Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid: Paint chipping on Rear quarter panel and doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love this car. I don't drive it on dirt roads and only hand wash. My rear quarter panels are getting chipped. Looks like the New flare out is catching the road debris. Anyone else seeing this on their car? only 800 miles
rear quater close up.JPG
his?

@webshot What are those flaps? Where did you get them?

And a lot of imagination. I turned these sideways to use the two lower stock fasteners. Drilled one whole up top in the wheel liner for stability.

I also ordered and used these...

Upvote 0

And a lot of imagination. I turned these sideways to use the two lower stock fasteners. Drilled one whole up top in the wheel liner for stability.

Ordered!

Upvote 0
I should start a thread, but on my '21 Model 3P, I had to have Tesla repaint a large portion of the car. It came down to me leaving it on the lot for over a month, and escalating to a regional manager while every level told me to pound sand. New customers noticed my car with a large portion of the rocker paint missing and Tesla potentially lost sales over it. That's when they agreed to repaint.

Following repaint, I got the whole car wrapped in PPF and since Tesla mud flaps are out of stock, I ordered up three different kinds to try and see how I like them.

Good luck OP! Be persistent. Record conversations. Be the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

Upvote 0

Please please please write up a guide with pics for installing/how you did it? Pretty please?

Reactions: Ormond and bhzmark
Upvote 0
After further thought, I can’t bear to put mud flaps on my Plaid when it arrives. After speaking with a few local detailers here, I have another solution: when I get my full body PPF wrap done (with 10 mil in the high-impact areas like the front bumper, rocker panels, and fenders and 8 mil elsewhere), I’m having them add a double-stacked “tear off” sheet of PPF on the rear where the OEM PPF was originally placed. That way, I can just have that replaced on the full wrap whenever needed, without removing the entire section covering the fender.

Is that going to stop everything like mud flaps? Obviously no. But it’s a decent solution for me that will protect the paint while maintaining the look.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
After further thought, I can’t bear to put mud flaps on my Plaid when it arrives. After speaking with a few local detailers here, I have another solution: when I get my full body PPF wrap done (with 10 mil in the high-impact areas like the front bumper, rocker panels, and fenders and 8 mil elsewhere), I’m having them add a double-stacked “tear off” sheet of PPF on the rear where the OEM PPF was originally placed. That way, I can just have that replaced on the full wrap whenever needed, without removing the entire section covering the fender.

Is that going to stop everything like mud flaps? Obviously no. But it’s a decent solution for me that will protect the paint while maintaining the look.
My plan as well. Xpel ultimate plus 10 all around and a few sacrificial pieces of xpel armor on the rocker behind the front wheel and behind rear doors.

Upvote 0

I did try something like that and be warned that even the xpel will pick up a 'sandblasted' haze look after a while. Mine didn't seem to come back to life with heat like their commercials.

Upvote 0
I did try something like that and be warned that even the xpel will pick up a 'sandblasted' haze look after a while. Mine didn't seem to come back to life with heat like their commercials.
Are you saying that when you did this, the full wrap underneath the top peel-away layer also looked bad?

Btw, I am seeing this solution done on Porsche and BMW cars with wide fenders to remedy the same issue, so it isn't like this is a totally unique concept.

Upvote 0
Are you saying that when you did this, the full wrap underneath the top peel-away layer also looked bad?

Btw, I am seeing this solution done on Porsche and BMW cars with wide fenders to remedy the same issue, so it isn't like this is a totally unique concept.
Prior to fully wrapping the car, I did localized Xpel Ultimate Plus 10 (or whatever the thicker one is called). It was obvious everywhere without PPF was getting blasted down to primer, but the area with PPF was also slowly getting a haze from the rocks. I tried hitting it with a heat gun like they say is possible for 'self healing' but it didn't do much. I think the real solution is PPF paired with mud flaps.

Unless you're talking about putting this PPF on and replacing it from time to time. In that case, I'd also warn you that when the body shop removed this PPF to sand down and repaint my car, it pulled some chips of paint off with it. I don't think it's as removeable as advertised. Maybe it works better on other cars, but at least on my Tesla, it doesn't like to come off without removing paint as well.

Upvote 0
Prior to fully wrapping the car, I did localized Xpel Ultimate Plus 10 (or whatever the thicker one is called). It was obvious everywhere without PPF was getting blasted down to primer, but the area with PPF was also slowly getting a haze from the rocks. I tried hitting it with a heat gun like they say is possible for 'self healing' but it didn't do much. I think the real solution is PPF paired with mud flaps.

Unless you're talking about putting this PPF on and replacing it from time to time. In that case, I'd also warn you that when the body shop removed this PPF to sand down and repaint my car, it pulled some chips of paint off with it. I don't think it's as removeable as advertised. Maybe it works better on other cars, but at least on my Tesla, it doesn't like to come off without removing paint as well.
+1 on the flaps! Currently, we are left with only DIY flap solutions.

Upvote 0