Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MODEL S REAR REFRESH FEB 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so yesterday a buddy and his wife came over with his new LR S of about 3 weeks and we drove it around for 45-60 min back to back against my new 22’ M3 LR w/boost.

Few interesting points which have me questioning the new MS order vs the MYP order and final decision as to which one. Note: I’m not new to MS. I’ve owned 2016 90D, 2017 P100D and 2018 100D. I’ve had coil and air suspension and I’ve had my fair share of SC service visits for all kinds of minor and not so minor issues. So my comments are coming from existence with S and now with 3. Comments are not intended to be negative but just to highlight my first experience in an LR S for longer than 5 min:

1. The S LR didn’t seem as quick or peppy as I’d imagined. It’s supposed to do the 0-100 run in 3.2 seconds vs the M3 boost 3.7…but we both felt the 3 was quicker off the line and had way more punch 40kphto 140kph. Very odd.
We both expected the LR S to pull stronger and simply ‘feel’ faster. Not the case.

2. The LR didn’t feel as planted on the road? It has the 19’s but the M3 was running 18” winters so that was odd. Bobbed around more than the M3 which was surprising. The smaller was like a missle…point and shoot with way less shifting in the seat. I figured the S would handle better here. I guess the car is heavier so comes with the weight.

3. The comfort to sport suspension setting did absolutely zero. The larger bumps were felt the same as in the model 3 but minor road bumps were soaked up better with S. However not extremely different..like 10% better. My 100D air susp was more comfortable hands down. This new S almost felt like a coil suspension or maybe half way between coil and the air. Again unexpected for a 140k cnd car.

4. The S stereo was not as good as the M3 sound in bass, mid or treble. We played with exact same settings and same song. The M3 had more punch and sounded more encompassing and clean/crisp? It’s still amazing but didn’t seem the sound stage was as crisp. The sub and bass felt in the rear was also much stronger in the 3.

5. The rear seats in the S we’re lower in height to the floor so knees were higher when sitting. Just observation and found it a bit more uncomfortable than the 3. Rear screen and wireless chargers were a nice addition to S 👍🏽
Loved that part. Why no magazine or holders on the back of the front seats? Both 3/Y have this. 🤷🏽‍♂️

6. The interior being as gorgeous as it is, is not that far off the 3 given the the latter now has door trim, double pane glass, better materials, alcatera in doors etc. The S screens and console are beautiful sure and it’s definitely a step up but I expected it to be much better than the baby cousin. It’s wider and more re-fined for sure but my buddy was pleasantly surprised at the new M3 interior.

7. The yoke…sigh 😞 what can I say that already hasn’t been beaten to death here? Lack of stalks, pushing signal twice to turn it off, horn placement…I can get used to the actual physical yoke but the lack of stalks and the screen gear selector is just damn slow compared to a normal interface. My buddy was ‘omg I missed the wheel and stalks…it’s so damn easy!’

8. The lift gate on S is awesome as usual. One odd thing was the auto buttons for fold down seats. The seats actually don’t automatically fold down? …you still have to reach in deep into the trunk cavity or come around to the passenger rear to manually fold them down? This is a huge miss. In the Y, it folds automatically but not with S? 3 is no comparison, so definitely loses there but I’m debating the MYP to this S for next car so this one part is relevant as well as rear reclining seats in the Y. Nice touch. Why can’t S do this given it’s a hatchback?

9. Finally the S also had this odd shudder from 40-80kph even with suspension set to low. We tried it many times and same thing. I’m sure it’s the same half shift issue that’s plagued S’s since their creation. Concerned they still havnt fixed this. The M3 never has this issue once.

So to sum up, I’m a bit confused now. I was excited to drive the new S and come out thinking ‘f yes! ‘ as compared to my 6 yrs of former S ownership. But sadly it was the opposite.

The MYP I’m considering I’ve also driven and it actually felt great sitting higher, not a single shudder, the punch in your gut and back was noticeable at all power bands. I expected the S to significantly outdo the 3 and Y in suspension given it’s extra price, adaptive susp and features. I did not expect a suspension that was not as smooth as my older S’s were. It’s better than the 3Y for minor road bumps etc but is that just because of a larger frame to absorb? Again my former S’s handled and felt more comfortable over road bumps. Is this just me?

