Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S REST API

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, now it's all come full circle. Yes, it does, and there's also a text adventure written in the Lisp interpreter in Emacs, (which comes with every Mac and most all UNIX systems). I wrote that text adventure (in 1983).

try:
$ emacs -batch -l dunnet

I use emacs Lisp for quick math & the like all the time. Lambda calculus is how the universe was built!

Full circle indeed! I just ssh'd from my iPad mini to one of my Macs, and got this:
Code:
$ emacs -batch -l dunnet

Dead end
You are at a dead end of a dirt road.  The road goes to the east.
In the distance you can see that it will eventually fork off.  The
trees here are very tall royal palms, and they are spaced equidistant
from each other.
There is a shovel here.
>get shovel
Taken.
>

Uh oh. I smell a wumpus!

I use emacs Lisp for quick math & the like all the time. Lambda calculus is how the universe was built!

Full circle indeed! I just ssh'd from my iPad mini to one of my Macs, and got this:
Code:
$ emacs -batch -l dunnet

Dead end
You are at a dead end of a dirt road.  The road goes to the east.
In the distance you can see that it will eventually fork off.  The
trees here are very tall royal palms, and they are spaced equidistant
from each other.
There is a shovel here.
>get shovel
Taken.
>

Uh oh. I smell a wumpus!

Let me know when you've finished the game. Also, don't forget to type 'help' for help (and to see my name in lights).

Well, now it's all come full circle. Yes, it does, and there's also a text adventure written in the Lisp interpreter in Emacs, (which comes with every Mac and most all UNIX systems). I wrote that text adventure (in 1983).

try:

$ emacs -batch -l dunnet

You wrote this?

>examine cpu
The CPU board has a VAX chip on it. It seems to have
2 Megabytes of RAM onboard.

Hahahahaha...you are awesome!

I had been unable to reach my vehicle with either the iPhone App or the scripts I co-opted from the hard workers in this forum, since about Thursday of last week. I updated the iPhone app on Sunday, and rather than the infinite circle trying to located my car, it started telling me my username/password was invalid (though it was not).

I called Tesla support to find out why the app is not working, and learned a few things:
1) The rep told me that the 4.3 update has some incompatibilities with the mobile app - and to expect a patch late this week. (He says the release was not tested against the mobile app - oops?).
2) The newly released versions of the app do not support non-alphanumeric characters in the password. He advised me to change my password to something all alphanumeric to get it to work. I did confirm: when I did this, I started getting back to the infinite spinning circle rather than the immediate bad username/password error.

I can't comment on how accurate #1 is.

As of this morning, I am now able to get the mobile app (but not my scripts) communicating with the car successfully. However, the mobile app takes over 2 minutes of spinning circle saying "contacting car", which is probably why my scripts are immediately failing - they are not as patient.

As a side note, my company's IT person sent an email to everyone: ATT in our area is in the midst of some fabulous LTE upgrade, yielding bad (read: worse than the normal bad) 3G service until April 6. That may be what's causing my underlying problems.

However, I posted this just in case anyone with a relatively secure password is having related issues with new versions of the iPhone (and maybe Android?) app, or intermittent issues with the newest 4.3 firmware upgrade.

What a fun thread. I took and evening and used the python library, google charts, and the free scheduler and web dyno on heroku to grab data every ten minutes, store it, and serve this graph. I plan to make it more dynamic, with selectable series, real time updates, and some calculations like charge efficiency, date range constraints, etc. I'm thinking of switching to highcharts to get some built in interactivity.

So far, I've proven to myself that charging with a higher voltage is more efficient using the data I've collected and this graph (visualizations help me a lot). The inside temp of the car (turned off in the image below) rises as the car charges. The "vampire loss" that occurs overnight is in the 3-6 mile range, although it appears to over report this loss. My 10 mile commute to work, albeit down hill, appears to consume only 3-4 miles of range. Going back up the hill consumes nearly 20. Accounting for the extra power required to go up the hill, it seems there's very little vampire drain.

Tesla Metrics - Home

Screen Shot 2013-04-04 at 11.00.08 PM.png

am i correct in assuming that tesla would have to make available in the api variables for 12v battery voltage/current/etc for us to access via app or cli? has anyone asked about this?

i am going to be away for some weeks and that is the one thing i'd really like to monitor that i can't. i would think at this point that tm might have setup alarms on the server side to alert them to any car's 12v battery being below a certain threshold in order to preemptively manage a potential problem.. but i can't be sure. doesn't seem like it.

am i correct in assuming that tesla would have to make available in the api variables for 12v battery voltage/current/etc for us to access via app or cli? has anyone asked about this?

i am going to be away for some weeks and that is the one thing i'd really like to monitor that i can't. i would think at this point that tm might have setup alarms on the server side to alert them to any car's 12v battery being below a certain threshold in order to preemptively manage a potential problem.. but i can't be sure. doesn't seem like it.

That kind of data should be on the internal CANBus off the car but I haven't yet figured out how to tap into it. I tried plugging into the ODB-II port in the driver footwell but it wasn't talking any of the usual protocols. There is NOT currently anything like this in the REST or Streaming API but I am sure Telsa COULD make it available if they wanted to.