TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Manufacturing

Discussion in 'Model S' started by vfx, Oct 18, 2011.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#1 vfx, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2011
    Tesla Wows With Model S Rides, Factory Tour - AutoObserver

The 100 cars bought on the hood of the car story is there as well.

2. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Yes, this Edmunds article - linked to, in the latest Tesla newsletter - does have some juicy specifics about the manufacturing timeline. A couple more extracts:

That's quite early for RCs (which would presumably come to the stores quickly for test drives).

3. gg_got_a_tesla

Oh, there might have been a 4th Beta 1 after all as some were speculating, given that a red car with and (probably another) without the rear jump seats were spotted during the same event:

So, white, black and 2 reds?!

4. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Wow, I agree! That's at least a month earlier than I was expecting. If that happens, woo hoo! :smile: Happy camper!

5. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Good news for GP numbers > 4,000; you may not have to wait 'til 2013 after all!

6. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Presumably that's so they can get the production equivalent car into official crash tests? I'm not sure I'd read that as making it more likely they'd be completely done early (console software, interior, painting robots fully set up, etc).

7. strider

strider Active Member

Yep. The cars they send for crash testing have to be built using production processes so they need to get them built in Fremont ASAP to get them into crash testing to give them time to make any modifications as a result.

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Another explanation - maybe they moved the jump seats from the red car to the white car during the event? :wink:

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I think I read somewhere that the jump seats are removable. If true, then that would explain things nicely.

10. gg_got_a_tesla

I thought there was some bolting involved and it wasn't a quick swap out?! The 4th car (red sig) might just be Elon's personal ride as I was saying before :smile: Anyway, sorry for taking this thread OT...