Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
interesting.. then why while driving the maps still load as they were downloading? i would imagine if the images are local it would be refreshing and the response time would be much quicker?
I'm talking about the directional turn by turn maps on the left side of the Instrument Cluster. The reason they are local is exactly for a situation where you lose connectivity but still need directions.

• Helpful
Reactions: nitram26
True, I have finally resorted to pressing the center button on the TACC/AP stalk whenever I want to make sure the system is 'Off'. Especially, if I want to reset the last chosen TACC speed limits. Several times I have pulled the stalk up and found myself accelerating to a higher MPH that the situation called for. I was expecting the TACC to initiate at the speed I was currently at, not merely 'Resume', the last used MPH....

It was quite a shock when I test drove a Tesla. I was on an urban section of an Interstate highway where the speed limit was 55 and no one was near in front of me. I activated the TACC and it accelerate to 80 mph (which I should mention is not a legal anywhere in the state). The Tesla guy explained that 80 is where it was last set.

I think a much better approach would be to allow setting of a default value (or 55 even) rather than the last value used.

I personally would love to see a setting that causes the Tesla to pull the seat back and raises the steering wheel when you open the door and then pick a profile. I share my MS with my wife who has short legs and it is tough to get in there after she sat in the car.

Even better, allow multiple distinct key fobs and have the Tesla automatically pick the profile for the user based on the key fob.
I wonder if BMW (or someone else) has a patent on this. I recall in my 530 each keyfob would enable an entire profile -- seat and mirror settings, temp preferences, radio presets...

But I've been in several cars with an exit/enter mode, including Lexus and Infiniti, Cadillac I think.

Interesting. My prior vehicle - a Ford Fusion, had this ability as does my 8 year old garmin gps. I had assumed that it was part of the metadata from the map server. And yes, there were areas where the data was out of date but it was better than nothing. Didn't occur to me that the AP versions were actually "reading" the speed limit signs...
The Waze app for iPhone displays speed limit (and current speed) as well.

Reactions: markn455
I'd like the car to provide Wi-fi hotspot capability.
I agree but I wonder if this was a conscious thing to exclude for at least a few reasons I can think of:

1. Maybe if too many devices/users are sharing the car's bandwidth it would impact performance, such as map update/redraw, radio, etc.
2. Cost of bandwidth. Tesla is providing "free" data access -- too much usage breaks their cost model.
3. Your phone is perhaps likely to be faster as a hotspot than the car. That is, you're likely to upgrade your phone more frequently than your car, so the mobile technology is going to be newer/faster than what they have built in.

Just guesses...

A few that have hit me in the first two months owning my CPO 60...

Phone
When calling someone, I'd like the display to not say "Dialing..." -- so irritating. Should say "Calling..." or anything but Dialing. Unless this is an intentional nod to analog technology, it's dumb. No one has dialed a phone since before phones became mobile. My Volt used the same term and I thought it was particularly dumb. (With Chevy I just figured someone didn't think about it. I'm giving Tesla the benefit of the doubt that they actually thought this through.)

Ending a call should be a single click rather than two. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Internet Browser
Tesla should build a simple home page that is useful, perhaps with large tiles/icons for apps you might want quick access to such as weather, sports scores, food, movies, hotels, etc. Maybe open this API to app developers...

Radio
Speed sensitive volume option.

More user-friendly way to access and sort favorites. I mostly listen to Slacker stations, but every day I have to scroll down past AM, FM, etc. favorites to get to the Slacker favorites. And then they are listed in the order in which I favorited them. Maybe this could be tabs so I can just see Slacker or FM favorites alone. Perhaps make them tiles instead of a list so more fit on one page (half screen).

"Back" arrow button to go back (or forward) to a previous station I was listening to, enabling switching back and forth between a few favorites.

Leave radio state (on/off) as it was when I left the vehicle. Or give me a choice. But it's annoying to get into the car in the morning and have the music start playing at volume from the night before, even though I pressed pause before exiting.

