Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last major addition to the the model S was AP2 hardware, the one after that included standard 75kwh battery, glass roof, and power lift gate. I think the next one minor/major upgrade will be after model 3 production in July. Besides, Tesla will still have to count on Model S/X driving their revenue.

I highly doubt there will be an MCU update as the 17" is still best in class, there really isn't any incentive for them to do so. I have a gut feeling that they'll make all model S with dual motors with an interior refresh.

...I highly doubt there will be an MCU update as the 17" is still best in class, there really isn't any incentive for them to do so".
Well, it was painfully slow on the day of release gone on this many years it's pretty crazy how unusable it is. The mortality rates also kind of high. With all the inexpensive GPUs / APUs / CPUs floating around in cell phones and tablets why is this thing so slow and how is it ok?

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
A model S refresh would be the best way for Elon to anti-sell the model 3.

I highly doubt it. As Elon had pointed out, they are two totally different beast and by no mean the Model 3 will be more sophisticated than Model S in terms of technology and features.

Their price point is far apart as well.

You have a model 3, with all the bells and whistle known thus far can max at $60k. Or you can get a base Model S with everything standard (would still have far more bells and whistle than model 3) for clost to $70k.

It goes back to the argument of, should you get a full spec out BMW 3 Series or Mercedes C Class or a standard out of the box Mercedes E Class/S Class / BMW 5 Series 7 Series.

Two totally different price point

Most of it's been under warranty so far folks have had them where they just won't come back on and before that have to reboot them every once in a while. I've had to reboot more regularly just kind of waiting for the time when it doesn't come on anymore. There's also like the bubbles under the display thing.
Weird. Never had any such issues on my vehicles or loaners, or in any S or X that I've ridden in.

I highly doubt it. As Elon had pointed out, they are two totally different beast and by no mean the Model 3 will be more sophisticated than Model S in terms of technology and features.

Their price point is far apart as well.

You have a model 3, with all the bells and whistle known thus far can max at $60k. Or you can get a base Model S with everything standard (would still have far more bells and whistle than model 3) for clost to $70k.

It goes back to the argument of, should you get a full spec out BMW 3 Series or Mercedes C Class or a standard out of the box Mercedes E Class/S Class / BMW 5 Series 7 Series.

Two totally different price point

The entire of idea is "anti-selling" the model 3 is to push people to buy the more expensive model S. even their own site anti-sells the model 3 by comparing it to the S. The fact that elon has said the 3 is not going to be superior to the S is to try to boost sales of the S.

Refreshing the S would generate buzz and thus anti-sell the 3.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Tesla has started to look at the panemara for design and luxury cues. Look at the 2017 interior of the Porsche...an absolute tech marvel. They also hired over Volvo's chief of interior design to 'modernize' the S...ha...Oxymoron for the most modern vehicle in existence. :)

I wouldn't be surprised at HUD, different screen set ups etc

I would expect that the MS and MX will be soon be upgrading to the new 2170 batteries and I would expect it to happen prior to the M3 launch. If the M3 has more advanced batteries when it's launched, MS and MX sales may suffer and Tesla does not want that to happen. In fact, if I were in the market for a MS or MX right now, I think I would wait for the new batteries.

Tesla has started to look at the panemara for design and luxury cues. Look at the 2017 interior of the Porsche...an absolute tech marvel. They also hired over Volvo's chief of interior design to 'modernize' the S...ha...Oxymoron for the most modern vehicle in existence. :)

I wouldn't be surprised at HUD, different screen set ups etc
Agree new Panamera should be the benchmark