Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center horn retrofit for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well at least there is a hardware change according to this post:

IMG_9647.jpg

My 2023 build airbag definitely moves like a regular push horn, so at least its mechanically different.

Reactions: Speedr117
This is disappointing. I shouldn't have to think about using the horn, I should just be able to push the middle of the steering wheel. Twice now some dumbass almost hit me and I had to look down and fumble trying to remember where the button was. I love when there is innovation, but this is just dumb. Just like the yoke was.

I must be the rare one that finds little issue with this. Yes it’s a change but that can happen with any technology. Simply placing your hand over the right side covering the buttons sounds the horn every time. Don’t even need to look down. Granted I’m not the honk at everything that upsets me guy. Life’s to short. The horn to me is a last resort when a possible accident is eminent. Using that view, the last thing I personally want is to have my hand over the explosive airbag when it fires. That would be a gaurunteed face plant. Simple new learning process that to me is actually a revised and correct change from the past when there were no airbags. Change doesn’t have to always mean bad.

I disagree completely with you. Not every event is a full on accident with an airbag deplolyment. 95% of the time it's just someone on their phone veering off into my lane and they aren't paying attention.

I rarely use the horn but when I do, it should just be where it's always been. This isn't innovation. Moving safety equipment designed for road-cars to try and emulate a race car is silly. Blinkers should be on a stalk, horn should be in the middle. Dumb as hell and just obvious engineers are bored and making decisions that aren't right. Yokes belong in race cars or do it the way Lexus did by a steering-by-wire design where you can do a u-turn without fully cranking the wheel.

Had an incident where a fella who should have seen me coming apparently did not and with probably about 10 yards between us made a left turn from a side road as I was almost on top of him doing just below the 45mph speed limit. I had to swerve to avoid him while instinctively trying to smash the horn because through the entire event he clearly had no idea I was there and proceeded with his turn at a leisurely 10mph or so. Of course, no horn sounded and by the time that registered and I tried to find the horn button or even think about smashing the entire right side of the steering wheel, the event was over. Nothing has been gained for me as a driver not having stalks or a horn where it should normally be. I have gained zero utility in the current setup, lost the advantage of 30 years of driving with a horn always being in the middle of the steering wheel, and have increased the time it takes for me to access critical signaling functions. I really don't get what they were trying to do here and was disappointed but not surprised to see the Model 3 has now followed suit.

Reactions: foos and Chris
I disagree completely with you. Not every event is a full on accident with an airbag deplolyment. 95% of the time it's just someone on their phone veering off into my lane and they aren't paying attention.

I rarely use the horn but when I do, it should just be where it's always been. This isn't innovation. Moving safety equipment designed for road-cars to try and emulate a race car is silly. Blinkers should be on a stalk, horn should be in the middle. Dumb as hell and just obvious engineers are bored and making decisions that aren't right. Yokes belong in race cars or do it the way Lexus did by a steering-by-wire design where you can do a u-turn without fully cranking the wheel.
Sure and buttons belong on cell phones, cars should have 5 ash trays and lighters, rotary dials belong on phones and seat belts are not needed. True, not all horn events are accidents but I would rather learn through repetition Not to have my hand over the explosive (new tech) airbag when it goes off but that’s just me. Nobody likes change I get it. But sometimes they way it was is not always the best solution.

I love change. Bro i'm in tech, that is my entire life. This change makes no sense. It doesn't make sense to change something when it's not innovative - it's "change for the sake of change". we'll just have to agree to disagree (such is life).
That works. Wasn’t looking for a debate or to change anyone’s opinion. There Can be other views which are all welcome.