Last..the S is one gorgeous thing to look at! 3Y…uh…not so much from front.
I can afford either so it’s not a financial thing. Just trying to figure out if the new S LR is worth it over the MYP. My M3 LR boost was as close a comparison in speed to the MYP so figured the comparison was close enough.

Ok start cocking the pistols guys…I’ve got Kevlar on!! LOL 😂

Last edited:
Ok so yesterday a buddy and his wife came over with his new LR S of about 3 weeks and we drove it around for 45-60 min back to back against my new 22’ M3 LR w/boost.

Few interesting points which have me questioning the new MS order vs the MYP order and final decision as to which one. Note: I’m not new to MS. I’ve owned 2016 90D, 2017 P100D and 2018 100D. I’ve had coil and air suspension and I’ve had my fair share of SC service visits for all kinds of minor and not so minor issues. So my comments are coming from existence with S and now with 3. Comments are not intended to be negative but just to highlight my first experience in an LR S for longer than 5 min:

1. The S LR didn’t seem as quick or peppy as I’d imagined. It’s supposed to do the 0-100 run in 3.2 seconds vs the M3 boost 3.7…but we both felt the 3 was quicker off the line and had way more punch 40kphto 140kph. Very odd.
We both expected the LR S to pull stronger and simply ‘feel’ faster. Not the case.

2. The LR didn’t feel as planted on the road? It has the 19’s but the M3 was running 18” winters so that was odd. Bobbed around more than the M3 which was surprising. The smaller was like a missle…point and shoot with way less shifting in the seat. I figured the S would handle better here. I guess the car is heavier so comes with the weight.

3. The comfort to sport suspension setting did absolutely zero. The larger bumps were felt the same as in the model 3 but minor road bumps were soaked up better with S. However not extremely different..like 10% better. My 100D air susp was more comfortable hands down. This new S almost felt like a coil suspension or maybe half way between coil and the air. Again unexpected for a 140k cnd car.

4. The S stereo was not as good as the M3 sound in bass, mid or treble. We played with exact same settings and same song. The M3 had more punch and sounded more encompassing and clean/crisp? It’s still amazing but didn’t seem the sound stage was as crisp. The sub and bass felt in the rear was also much stronger in the 3.

5. The rear seats in the S we’re lower in height to the floor so knees were higher when sitting. Just observation and found it a bit more uncomfortable than the 3. Rear screen and wireless chargers were a nice addition to S 👍🏽
Loved that part. Why no magazine or holders on the back of the front seats? Both 3/Y have this. 🤷🏽‍♂️

6. The interior being as gorgeous as it is, is not that far off the 3 given the the latter now has door trim, double pane glass, better materials, alcatera in doors etc. The S screens and console are beautiful sure and it’s definitely a step up but I expected it to be much better than the baby cousin. It’s wider and more re-fined for sure but my buddy was pleasantly surprised at the new M3 interior.

7. The yoke…sigh 😞 what can I say that already hasn’t been beaten to death here? Lack of stalks, pushing signal twice to turn it off, horn placement…I can get used to the actual physical yoke but the lack of stalks and the screen gear selector is just damn slow compared to a normal interface. My buddy was ‘omg I missed the wheel and stalks…it’s so damn easy!’

8. The lift gate on S is awesome as usual. One odd thing was the auto buttons for fold down seats. The seats actually don’t automatically fold down? …you still have to reach in deep into the trunk cavity or come around to the passenger rear to manually fold them down? This is a huge miss. In the Y, it folds automatically but not with S? 3 is no comparison, so definitely loses there but I’m debating the MYP to this S for next car so this one part is relevant as well as rear reclining seats in the Y. Nice touch. Why can’t S do this given it’s a hatchback?

9. Finally the S also had this odd shudder from 40-80kph even with suspension set to low. We tried it many times and same thing. I’m sure it’s the same half shift issue that’s plagued S’s since their creation. Concerned they still havnt fixed this. The M3 never has this issue once.

So to sum up, I’m a bit confused now. I was excited to drive the new S and come out thinking ‘f yes! ‘ as compared to my 6 yrs of former S ownership. But sadly it was the opposite.

The MYP I’m considering I’ve also driven and it actually felt great sitting higher, not a single shudder, the punch in your gut and back was noticeable at all power bands. I expected the S to significantly outdo the 3 and Y in suspension given it’s extra price, adaptive susp and features. I did not expect a suspension that was not as smooth as my older S’s were. It’s better than the 3Y for minor road bumps etc but is that just because of a larger frame to absorb? Again my former S’s handled and felt more comfortable over road bumps. Is this just me?

