Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X OEM Swiveling Screen Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: Changed the thread title to reflect the new Model S/X screen feature is actually for swiveling, not tilting.

Now that it's confirmed that the tilted screens for S/X are real, and we have deliveries happening, I thought it might be useful to collect data in one place.

Hopefully together we can answer some questions:

1. What's the earliest X VIN delivery that we've been able to confirm has the motorized tilting functionality enabled?

2. What software version are they on?

3. Are there cars in the fleet that are already delivered that have this motor but are NOT enabled yet? If so, what's the earliest VIN for these cars?

4. Any sign that Tesla will offer a retrofit program (anecdote from a SA or something)?

As far as I can tell, for #1 the earliest X VINs that I've seen confirmation on have all been 34xxxx and above. But if anyone has seen anyone report a lower VIN, please let us know and I'll update the answers here in the top comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that it's confirmed that the tilted screens for S/X are real, and we have deliveries happening, I thought it might be useful to collect data in one place.

Hopefully together we can answer some questions:

1. What's the earliest X VIN delivery that we've been able to confirm has the motorized tilting functionality enabled?

2. What software version are they on?

3. Are there cars in the fleet that are already delivered that have this motor but are NOT enabled yet? If so, what's the earliest VIN for these cars?

4. Any sign that Tesla will offer a retrofit program (anecdote from a SA or something)?

As far as I can tell, for #1 the earliest X VINs that I've seen confirmation on have all been 34xxxx and above. But if anyone has seen anyone report a lower VIN, please let us know and I'll update the answers here in the top comment.
Thanks for starting this thread! I just wanted to add for anyone who feels comfortable, we would really appreciate if you could include a few more digits of the VIN passed the first two. For ex, my assigned VIN is 3410xx, but I still have yet to take delivery and can’t comment on the tilt screen just yet.

As I posted in the main thread, a local delivery advisor let me know that the swivel feature was added to cars produced after April 22. Although he can’t see my vehicles build date for some reason, he did seem fairly confident in telling me that my VIN 3410xx would not have the swivel feature.

As I posted in the main thread, a local delivery advisor let me know that the swivel feature was added to cars produced after April 22. Although he can’t see my vehicles build date for some reason, he did seem fairly confident in telling me that my VIN 3410xx would not have the swivel feature.
OK thanks, please keep us posted. What's your EDD?

So the April 15th hold was not for the swivel screen reterofit as some had suggested unless they lied about mine being the first first vehicle to be released from that hold.

Here in the Munro Live video:

You can see the swivel casting. It has the upside down V track that a screw with a urethane bushing would fit into to force it along a specific track.

I pulled the closeout panel right below the screen out (super easy just pulls out by hand) and took a picture. As you can see, I have the same casting without the motors but I don't have the V track as seen in the Munroe video. Did they dispense with the track and just use the two motors to control each side in or out? They could have changed the design like this to make it simpler. It's also possible that the track is not all the way through and that it rides a bushing on the other side that can't be seen. I think I'll stick my worm camera up there and take a look.

Hopefully someone else who has the swivel can pull out the panel and take a photo to see if they also don't have the same through V channel that is shown in the Munroe video.

Half tempted just to remove the two screws, pull the entire panel out, and adjust the passenger side worm gear out so that it's permanently facing me.
20220505_165730.jpg

^^ you guys are great. At this point I think I am enjoying watching the mystery unfold more than I would ever have enjoyed the actual swivel (but remain engaged here because I took delivery 1 week ago and I do not have the swivel button on the screen). I was probably the last car made not to have it. Imagine that lol.

Reactions: Great White
Update: after speaking to a different sales advisor, I was told the build date for my vehicle is 4/26 and it should have the swivel. My EDD right now is 5/11-17 but the vehicle is still stuck in the Bay Area and they have no idea when it’ll be shipped to my local delivery center.
My local, Rocklin advisor told me my Model S is stuck in the storage lot in Lathrop due to a lack of delivery trucks. My date slipped from May 5 to May 9

Reactions: StrayTexel
So with Tesla having restored the "Tilt" call-out on their website (it was there for initial orders too), I have to wonder what this means for older and especially undelivered cars that don't have the motors installed. Given the driver shortage problem, there is a growing number of folks with late March, early April builds that are stuck in Fremont or other waypoint stations.

I get why they wouldn't do retrofits on everything, but this is increasingly becoming a special case where I'd argue that they absolutely should.

Reactions: dmtheone