Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S manually tilted screen - fixed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla would be smart to add this mod to their list of upgrades . . . it's what the car was supposed to have from Day 1! I'd likely pay for it if it was under $300, but will await the YT videos and perhaps just do it myself (and ask Tesla to update the software on my next service visit).

Picked up the unit today. It is a completely different motor/gearbox configuration than came with my car however I believe the hard points (mounting points) will be identical so I expect it to be plug and play. For $ 115 bucks (and that's Canadian ! so $ 90 US) I cannot resist. I am not such a purist that I need it to work from the OEM touch buttons as I think that solution is not out in the public domain so my plan is the two rocker switches. I will photo/document the project as I did when I originally used a drill to drive the shafts to extend my screen over a year ago. I think with the parts now being available and cheap that the manual/electric solution is doable and viable. More to follow. I am on it !
Be careful, if going manual with switches. When I had mine apart, it was clear that both motors need to operate concurrently when changing positions (to keep the guide pin within the “V” track. Otherwise, it will bind in that track, or worse, crack the screen when the inside edge jams into the dash. I only see a UI solution as viable, without potential problems.

Tesla would be smart to add this mod to their list of upgrades . . . it's what the car was supposed to have from Day 1! I'd likely pay for it if it was under $300, but will await the YT videos and perhaps just do it myself (and ask Tesla to update the software on my next service visit).
Tesla won’t update the software. Others have posted this in the past (a year back). Maybe things have changed? Doubt it.

This is the new mount. Interesting and valuable comment on both motors needing to be moving. When I did my manual adjustment a year ago I only ran one motor out. Hmmmm I am wondering if the new mount requires that but the old mount did not. The YouTube videos floating around show it working with rockers but that was the old mount. If there is a difference in mount geometry and the old mount would work, I will swap the motors over if possible. Going to do the project probably next weekend which will involve mounting the mechanism to a wooden base with switches and seeing how it articulates. I will document and post updates.

Attachments

• IMG_1582.jpeg
    IMG_1582.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1585.jpeg
    IMG_1585.jpeg
    339.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1583.jpeg
    IMG_1583.jpeg
    263.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1584.jpeg
    IMG_1584.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Love
Reactions: WilliamG and jebinc
This is the new mount. Interesting and valuable comment on both motors needing to be moving. When I did my manual adjustment a year ago I only ran one motor out. Hmmmm I am wondering if the new mount requires that but the old mount did not. The YouTube videos floating around show it working with rockers but that was the old mount. If there is a difference in mount geometry and the old mount would work, I will swap the motors over if possible. Going to do the project probably next weekend which will involve mounting the mechanism to a wooden base with switches and seeing how it articulates. I will document and post updates.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Thanks. My comments were related to my old manual mount. When setting it manually, I had to adjust both sides to get everything to line up, including the mounting bolts. Just be careful.

Thanks. My comments were related to my old manual mount. When setting it manually, I had to adjust both sides to get everything to line up, including the mounting bolts. Just be careful.
Interesting as I just ran out one side on the mount on the old one and my mounting holes lined up however as I think about it, it makes sense that one side is the screen would have to pop out just a bit before screwing out the other side. Warning appreciated and I will mock it up as if it is in the dash and will look for obstructions.

Interesting as I just ran out one side on the mount on the old one and my mounting holes lined up however as I think about it, it makes sense that one side is the screen would have to pop out just a bit before screwing out the other side. Warning appreciated and I will mock it up as if it is in the dash and will look for obstructions.
IMG_7372.jpeg

IMG_7373.jpeg

My original mount, for reference.

The V slot is definitely different and the new mount slot looks like it has more of an arc to it than the original mount.

It was definitely 'value engineered' in V2.0 and probably over engineered and why they did not release it.

Attachments

• Mount Comparisons.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
  • Informative
I did another search on the web and some time ago I had read about someone who enabled the code in the car OS. A value need to be changed to enable the screen. I could not find it again. I have a good relationship with the SC manager and am going to have him look into it next week for me to see if they can do it. That’s Plan A !

• Love
The V slot is definitely different and the new mount slot looks like it has more of an arc to it than the original mount.

It was definitely 'value engineered' in V2.0 and probably over engineered and why they did not release it.
Yes. I had to fuss with both sides a lot, just to get the mounting bolts to slide thru the bracket and mount, while ensuring the inner screen edge was properly “tucked” into the dash. I was always able to get one, but not the other. Getting both, just right, took me an hour of playing around. I inserted one of the Mounting bolts into the V to ensure both sides kept the bolt in the V slot. And yes, the perfect position was where the bolt touched the outer side of the V on the right side, so it makes complete sense that Tesla arced it more!

Interestingly, the final position was about 3/4 of the way down the right V arm. This achieved the same dimensions (3” out from dash) that the automatic one tilts. Meaning, I could have manually brought the right side of the display out more than the automated approach. I figured 4” easy. Wonder why Tesla didn’t allow the automation to go farther, like to the top of the V arm, to achieve more of a tilt towards the driver?

It was an interesting endeavor.

I did another search on the web and some time ago I had read about someone who enabled the code in the car OS. A value need to be changed to enable the screen. I could not find it again. I have a good relationship with the SC manager and am going to have him look into it next week for me to see if they can do it. That’s Plan A !

I used to have a similar relationship, but that SC manager left for personal reasons. If they agree to do it for you, we will need to know exactly what the process is - so we can effectively ask for the same. Things like, what is actually done, and what tools are used. Lastly, you will want to make sure you don’t lose this “toggle” the first time you accept an updated firmware. The toggle needs to somehow be tied to the car and not the software, so, when you get updates for that VIN, the toggle remains.

This is the coding change that needs to be done. One guy on the forum told me he knew someone that would do it for $ 500. I think at some point that ability will become more widespread
Okay, so I sent a message via the app to schedule a mobile ranger, w/laptop service visit - to flip the UI toggle, per the information you provided above. It will be interesting to see how they respond to that request tomorrow!