Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If my alignment was off, such as the camber, wouldn’t the inner tread or sidewall show excessive wear? As you can see in the pics, there is no excessive wear. The tread simply separated from the sidewall. As you can also see by the treadwear at 15,000 miles, I don’t drive this car hard at all. I have only floored it twice. I drive it like an old lady.

I sit 45 mins from home waiting on AAA because telsa cant get to it until the morning.. same situation. 15,329 miles and even wear but full separation. This seems to be a tire failure for sure.
21” on MS plaid 2023

• Helpful
Reactions: phantasms
I sit 45 mins from home waiting on AAA because telsa cant get to it until the morning.. same situation. 15,329 miles and even wear but full separation. This seems to be a tire failure for sure.
21” on MS plaid 2023
Yes, please submit photographs AND file a warranty claim with Michelin (Discount Tire is a pretty good supplier for replacement OEM tires BTW).

KEEP your old tires for your claim as you may need them for Michelin! (Michelin's website has a link where you can file your claim.)

Also, please submit a quick report here--every one of them will help get these junk tires off the road:

When you launch you are compressing the rear and adding -2ish degrees of additional camber. If you start with over -2 then combined with the stiff short sidewalls you gat crazy tire wear. The toe also changes but I'm not sure if it is in or out during compression. Whatever direction it is you should set it to the other end of the factory spec so it's near zero during a launch or hard cornering.

Could the inner eage be rubbing on something?

When you launch you are compressing the rear and adding -2ish degrees of additional camber. If you start with over -2 then combined with the stiff short sidewalls you gat crazy tire wear. The toe also changes but I'm not sure if it is in or out during compression. Whatever direction it is you should set it to the other end of the factory spec so it's near zero during a launch or hard cornering.
For the 59th time, the SIDEWALL tears away from the tread, eventually leading to a nearly impossible to notice pending tire failure with ONLY the OEM 21” Michelin tire mounted on the Plaid MS…and NOT the 19” OEM Pirelli tire.

It is NOT a wear issue.

And, NO, the inner sidewall is NOT rubbing against anything for those that are wondering why the inner sidewall often looks like it's been in a lathe. It's likely just an artifact of the tire's internal destruction, which now two+ years later Michelin appears to STILL not care about. Mind blowing. I guess no one at Micheline knows about this fiasco?

Last edited:
Could the inner eage be rubbing on something?
No. When I switched to the 305 NF0 Pirelli rears I chalked them to check this. The Pirellis are close to 1" wider than the OEM PS4S. The PS4S is on the bottom and NF0 Pirelli on top for comparison. If these don't rub, there is absolutely no way the PS4S are.

PXL_20230720_172129871.jpg

No. When I switched to the 305 NF0 Pirelli rears I chalked them to check this. The Pirellis are close to 1" wider than the OEM PS4S. The PS4S is on the bottom and NF0 Pirelli on top for comparison. If these don't rub, there is absolutely no way the PS4S are.

View attachment 1035954

Yes, and if there was something in the wheel well in contact with the tire it would quite shiny and bright.

View attachment 1035954
That's a lot of meat! They fit on the OEM 21" rims? And don't delaminate the way the Michelins do?

That's a lot of meat! They fit on the OEM 21" rims? And don't delaminate the way the Michelins do?
Yes, they fit the oem wheels. This is how they look on one of my sets of wheels, these are OEM spec - 10.5x21 45et They fill it in to the perfect size.

I did have tire wear problems with my first set of factory tires, but then put camber arms on and had an alignment, and zero issues now for 40k miles.

PXL_20240210_215252173.jpg