I listen to a lot of podcasts on USB. I always have to note the program and time when I leave the car because when I get back in the car later it has usually listened to a bunch more without me.

This never was a problem in the past. Please Tesla go back to how it was before!

This is still a problem with 7.0.

Just read the new V7 Owners Manual - and have found the cause of the auto playing problem overnight.

There is an energy saving setting that can be ON or OFF - which is supposed to control sleep mode.

In V6, originally OFF was supposed to mean sleep mode was completely disabled. In the past, this has fixed a lot of problems, because Tesla continues to have problems getting the car to properly resume from sleep mode. In previous releases when coming out of sleep mode, the media playback software has had problems - such as losing track of which songs were being played.

Now, we're getting the music playback to start - without anyone in the car - when sleep mode resumes.

In the V7 documentation - OFF is now defined as having sleep mode restricted to 10PM to 5AM - and off during the rest of the day. That means there isn't any way to completely disable sleep mode - so the auto-play problem is likely happening between 10PM to 5AM, overnight - and there's nothing we can do to fix it, other than manually selecting another media source - such as Bluetooth (which gets reset every time the car is parked).

Tesla - why can't OFF mean OFF? If they really want to have a mode that allows sleep mode overnight - then add a third setting - so we'd have "ALWAYS", "OVERNIGHT" and "OFF".