Last..the S is one gorgeous thing to look at! 3Y…uh…not so much from front.
I can afford either so it’s not a financial thing. Just trying to figure out if the new S LR is worth it over the MYP. My M3 LR boost was as close a comparison in speed to the MYP so figured the comparison was close enough.

Ok start cocking the pistols guys…I’ve got Kevlar on!! LOL 😂

Just buy the Model Y.

Nobody is gonna sit here and tell you what is best for you.

Only thing I would like to mention is that feeling faster does not equal faster. Get a Dragy and compare the two.

Going 100mph in a rolls Royce will feel plush and soft. Going 100 in a jeep will feel like imminent death.

That being said, can’t go wrong with any of the models. I think the 3 is a great car, and I have one as a daily because it is definitely nicer just to drive myself around town in. Especially when I don’t need the drama of the larger car and yoke.

Maybe I’ll trade it in for a Y in a couple years.

• Love
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Just buy the Model Y.

Nobody is gonna sit here and tell you what is best for you.

Only thing I would like to mention is that feeling faster does not equal faster. Get a Dragy and compare the two.

Going 100mph in a rolls Royce will feel plush and soft. Going 100 in a jeep will feel like imminent death.

That being said, can’t go wrong with any of the models. I think the 3 is a great car, and I have one as a daily because it is definitely nicer just to drive myself around town in. Especially when I don’t need the drama of the larger car and yoke.

Maybe I’ll trade it in for a Y in a couple years.
Good point about refinement vs less so. I’ve arranged a follow up with my buddies LR sometime this week. I’ll see if I can take a draggy but I’m not as fussy about whether it’s 3.2 vs 3.7. They are all fast. I just the ‘feel’ of the stronger pull. It’s more about truly feeling out that suspension again and the odd handling. I enjoy a good handling car. Maybe his tires were low psi for all I know. It is winter so tired tend to lose some pressure.🤷🏽‍♂️

I’d be quite happy with an MYP tbh. In a perfect world I trade back in the new M3 and get a black MYP and a blue MS LR. But that’s not going to happen given I already spent abt 4,5k on ppf, tint, some decal painting, an extra set of oem 19’s etc

So final will be our blk/blk M3 and a blue MYP or MS LR. Wife truly wants the LR S as she loves the auto handles vs manual as the M3 handles for her are a nuisance on her fingers and nails lol. Literally that’s it for her nothing else 🤦🏽‍♂️ She couldn’t care if it’s a model A-Z or whatever. So while I know the MYP is the better practical choice for the fam ie. towing bikes but there is also the old adage ‘happy wife…happy life’. Obv coined by a disgruntled wife LOL
F me…

Reactions: P2AT
Good point about refinement vs less so. I’ve arranged a follow up with my buddies LR sometime this week. I’ll see if I can take a draggy but I’m not as fussy about whether it’s 3.2 vs 3.7. They are all fast. I just the ‘feel’ of the stronger pull. It’s more about truly feeling out that suspension again and the odd handling. I enjoy a good handling car. Maybe his tires were low psi for all I know. It is winter so tired tend to lose some pressure.🤷🏽‍♂️

I’d be quite happy with an MYP tbh. In a perfect world I trade back in the new M3 and get a black MYP and a blue MS LR. But that’s not going to happen given I already spent abt 4,5k on ppf, tint, some decal painting, an extra set of oem 19’s etc

So final will be our blk/blk M3 and a blue MYP or MS LR. Wife truly wants the LR S as she loves the auto handles vs manual as the M3 handles for her are a nuisance on her fingers and nails lol. Literally that’s it for her nothing else 🤦🏽‍♂️ She couldn’t care if it’s a model A-Z or whatever. So while I know the MYP is the better practical choice for the fam ie. towing bikes but there is also the old adage ‘happy wife…happy life’. Obv coined by a disgruntled wife LOL
F me…
Thats ok, I understand. My wife wants the model X simply for the doors and nothing else.

A blue LR refreshed shows the back trim coming standard as black! Thank god !
83797FA6-9E06-4C5D-ADFA-8F42B40529B0.jpeg

A3609EE3-4ADB-4756-9A4E-424E64BCFB93.jpeg

3A9876A9-C680-48C3-92D9-A9BD495AB0EE.jpeg