Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Track Package Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought about that before. Then I remembered how crappy 3 of my 4 Teslas were put together from the factory to make their EOQ deliveries and I thought I'd take my chances with the local service center.

Other than being booked out, they have seemed to do good work so far. At least they were able to fix all the delivery defects that the factory thought were good enough to ship on to the customer. I can imagine them throwing *sugar* together on the brake kit to dump it out before the EOQ deadline. I forget what model it was, maybe an MYP or MSP where they were shipped out with missing brake pads. Imagine if that happened to your CCB equipped Plaid.
Great points.

I ordered on day 0 and tomorrow is my install appointment!
I think I'll ask them to just toss the track wheels in the back since even though there's no rain forecast for a while I want to save the fresh meet for a fall track event.

I ordered on day 0 and tomorrow is my install appointment!
I think I'll ask them to just toss the track wheels in the back since even though there's no rain forecast for a while I want to save the fresh meet for a fall track event.
Exactly what you should do. Remember the Goodyear Supercar tires are close to a race compound that you can still street if necessary, however will only be good for approximately 20 heat cycles before starting to lose their intended purpose. Anyone that plans to use these tires on the street in are for a very short lifespan.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhzmark and Sam1
Exactly what you should do. Remember the Goodyear Supercar tires are close to a race compound that you can still street if necessary, however will only be good for approximately 20 heat cycles before starting to lose their intended purpose. Anyone that plans to use these tires on the street in are for a very short lifespan.
Yeah, we're about to see a bunch of threads about how people are upset they only last 5000 miles, or they get hard capped and are slippery after a few weeks of use.

Yeah, we're about to see a bunch of threads about how people are upset they only last 5000 miles, or they get hard capped and are slippery after a few weeks of use.
I’d venture to guess with a 100 tread rating and the weight of the model S, 5000 miles would be an amazing feat to pull off. Hard and slippery after 20 heat cycles will be a big complaint to those not in the know. They are also super loud.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam1
Anyone that plans to use these tires on the street in are for a very short lifespan.

Similar for brakes but as to cold performance in addition to wear, dust and noise -- to what degree we don't know yet.

The manual has this:

1687786527921.png

The CCB brake alert only comes on for really cold temps, but it is all a matter of degree and the CCB operating temp range is shifted higher both on the hot end, and the cold end.

Also I hadn't noticed in the manual, or ever perceived while driving, these features below . I've had the brake warning light come on after very hard repeated braking. I but I thought I read that that was a calculated estimate based on brake use rather than an actual measurement as suggested below in HFC.

1687786876224.png

• Informative
Reactions: DayTrippin
I’d venture to guess with a 100 tread rating and the weight of the model S, 5000 miles would be an amazing feat to pull off. Hard and slippery after 20 heat cycles will be a big complaint to those not in the know. They are also super loud.
That was one of the reason I didn't go with the wheel/tire option. I sort of liked the wheels, but I sure as hell didn't want the tires for the street. My garage is already filled with extra tire/wheel sets for our cars and the last thing my wife wants to see is another set of tires.

For people who haven't experienced how hard and slippery tires that have been through too many heat cycles, the analogy I can give you is it almost feels like they do when you drive in too cold of weather. Maybe not that bad but they feel pretty bad.

As for temps, I almost never drive below 20F so I am on the borderline so I should be good. I'll just drive my wife's 3 when it is really bad. Basically if it is too cold for my summer tires, braking will be impacted as well.

Reactions: Sam1
That was one of the reason I didn't go with the wheel/tire option. I sort of liked the wheels, but I sure as hell didn't want the tires for the street. My garage is already filled with extra tire/wheel sets for our cars and the last thing my wife wants to see is another set of tires.

For people who haven't experienced how hard and slippery tires that have been through too many heat cycles, the analogy I can give you is it almost feels like they do when you drive in too cold of weather. Maybe not that bad but they feel pretty bad.

As for temps, I almost never drive below 20F so I am on the borderline so I should be good. I'll just drive my wife's 3 when it is really bad. Basically if it is too cold for my summer tires, braking will be impacted as well.

You can get a set of forged wheels like that for under $1500. I was going to do the same thing, but then just decided to order a set of the usual 5 spoke Y's in 21" that I put on my other Teslas.

The CCB kit without wheels is back in stock. I ordered and set for mid-July appt.

View attachment 950415View attachment 950416
Did the same on Saturday, since I got the 21" anchors. I hope these release the top speed...
The CCB kit without wheels is back in stock. I ordered and set for mid-July appt.

View attachment 950415View attachment 950416
I ordered just the CCB on Saturday too, since I got the 21" anchors and would like to go on a different 20" combo. I hope there isn't any kind of issues with the 200 MPH limit...

My appointment is the day after tomorrow and I just received a text message from Tesla indicating that I should bring bins to put the spare parts (factory rotors, brakes, wiring harness, etc.) in after the installation. It will be nice to have the spare parts in case I get another Tesla Model S Plaid. With any luck, I can remove the track package from my current Tesla and install it on the new Tesla. Probably a pipe-dream since the Model S will probably not exist in its current form in seven or so years.

I dread looking at the Tesla app on my phone for fear of receiving a reschedule. :)

Joe