Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center horn retrofit for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still bullshit. It’s not illegal to own an airbag. In fact all of us own several within our very cars.

If it’s not a core charge issue (which should be reflected on the invoice), I’d just remove the airbag myself before handing the car over. The wheel / bag combo can be sold as a set to someone wanting to retrofit yoke to wheel
Then who holds the liability when someone sells this airbag on EBay as a fits all and it doesn’t work. They should not let owner keep air bags on a swap.

• Disagree
Reactions: GSP and terranx
The main reason they should take care of this for customers is there is a tweet from the CEO promising all cars from Nov 2021 have the hardware there just pending software update (not true at all) and it was never retracted or corrected by Tesla's non-existent PR department.
this one made me spit my coffee out laughing "there is a tweet from the CEO promising".

I wish I had the time to bother with taking it to small claims. It was a straight up 100% false statement

We have owned 5Tesla's since 2015. If I had $1 for every time Elon has "promised" something or made a statement and actually held accountable for it I could take my family of 4 out to Five Guys Burgers tonight for an all-U-can eat burger fest!!

Reactions: jlv1 and SoCal Buzz
We have owned 5Tesla's since 2015. If I had $1 for every time Elon has "promised" something or made a statement and actually held accountable for it I could take my family of 4 out to Five Guys Burgers tonight for an all-U-can eat burger fest!!
Oh I know. I never actually counted on it happening. But usually his lies are about future products, while that one claimed that all the cars delivered past a certain date had the hardware.

I have a mobile service appointment next Tuesday for replacement under warranty (for turn signal button issues). I requested the round wheel with mechanical horn and so far it looks like the estimate reflects that. Here’s hoping they go through with it

Attachments

• IMG_9928.jpg
    IMG_9928.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 18
I have a mobile service appointment next Tuesday for replacement under warranty (for turn signal button issues)

I also have an intermittent issue with the left turn signal button! (dec 2024 MS LR with wheel). I’d be nice to have a reliable turn signal button, and getting a real horn button would be a bonus.

I should schedule a warranty service for the left turn signal and hope for a horn button. Mobile service would be awesome, too, rather than the 90 minute one way drive to Tesla followed by an enterprise rental for days because they didn’t bother to order a new wheel until AFTER I dropped the car off at the scheduled time.

Oh I know. I never actually counted on it happening. But usually his lies are about future products, while that one claimed that all the cars delivered past a certain date had the hardware.
Yeah. This promise was different. It was specific to a existing product built after a certain date with a promise of a software update to fix an issue.

But got mine installed yesterday. Not a free software update but glad to have it.

Got the new center horn hardware retrofit (not center of the right side of the steering wheel software fix). It's really nice to have. Takes away one of my biggest problems with the new car. I'd love to have the turn signal stalk back but less of an issue. And the gear selector could be improved by making the target larger on the screen and shifting it out from behind the steering wheel.

edit: I do have the S3XY buttons though. One for reverse, one for drive. Put them right behind the cup holders underneath the front of the arm rest. So can switch gears quickly without hitting that small target on the screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: EVCarGUy
So the mechanical horn wheel I got off ebay came in today. Changed the gateway config. Reused my original airbag. All seems to work appropriately.

Before:
1713210055007.jpeg

After:
1713210074881.jpeg

Couple notes:
  • The official Yoke/Wheel swap routine within toolbox does not work with the public toolbox (it errors out as an unauthorized change at the end). However you can accomplish the same end result by editing the gateway config via service shell which does work with public toolbox (for now).
  • If you change the gateway configuration before changing the steering wheel, the old horn button acts like a camera button. The car will also throw an error complaining about not having a horn. But otherwise still perfectly drivable, other buttons work normally. Error goes away after swapping the new wheel in
  • Most of the youtube videos say you don't need to disconnect LV power while replacing the wheel or replace the center steering wheel bolt. Tesla says to do both. I figured it's easy to disconnect power and the bolt is cheap, so I did both.
  • Tesla says the new airbag isn't compatible with the new wheel. I am pretty confident that the only difference is the embossed horn symbol, however I cannot prove that. If you want to be 100% safe, you should replace the airbag as recommended by Tesla.
Relevant gateway configuration items below

Code:
configid:
114 (cfg_steeringheatertype)
data:
04 (ZF_ROUND)
05 (ZF_YOKE)

configid:
121 (cfg_steeringwheeltype)
data:
00 (ROUND)
01 (YOKE)
02 (YOKE_HORN_IN_DAB) -- Never used. presumably they were planning on horn within the airbag itself, and this might have been what Elon's infamous tweet was referring to about all cars having the hardware
03 (YOKE_MECHANICAL_HORN)
04 (ROUND_MECHANICAL_HORN)

Tesla says the new airbag isn't compatible with the new wheel. I am pretty confident that the only difference is the embossed horn symbol, however I cannot prove that. If you want to be 100% safe, you should replace the airbag as recommended by Tesla.
I agree. Your vehicle no longer complies with the FMVSS as it doesn't have a horn symbol on the airbag to let people know where to press for horn activation. As such, it would probably be illegal for Tesla to reuse the old air bag. (At a minimum it would expose them to liability claims.)

I agree. Your vehicle no longer complies with the FMVSS as it doesn't have a horn symbol on the airbag to let people know where to press for horn activation. As such, it would probably be illegal for Tesla to reuse the old air bag. (At a minimum it would expose them to liability claims.)
It's actually *not* required if the horn is activated by pressing the center of the wheel

No identification is required for any horn (i.e., audible warning signal) that is activated by a lanyard or by the driver pressing on the center of the face plane of the steering wheel hub;

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
We also don’t know if this interfaces correctly with the car for proper airbag release. I wouldn’t risk this at all if it were me.

Reactions: jlv1 and Yelobird
The actual airbag connection is unchanged (and in fact technically the connector isn't even a part of the steering wheel) and the airbag control module reports no errors.
I'm just saying I would not risk it. That's my bottom-line response. I don't doubt these airbags are exactly the same. Well, actually I do. I'm 99% sure they're the same, but the 1% is too much of a factor that it would bother me daily. To each, of course.

Yeah that's fair. I have no safety concern personally. Anyone who does have a concern should just grab the airbag (assuming Tesla would sell it to you). It does comfort me that the swap routine doesn't actually change any parameters for the airbag module itself

Last edited:
Reactions: dsm363
Yeah that's fair. I have no safety concern personally. Anyone who does have a concern should just grab the airbag (assuming Tesla would sell it to you). It does comfort me that the swap routine doesn't actually change any parameters for the airbag module itself
Tesla wouldn't let me keep my old airbag but I do have the old wheel. But really like the new one. It's time for them to address the dumb decision to eliminate the gear and turn signal selector at least on the S and X and see what happens. Sales is an issue for Tesla now so giving people extra excuses to not buy the car (no matter how amazing not having those features is to some people) doesn't work anymore.

Reactions: terranx