Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S not reading 128GB micro SD card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
its possible we may see 32TB 2.5" drives before the retirement of the car however)
I'm not sure you could listen to 32TB worth of music before "retirement of the car" :biggrin:
even if you stored music as "CD quality" .wav files that's around 6 years of listening 24/7. Double that if you're using FLAC

It would negate the need for the Slacker radio "search for any song and stream it" feature though... There'd be a reasonable chance you have it on your 2.5" drive - and if not, it'll be on the one in the USB socket next to it :tongue:

Last edited:
OK Success
reformat 128gb micro sdxc card to FAt32 ( I used miniaide fat32 formatter home edition 1.05)
I switched to this micro SDXC adapter
since this one said it was meant to work with SDXC cards.

128gbs of music in the size of a finger nail is awesome:biggrin:

.....its perks are irrelevant to reading static files...
There is one perk though that I find very useful for me. I keep all of my music on an external drive on my Linux server and it serves that music up to devices around the house. For Tesla, I simply make a copy of all the music from this external drive and keep the two in sync using rsync. When I was using FAT32, rsync very often would sync up a large number of files that were already on USB drive and caused rsync to take a long time. I think it had to do with FAT32 keeping a very limited set of file attributes which confused rsync into thinking file had changed on my server. No such issues with ext3. Rsync is always quick and only syncs the new files on my server.

guess im behind the times, Western digital nearly hit what i thought was not possible today.

they have 20TB 2.5" disks using HAMR Tech (haha no, not a defense contractor)

lame-60TB.jpg

OK following in pdljmpr's foot steps I have upgraded to 128gb micro SD. I used this set up:

USB adapter: Amazon.com: elago Mobile Nano II USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader -Works up to 32GB- (Black): Electronics
128gb micro SD card: Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 128GB MicroSDXC Class 10 Memory Card Speed Up To 30MB/s With Adapter - SDSDQUA-128G-G46A: Computers Accessories

I bought the USB adapter last March and used it with a 64gb micro SD card, and reused it with the current 128gb card. Elago has newer adapters in case you want to try one of those. I formatted the 128gb micro SD to FAT32. I used a 3rd party formatter that is easily accessed on the web as my PC windows OS formatter didn't offer FAT32 as an options, here's the link

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Now busy enjoying my expanded in Tesla FLAC audio collection. Happy listening to all ;)

I think that is a much cheaper option, and honestly what I did originally. I think what you get for the higher price of the microSD/ elago solution is a much cleaner look where the USB stick doesn't protrude from the center stack. If you ignore looks/space required and wanted lots of storage I think it make sense to spend a little more and have the near limitless storage options of USB hard drives.

is it not easier just to get a USB 128GB flash drive? the MicroSDXC costs $120, where as a USB flash drive is more than half off and its faster as its USB3.0 (as opposed to 2.0)

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Flash Memory Readers, USB Flash Drives, 128GB

the PNY drive can write at over 100MB/s which would make coping GBs of data much faster.

Any idea why the ADATA, TCELL, and PNY thumbdrives all report USB3.0 but list different speeds (The other brands don't even declare speeds...)?
Also, are the USB ports in the Model S USB3.0? What is the maximum speed that the Model S can read from the built-in usb ports? Is there any benefit or need to pay more for the PNY when the hp & ADATA models are cheaper at the same speed or slightly slower but still usb3.0?

Any idea why the ADATA, TCELL, and PNY thumbdrives all report USB3.0 but list different speeds (The other brands don't even declare speeds...)?
Also, are the USB ports in the Model S USB3.0? What is the maximum speed that the Model S can read from the built-in usb ports? Is there any benefit or need to pay more for the PNY when the hp & ADATA models are cheaper at the same speed or slightly slower but still usb3.0?

I believe the ports in The S are USB 2.0. Any speed advantage would be on your computer side of thngs when copying music over to the drive....

one usb drive is not the same as another, on the flash drive there is both the controller and flash memory, both of these parts all behave differently between brands so that results in different speeds between each model.

ive seen some usb 3 drives with a max speed of 60MB/s while others are 350MB/s, so never assume that they all go "5Gb/s"

if they dont declare speed, i wouldnt even bother with them regardless of the price, Kingston and Scamdisk (sandisk) are known for putting ultra cheap flash parts in and it results in a God awful slow drive.

the thing is, for music, it almost doesn't even matter, ALL flash drives even usb 2 drives are more than fast enough to play music. but if you copy music often, its just easier if you have a faster drive so you dont have to wait.
also some drives offer longer warranty, OCZ had a life time warranty on the original 1GB metal drives and i had to use that warranty once because i shocked the drive to bad it restarted my computer, and even eventually that board failed. (the static discharge was so intense i could see it, heard it, and was painful)