Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S LR advertised range vs app range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this is answered elsewhere (I did look)... as everyone knows, the Model S LR is rated for 405 miles, but when I slide the charging % slider on the app on my brand new S LR to 100% (I would not charge to 100% but was just playing with the app), its says the car will only go 397 miles. I know that's not a big difference but why the discrepancy? What does the app use to calculate this?

Thanks

The battery management system’s reported range is just an estimate and can drift over time.

Minor differences in cell capacity as a result of manufacturing.

Actually charging it to 100% might improve the displayed estimate. Might not. There’s no reason to be afraid of charging your battery to 100%.

Enjoy the new car!

The battery management system’s reported range is just an estimate and can drift over time.

Minor differences in cell capacity as a result of manufacturing.

Actually charging it to 100% might improve the displayed estimate. Might not. There’s no reason to be afraid of charging your battery to 100%.

Enjoy the new car!
Thanks for that info. It's a brand new car and haven't charged it once yet (but plan on doing so tonight). While I know not to charge it to 100% maybe that makes sense for a first charge?

Thanks for that info. It's a brand new car and haven't charged it once yet (but plan on doing so tonight). While I know not to charge it to 100% maybe that makes sense for a first charge?

I suppose you could do it once. The charge will take longer, and you should drive it within 20 minutes after the charge completes. After, charge up to 90% normally. I do my best to only charge to 90% maximum for normal use.

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere (I did look)... as everyone knows, the Model S LR is rated for 405 miles, but when I slide the charging % slider on the app on my brand new S LR to 100% (I would not charge to 100% but was just playing with the app), its says the car will only go 397 miles. I know that's not a big difference but why the discrepancy? What does the app use to calculate this?

Thanks
That was a great question, as a Tesla newbie was going to ask the same thing. Yesterday when I slid it the whole way it was 397 and then today it was 401. So, was just curious, as you were. There sure is a lot to learn with this car. We really need a Tesla for Newbies sticky. Maybe there is one and I have not found it. :)

That was a great question, as a Tesla newbie was going to ask the same thing. Yesterday when I slid it the whole way it was 397 and then today it was 401. So, was just curious, as you were. There sure is a lot to learn with this car. We really need a Tesla for Newbies sticky. Maybe there is one and I have not found it. :)
Same thing happened to me…. First charge was last night, today is goes up to 403 on the slider. Nice seeing the # start with a 4 :). Also I think i got the heated steering wheel last night .

Reactions: DBV1 and ucmndd