Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh Airbag Horn Being Enabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cannot recall the last time I used the horn in an emergency manner. That being said, I do use it on the rare occasion when someone in front of me has their face stuck in their phone and just sits there when the light turns green. In these cases I actually prefer the button. Pretty sure that in a real emergency I would probably go for the middle of the steering wheel as we all are accustomed to. It would be great if we had both options IMHO.

I cannot recall the last time I used the horn in an emergency manner. That being said, I do use it on the rare occasion when someone in front of me has their face stuck in their phone and just sits there when the light turns green. In these cases I actually prefer the button. Pretty sure that in a real emergency I would probably go for the middle of the steering wheel as we all are accustomed to. It would be great if we had both options IMHO.

You will, law of primacy.

Reactions: emailforbrett
Having to look at the yoke each time you want a turn signal or horn is a huge Tesla fail.
Did you look at your stalk before to find it? I haven't looked at my yoke for blinkers since day one. In any dynamic situation, the horn is worthless - if some idiot is about to ram you, getting to the horn a half second earlier isn't going to help - just avoid the situation with the yoke or pedals. Horns are only useful when you're stopped and someone is cluelessly about to meander into you or stopped at a light that went green 20 seconds ago. I have no trouble glancing down to find the horn button on the few times I've needed it. But based on the hand wringing on here I guess I'm weird...

Nothing weird, but everybody will have to glance at blinker buttons and a small stalk on left of yoke would have been the way to go. Simple having horn in center too. In airplanes, having all those useful controls and buttons on the yokes are so you can do things while still clearing out windows, not looking in.
But the reality is, I don't need blinkers or horn because every other car is way behind and not a factor, their sucking up my rubber dust.

Reactions: bhzmark
I’m surprised no one here has addressed the original tweet which appears spurious at best.

As for the new primary controls—including the tiny, wandering horn ‘button’ on the refreshed S & X—they’re an ergonomic disaster which no amount of confirmation bias nor mental gymnastics can justify. And Version 11 has ruined the secondary controls for the entire fleet.

It seems Musk’s latest goal is to coerce every Tesla customer to purchase Full Self Driving by making the primary control surfaces as horrendous as legally permissible. (But at least that will leave plenty of time for burrowing ever-deeper into menus for everything except his obvious priorities e.g.: video games and fart noises.)

Reactions: oktane
I really hope there is a retrofit. It legitimately feels like a safety issue for me and I can't understand why it wasn't included initially.

I've tried to honk twice in the last week; once when someone missed a stop sign and another when someone was merging into me, and both times couldn't find the horn on the steering wheel. The experience in the second one was:
  • "That guy is coming into my lane"
  • "I should honk so that he knows I'm here"
  • "Oh wait the airbag doesn't work—I need to find the button."
  • "Oh wait the button isn't tactile"
  • Pause while I consider if I should take my eyes off of the car merging into me to look at the steering wheel so that I can find the honk button.

Those cars had prominent multiple horn buttons on the steering wheel. Not a tiny 2cm horn button randomly located on one side. The whole placing your hand over the right side buttons thing doesn’t work. I’ve had to do this a couple of time for errant Florida drivers, and the horn doesn’t fire, but the wipers turn on! Great when someone is running you off the road.
Not sure what you're doing, but it works fine on my 2022 model s. Hit the right spoke and the horn "rapid fires" 3 times. This also works on my son in laws 2021 plaid.

I’m gonna have to be a contrarian here. While I agree that the center airbag should be the horn because in a panic situation, instinct is to slam the center of the wheel. That said, I do appreciate the current horn placement. Many times I want to beep the horn quickly and briefly (to alert a pedestrian that I was behind them in a parking lot for instance). Because of the amount of force necessary to press most airbag horn buttons, it’s almost impossible to just tap it and have a short quick blast of the horn. Instead, you’re more likely to scare the crap out of some poor guy walking out of a store. Similarly, I’ve been in situations where I’ve needed to use the horn in an emergency and, so much pressure was required because of the airbag that I didn’t manage to make it sound in time to be useful. I say go with both.

I know, right? Elon’s lying is extremely problematic. There’s no excuse.
What’s worse is that no one ever follows up and says “well…where is it?”

Or that he simply refuses to answer. Track mode for the MYP? Cross-country capable FSD?

He just says this nonsense one time, catches a headline, and then disappears. Zero follow up.

This is exactly how a carnival barker operates. Going from city to city making outrageous claims, then moving on to the next scam. He reminds me of the Monorail salesman from the Simpsons.

Reactions: Dan_Foster