Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh - 2021 or 2022 Model Year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... I'm wondering what the consensus is as to whether I should consider it a 2021 or 2022 model. Any thoughts on this?
Ironic that a mid summer 2021 will always be referred to as a 2021.

Yet a mid summer 2022 may get referred to as a 2022.5 if it has new matrix headlights and new LED taillights, similar to how a 2016 without the nose one is referred to as a 2016.5.

Nope lol tesla does not do model years. Idgaf if there is one on the vin. Tesla isn’t like okay guys we are now making the 2023 ms. It doesn’t work like that. Hence no model years. Model years are legacy auto and legacy auto sucks. Look how many people say their 2021 plaids are 2022 and it’s the same thing omfg

Nope lol tesla does not do model years. Idgaf if there is one on the vin. Tesla isn’t like okay guys we are now making the 2023 ms. It doesn’t work like that. Hence no model years. Model years are legacy auto and legacy auto sucks. Look how many people say their 2021 plaids are 2022 and it’s the same thing omfg
Except the thing is, they do.

And just like many other auto companies they perform iterative changes within those model years.

Nothing special or groundbreaking about that approach.

Reactions: AMPd
Except the thing is, they do.

And just like many other auto companies they perform iterative changes within those model years.

Nothing special or groundbreaking about that approach.
And zero changes to “2021” to “2022” VIN years. Omg there we go. Tesla does VIN years and not model years because they have never aimed to do new models for a new year and have always continuously upgraded the vehicles as upgrades became available for production.

• Disagree
Reactions: AMPd and glide
And zero changes to “2021” to “2022” VIN years. Omg there we go. Tesla does VIN years and not model years because they have never aimed to do new models for a new year and have always continuously upgraded the vehicles as upgrades became available for production.
Wrong. They still have model years.

You can say they don’t all you want but that does not make it true.

You’re just regurgitating old tweets Elon was using to pump sales.

• Disagree
Reactions: Evee and AMPd
They are model years , since they started changing the date in October from January in 2019.
I don't think there is a hard and fast rule. I ordered a Model S in 2016, it had a 2016 VIN allocated, then the VIN changed on my reservation (only the year part and the checksum, not the serial number) when the car went into production in December. The car was delivered to me on Dec. 31st 2016 (made Q4 numbers) with a 2017 VIN. Door sticker said production date Dec 2016, VIN year was 2017. Maybe Tesla makes the VIN based on estimated end of production or delivery date.

Vehicle certification requirements, including fleet average fuel economy and safety requirements, are applied on a model year by model year basis as referenced by the manufacture in the certification approval. So forget everything you might think about in the batching design changes, etc, context, there is and will always will be a vehicle model year.

That's why the VIN contains a mandatory field to record the model year. Tesla, along with all other vehicle manufactures has model years.

And no, the vehicle model year does not have to perfectly start on Jan 1 and end on Dec 31. Requirement is that the model year must include Jan 1 and can not extend beyond Dec 31. So for a 2022 model year a manufacturer could choose to certify and start producing vehicles in very early 2021, run the model year through Dec 2022, and get say 23 months worth of production under one model year. That's an extreme example, but it would be legally possible. That's where there are some historical situations where manufacturers have introduced a totally new model in the March/April timeframe with it already reflecting the following calendar year as the model year.

I took delivery of my Model S refresh in September 2021, and is identified as a 2021 Model S LR. A friend took delivery of his Model Y a month later and was identified as a 2022 🤷🏼‍♂️. I’m just happy mine was the refresh model S despite ordering in April 2021 😇

I took delivery of my Model S refresh in September 2021, and is identified as a 2021 Model S LR. A friend took delivery of his Model Y a month later and was identified as a 2022 🤷🏼‍♂️. I’m just happy mine was the refresh model S despite ordering in April 2021 😇
Why wouldn’t it be? Tesla stopped taking orders for the pre refresh model about 4 months before your order.

Uh oh. So which refresh is the refresh with the refresh lights is that a 22 model s? Model year people please clarify again? and save the tesla community!!

2022+ refresh will be refreshed headlights/tail lights. That said, none have been seen in the wild in terms of customer cars as of today, Feb 22, so you may want to wait just a little longer to be sure.

• Funny
Reactions: Evee