Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - shimmy in the front with AWD and not RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have driven four different All Wheel Drive Model S's. All of them exhibited an intermittent shimmy in the front end. The symptom is a vibrating steering wheel. I am curious if other AWD owners experience this?

Just want to make sure that you're not feeling the "Lane Assist" feature, as another member discovered this was the shimmy he/she was experiencing in a post I read the other day.

From the manual:
"Lane Assist also warns you of undesired lane departures by vibrating the steering wheel slightly if a front wheel passes over a lane marking and the associated turn signal is o . This warning is active only when driving over approximately 45 mph (70 km/h). To turn this warning on or o , touch Controls > Settings > Driver Assistance > Lane Departure Warning. Your chosen setting is retained until you manually change it. It is also saved in your driver pro le.

In addition to warnings described above, Lane Assist may provide steering interventions if Model S drifts into (or close to) an adjacent lane in which an object, such as a vehicle, is detected. In these situations, Model S automatically steers to a safer position in its driving lane. This steering is applied only when Model S is traveling between 45 and 85 mph (70 and 140 km/h) on major roadways with clearly visible lane markings. When Lane Assist applies a steering intervention, the instrument panel brie y displays a warning message."

Depends on when you're experiencing the 'shimmy'. I would often feel it when making a left turn (above 20mph) or when accelerating quickly on certain roads.

I took it in for service on this 4 times. After a lot of torquing, lubrication, sway bar and wheel bearing replacements - the issue was resolved. Not only was it resolved, the suspension and driving experience was significantly better than the day I got it. I felt bad that I drove it (70D) that way for over 30k miles; thinking it was 'normal'.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Depends on when you're experiencing the 'shimmy'. I would often feel it when making a left turn (above 20mph) or when accelerating quickly on certain roads.

I took it in for service on this 4 times. After a lot of torquing, lubrication, sway bar and wheel bearing replacements - the issue was resolved. Not only was it resolved, the suspension and driving experience was significantly better than the day I got it. I felt bad that I drove it (70D) that way for over 30k miles; thinking it was 'normal'.
I’m near my 48k 4yr check and I recently noticed a wobble or shimmy while driving 65-75mph on the freeway. I’ve noticed it several times, and just assumed it was wear-ruts in the road. Now, I’m not so sure. Is this a safety issue? I’m 250 mi from the service center, with a mountain pass in between and need to plan accordingly. Is this something a rover can fix or confirm? I have a 2015 S70D.

I’m near my 48k 4yr check and I recently noticed a wobble or shimmy while driving 65-75mph on the freeway. I’ve noticed it several times, and just assumed it was wear-ruts in the road. Now, I’m not so sure. Is this a safety issue? I’m 250 mi from the service center, with a mountain pass in between and need to plan accordingly. Is this something a rover can fix or confirm? I have a 2015 S70D.

If you're driving through the mountains a lot, torque your wheels often. I believe it's 129lb on the S (look it up). It's a heavy car, aggressive driving and curves will loosen/stress the nuts quickly. Try that first... you can do it yourself if you're comfortable; definitely within a rangers capabilities...

If that doesn't work, you might have to schedule a SC visit as they'll need a lift/alignment equipment to any address other issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: ReddyLeaf