Profile Settings
Give me the option to lock my profile/settings so it can't be changed accidentally. Either require me to tap twice to change if I decide to lock, or use a pass code. And save my profile so that if it does get changed I can reload my saved profile.

Nav
Need to add some more logic to the Supercharger routing and trip planning. I'm sure many of you have experienced these...
1. Did not have enough charge to make it to the SC between my starting location and my destination, so Nav suggested I travel an hour in the opposite direction to the closer SC, charge for 40 minutes, then retrace my route back to the SC closer to my destination, adding several hours to a 3 hour drive. The logic should be able to say "Continue charging or find local charger... You need XX more miles of range/% of charge to get to the SC..." or something to that effect.

2. When fully charged I started with enough charge to get from point A to B. However, soon into the trip it was going to be tight whether I could make it there. So I received the warning to stay below 55mph (and then 45mph) in order to reach Point B. This was highway driving. However, there was a SC between my current location and Point B -- at that time, Nav should have given me the warning and suggested/asked to reroute to the SC along the way.

Mobile App
Preconditioning option: Let me send a signal to the car that I'm leaving in 5, 10 minutes and to get ready.
Nav option: Let me send a destination to the car, either from within the app or from my desktop, so I don't have to type it into the car's nav. Sync my favorites/places.

Given that they natively support streaming music, I don't think excessive data plan usage would be a barrier to a Wi-Fi hotspot feature.
Multiply that by your wife and kids connecting to the car and streaming video content, it would be cost prohibitive for Tesla plus some of the online systems that use Internet connectivity such as Nav, maps, etc would be impacted by the saturation. I just don't see it happening with the current hardware and free pricing.

Multiply that by your wife and kids connecting to the car and streaming video content, it would be cost prohibitive for Tesla plus some of the online systems that use Internet connectivity such as Nav, maps, etc would be impacted by the saturation. ...

I did a little research and found that audio streaming uses much less bandwidth than I thought. A Verizon calculator put it at 60 MB/hr. Turn-by-turn directions increase usage by 5 MB/hr. So if one averaged 2 hours a day driving, listening to music, and navigating, it would around 4 GB a month. Video would make it 4-5 times that much.

That said, my numbers represent an extreme case. Normally it would be much less because people already have data plans, the trouble of setting it up, and usually just one occupant in the car, so the net change to Tesla's bottom line would be negligible.

I did a little research and found that audio streaming uses much less bandwidth than I thought. A Verizon calculator put it at 60 MB/hr. Turn-by-turn directions increase usage by 5 MB/hr. So if one averaged 2 hours a day driving, listening to music, and navigating, it would around 4 GB a month. Video would make it 4-5 times that much.

That said, my numbers represent an extreme case. Normally it would be much less because people already have data plans, the trouble of setting it up, and usually just one occupant in the car, so the net change to Tesla's bottom line would be negligible.
Ok, I thought you were talking about Tesla having a hotspot that all the other devices would connect to. If each person in you family has their own data plan and you don't want to connect to Tesla's there's no issue or additional cost to Tesla.

I add these events/addresses to my Google calendar, and when I get in the car, they should be available to just click on and navigate to.
Yes, I do the same with std Apple Calendars. ;). It's a great workaround I use all the time, but honestly, having the ability to send a predetermined route (with waypoints ;)) that I worked out on my Mac or iPad in the comfort of my home, directly to my Tesla would be great. I was able to do that directly from Google Maps to my 2009 BMW and could do something similar on my 2013 Lexus with their app. I could send a destination to my 2014 MBZ using their app, but not a route -- honestly making a bogus calendar entry with a location as I do now is simpler than what I had to go through using the specialized MBZ app.

Since the MS knows when we drive into a tunnel, and it knows how long the tunnel is (see the dash display) why not automatically switch to interior air circulation upon entering each tunnel and then as you exit the tunnel, automatically switch back to the previous setting such as 'outside air' I mean, who wants to breath exhaust fumes if given the choice
.?.