Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would anyone else like to see those moving "backup guide lines" when looking at the backup camera and in reverse? Seems like this would be easy to superimpose via a software patch and to turn on or off in a settings menu. I've never had a backup camera before my Model S, and I sometimes find that adjusting to the wide angle lens is tricky when trying to gauge depth of field from the camera screen. In a rental car I had this week on a business trip, they has these moving backup lines in the rear view camera which made depth perception a lot better.

That has been suggested before and the resulting discussion is that some people believe the graphics hardware for the center display lacks capability to overlay anything on top of the video image. Note that is you have the video running n the top half of the display and the Homelink menu appears when you approach your garage the video goes blank n

Would anyone else like to see those moving "backup guide lines" when looking at the backup camera and in reverse?

I'd certainly like the ability to turn those off. I like the big clear image without lines. I can see what I am doing without "help".

But I would like the ability to schedule the climate control on/off at a specific pre-set (or one time) time/date schedule from the mobile app.

Would anyone else like to see those moving "backup guide lines" when looking at the backup camera and in reverse? Seems like this would be easy to superimpose via a software patch and to turn on or off in a settings menu. I've never had a backup camera before my Model S, and I sometimes find that adjusting to the wide angle lens is tricky when trying to gauge depth of field from the camera screen. In a rental car I had this week on a business trip, they has these moving backup lines in the rear view camera which made depth perception a lot better.

This has been discussed a lot, and I thought Elon hinted this would be a future feature. There's two ways to do it, the crappy way (static line, I think many Ford's have these), or bendy lines tied to the steering input, so you can see where the car is headed. I've had the latter feature on an Audi, and found it really useful. There was another overlay that helped with parallel parking which was also useful.

This has been discussed a lot, and I thought Elon hinted this would be a future feature. There's two ways to do it, the crappy way (static line, I think many Ford's have these), or bendy lines tied to the steering input, so you can see where the car is headed. I've had the latter feature on an Audi, and found it really useful. There was another overlay that helped with parallel parking which was also useful.

I was talking about the latter with the bendy lines. I guess I hadn't connected the "disappearing video" issue when the homelink menu appears with an inability to superimpose an image. That would be unfortunate...

I would like to see the altitude above sea level as we have lots of mountains in Switzerland. This should be easy to implement as the altitude is part of the GPS data which is broadcasted.
Many other implementations around Navigation should be implemented. Useless to mention all of them. Just take the TomTom and enjoy all the possibilities. Another important option which is not implemented in all versions of the TomTom is the possibility to enter the coordinates of a desired destination. Possible that in release 6.0 many of these options will be offered.

Would anyone else like to see those moving "backup guide lines" when looking at the backup camera and in reverse? Seems like this would be easy to superimpose via a software patch and to turn on or off in a settings menu. I've never had a backup camera before my Model S, and I sometimes find that adjusting to the wide angle lens is tricky when trying to gauge depth of field from the camera screen.

The trick is to use the tilted mirrors to see the side view and centre the car, then back up until the line or curb is at the bottom of the screen. Perfect every time.

I'm not particular a Ford enthusiast, but a coworker has a Explorer 2013 and the backup camera was really good and I wished had that on my Model S, since it combined the camera, the parking sensors and the bendy lines to give you perfect view how far was from the other object with visuals, sound and colors.

I have a Model S 2013 so I'm old tech, I lack of everything but the camera, the camera is so wide angle that at least for me is almost impossible to figure out how really close I'm from anything.

Apologies if this has been mentioned already; I tried a couple of searches, but these are common terms to find together....

I think it would be interesting? useful? nice? if there were a toggle to show the car speed as an overlay on the energy graph on the big screen. Perhaps more useful to newbies than old hands ;-) but still....

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Maybe there's a way to search a thread without reading all 689 messages? (Yeah I should read the whole thread, I know; I've read a million wishlist threads here and on Tesla's site, over the past couple of years, but not this one.)

Same. Got 1.51.106 last night. Only change I've seen so far is that since it updated while I was charging at home, it charged 100% of the battery rather than my normal 80%. Had to reset my battery charge limit this morning to 80%.
Same thing happened to me. It also lost the 10A current limit that I was using at home; seems not to recognize the coordinates as a regular charging location, even after a few days.

Not an improvement.

Hello...I am a new owner and ironically a Creative Director. After a solid week of use, here are items that I think would be nice or very helpful:

- Climate fan adjustment from main screen: Having arrows buttons left and right of the climate fan slider would be helpful for single increments while driving.
- Ambient lighting option (Main screen): Would be fantastic to be able to adjust the interior ambient separately from the dash illumination.
- Radio controls: Would be nice to have a simple "OFF" button. Not the mute, or a simple dial down - a full off. The peace of a quiet, spirited drive comes up sometimes. :)
- Lights: There are times that turning on the lights (even when in Auto) is needed. Having a direct control would be fantastic (without going through screens) << this is a nit pick.

Overall - I give the functionality a solid A-. There are only a couple real issues, but overall a very nicely thought out piece. Hope that helps - keep up the great work.

C.

Hello...I am a new owner and ironically a Creative Director. After a solid week of use, here are items that I think would be nice or very helpful:

- Climate fan adjustment from main screen: Having arrows buttons left and right of the climate fan slider would be helpful for single increments while driving.
- Ambient lighting option (Main screen): Would be fantastic to be able to adjust the interior ambient separately from the dash illumination.
- Radio controls: Would be nice to have a simple "OFF" button. Not the mute, or a simple dial down - a full off. The peace of a quiet, spirited drive comes up sometimes. :)
- Lights: There are times that turning on the lights (even when in Auto) is needed. Having a direct control would be fantastic (without going through screens) << this is a nit pick.

Overall - I give the functionality a solid A-. There are only a couple real issues, but overall a very nicely thought out piece. Hope that helps - keep up the great work.

C.
You do know you can adjust the fan on the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel, why would you need ambient lighting on the main screen?

Actually I would like four simple items that I have taken for granted in other cars of this class:

1. A proper iPod/iPhone interface via the USB ports so that you can access and use playlists, podcasts, audiobooks etc. from the screen. I am truly amazed that this is not available! The Tesla is a car first and should not be part of a VHS/Betamax battle over whether Tesla like Apple or not. It is the defacto product for in car music and audio. Bluetooth streaming is simply not good enough quality, particularly if you have stumped up for the Ultra High Fidelity Sound package.

2. Reversing lines on the rear camera that move with the wheel

3. If you have paid for parking sensors, they should display on the rear camera as blocks of yellow then red colour in front of the objects they have detected. See any Jaguar/Land Rover product for reference

4. Our current Mercedes R Class has the same steering column and stalks as the Tesla. The Mercedes version tilts right up and moves away when you remove the key. Same on the Tesla please

The iPod and the camera lines are way top of my list!

4. Our current Mercedes R Class has the same steering column and stalks as the Tesla. The Mercedes version tilts right up and moves away when you remove the key. Same on the Tesla please

Ummm... there's no key to remove.

How would you like the exit profile triggered? When the door opens and closes? I'm not sure that's the right trigger.

So since one would have to trigger an exit profile manually, create a Driver Profile called "exit" that you can select when getting out of the car that moves everything where you want it.