Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The older system does not know which wheel is which. The newer system can determine it, even if you move wheels around.

Aren't even the old sensors coded uniquely? When I ordered aftermarket sensors for my second set of rims (Tire Rack), I thought they told me this. I know you can't program the sensor to tell it which wheel it's on, but I thought you should be able to "train" the car to recognize where it is.

My old 2009 Cadillac had a clever way of doing this. You would initiate "learning mode" and one parking light or tail light would start blinking. You would go to that corner of the car and start adding or bleeding air out of the tire until the horn chirped. Then the next light would start blinking and you'd repeat at that corner of the car and so forth until all 4 corners were set up. The dealer had some sort of tool that would do all this a lot quicker. I could call up individual tire pressures on the dash, and if one was low, it would tell you which one and show the actual pressure in real time.

I thought Tesla could do this with the legacy sensors, but perhaps there is something I'm missing???

new here and not seeing my previous post, so apologies if this is a double post.

- would love the ability to control front and/or rear dome lights from the UI screen. instead of only ALL ON or ALL OFF, this would make it easier to cater to little ones in car seats without having to reach and extend.

Reactions: tburneymac
- pre-heat / pre-cool timer settings to cool/heat at a specific time (leaving for work, coming home)

More than three years after this post, one would have thought this basic feature would be available.

The problem is Tesla over-reached, and failed with "Smart Preconditioning. A simple scheduler would be fine. Smart Preconditioning, with the ability to override it with a scheduler would be fine. Smart Preconditioning as it stands now simply doesn't work.

Is it possible to display an instant energy use number (Wh/mile), as opposed to a five, fifteen or thirty mile average? If not — I haven't been able to find a way to do it — I'd like that feature added, preferably to the dash.
I see what you're asking, you want something similar to a cars instantaneous MPG display, but instantaneous isn't wh/mi, wh/mi is an average, unless your "mi" unit is -> 0. And even then, you'd need to average over some distance. 1"? 1'? 1 meter? 1 mile? etc.

Instantaneous would be just kw, and that's available on the IC. It's on the energy meter, the little orange/green tape.

I see what you're asking, you want something similar to a cars instantaneous MPG display, but instantaneous isn't wh/mi, wh/mi is an average, unless your "mi" unit is -> 0. And even then, you'd need to average over some distance. 1"? 1'? 1 meter? 1 mile? etc.

Instantaneous would be just kw, and that's available on the IC. It's on the energy meter, the little orange/green tape.
You're right, energy use would have to be averaged over some distance to be meaningful, although the car could do the calculus to come up with an instantaneous rate I would think. It is a rolling computer, after all!

You're right, energy use would have to be averaged over some distance to be meaningful, although the car could do the calculus to come up with an instantaneous rate I would think. It is a rolling computer, after all!
I would expect an instantaneous calculation could be done simply by knowing kW being pulled and current speed of the car. Infinitely small slivers of distance and time... there's your calculus... ;-)

I would expect an instantaneous calculation could be done simply by knowing kW being pulled and current speed of the car. Infinitely small slivers of distance and time... there's your calculus... ;-)
Yup.

I realize that the instant Wh/mile info isn't all that useful, as compared to an average over a reasonable distance. But I think it would be fun to watch since I drive mountains pretty much all the time.

Yup.

I realize that the instant Wh/mile info isn't all that useful, as compared to an average over a reasonable distance. But I think it would be fun to watch since I drive mountains pretty much all the time.
Absolutely agree. That sort of display would give you an instant idea of what your consumption looks like. I used it regularly on my previous ICE cars and miss it in the Tesla.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
The only problem [with driver profiles associated with keys] would occur if we both have our keys with us as we approach the car!
But this is a big problem -- I suspect many Tesla owners are couples where both people have and routinely carry fobs.
Probably the only practical solution would be to not use the auto-unlock and require the driver to explicitly do something
with his/her fob to unlock the car, thus identifying themselves as "the driver this time".
But I agree that all the fancy-schmancy driver profile stuff is much less convenient when you have two drivers --
especially for the larger driver getting in after the smaller driver drove last (oof!).

I'd like a way to turn off the cabin heater (like one can with the AC) and still use the climate control system to move air around. If there is a way to do this I haven't found it and it isn't in the manual. I find that even "Lo" is too warm in moderately cold conditions and my only choice is CC off. Makes no sense to me.

I'm pretty sure that's how low operates--it just passes through outside air (or recycled air) with no heating.

I'm pretty sure that's how low operates--it just passes through outside air (or recycled air) with no heating.
I'll experiment with it some more (need some colder weather) but my impression from the manual is that it was a 63ºF set point:
Touch the up or down arrow to set the cabin temperature (from LO, 63° F to HI, 90° F/LO, 17° C to HI, 32° C).

Anyway, I hope that you are right; it would make sense.

But this is a big problem -- I suspect many Tesla owners are couples where both people have and routinely carry fobs.
Probably the only practical solution would be to not use the auto-unlock and require the driver to explicitly do something
with his/her fob to unlock the car, thus identifying themselves as "the driver this time".
But I agree that all the fancy-schmancy driver profile stuff is much less convenient when you have two drivers --
especially for the larger driver getting in after the smaller driver drove last (oof!).

This has been addressed many times, and several possible solutions have been proposed.

First of all, while it is true that there are many "two fob families" it is also true that both drivers will only be approaching the car together some fraction of the total number of times the car is driven. So right off the bat there are many times that there would be no problem whatsoever.

As for the times when both fobs and potential drivers are approaching the car, one simple solution is to have the car adjust the profile for the fob it recognizes first. If we as owners know that is what the car will do, it won't be all that difficult to just allow the intended driver to be a few steps ahead of his or her spouse as the couple approach the car. Problem solved. And if the car gets it wrong, we're still no worse off than when the car wasn't even trying in the first place.

...As for the times when both fobs and potential drivers are approaching the car, one simple solution is to have the car adjust the profile for the fob it recognizes first...
Right. My former Lexus and it's myriad of models have operated that way for years, where owners learned to live with how it operated which was great most of the time. What could make a Tesla solution all that much better is then allowing the driver to touch the 17" and select a different profile if the wrong one was initially put into operation by which FOB it found first (we couldn't do that on my former Lexi.) That would take a little tweaking to what profiles presently do, but the basics are already there if Tesla ever wanted to exceed owner's expectations some day. ;)

Reactions: Andyw2100