Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Safety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to weed through standard safety features on a 2014 Model S 85 with tech package. I am wondering what is included and what is AP1.

Features asking about:

Pre Collison Braking?
Adaptive Cruise Control?
Lane Assist or Lane Departure Warning?

All vehicles after September '14 or so come with Autopilot Hardware as standard equipment, which includes the front radar unit, the forward facing camera, and the ultrasonic sensors.

If your vehicle is Autopilot hardware equipped, Active Safety features are standard even if you don't pay for Autopilot Convenience Features. That includes:

Forward Collision Warning
Side Collision Warning
Automatic Emergency Braking
Side Collision Avoidance
Blind Spot Monitoring

If your vehicle is equipped with Tech Package (or Autopilot Package, Tesla eventually removed Tech Pkg and made some items standard and some items part of the Premium Interior Package), then your vehicle comes with Autopilot Convenience Features which includes:

Autosteer
Traffic Aware Cruise Control
Automatic Parallel Parking
Automatic Perpendicular Parking
Summon

If a vehicle is equipped with Autopilot hardware, the Autopilot convenience features can be enabled after purchase for a fee.

Since the vehicle you are looking at is a 2014 S85, it may or may not have Autopilot hardware built into the vehicle depending on when it was manufactured. If it does not, then it will have none of the above features and they will not be able to be added to the vehicle. The tech package was available to all cars, regardless of whether they were Autopilot equipped or not. I assume Tesla changed the name of the package and split the option into a separate autopilot package to avoid confusion for this reason.