Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would you want to charge from 50-90 that is so inefficient. That is why it took so long. Next time they charge from 10 to 70 or 80 and see the difference!

Well sometimes you efficiency at all costs people are a little bit annoying. Sometimes it's not about efficiency. I understand where the battery charges best and where the best charging speeds are I've been at this for more than 5 years and been across the country with this car four times. Sometimes it's about what you need to do to take care of your business or your travel needs that are at hand. So yes I had particular cause to charge from 50 to 90% because I was faced with time pressure and the supercharger was the best solution.

But none of that has anything to do with my initial post which was just saying that in a car that is as advanced as this one why can't the charge times reflected upon plug-in be more accurate. We're not talking a few minutes here we're talking over twice as long as indicated. That is the issue that I'm questioning.

Yes and I understand why it took so long, what I don't understand is why the estimated time to charge completion cannot and does not reflect that.

Well sometimes you efficiency at all costs people are a little bit annoying. Sometimes it's not about efficiency. I understand where the battery charges best and where the best charging speeds are I've been at this for more than 5 years and been across the country with this car four times. Sometimes it's about what you need to do to take care of your business or your travel needs that are at hand. So yes I had particular cause to charge from 50 to 90% because I was faced with time pressure and the supercharger was the best solution.

But none of that has anything to do with my initial post which was just saying that in a car that is as advanced as this one why can't the charge times reflected upon plug-in be more accurate. We're not talking a few minutes here we're talking over twice as long as indicated. That is the issue that I'm questioning.

Yes and I understand why it took so long, what I don't understand is why the estimated time to charge completion cannot and does not reflect that.
I don’t have this problem, have no clue. It shows x amount to continue trip and it always that. But again I never do dumb charging from 50 to 90 bc it doesn’t make any sense. I work the system at hand and make it best out of it. Including efficient driving with 266 life time efficiency on my old S 75

I don’t have this problem, have no clue. It shows x amount to continue trip and it always that. But again I never do dumb charging from 50 to 90 bc it doesn’t make any sense. I work the system at hand and make it best out of it. Including efficient driving with 266 life time efficiency on my old S 75

Yes you do have this problem, and you're right, you have no clue. I wasn't on a trip so time on plug to continue trip was irrelevant. But I don't need or want to go into the nuances and try to explain why I needed to make the 50% to 90% charge that I did in order to get my travel done for the day.

My point is and has been, it doesn't matter what percentage you're charging from and to. The fact that the time estimates are otherworldly (including those given to continue your trip when compared to actual clock time) is something that seems like it should be and could be improved.

Perhaps you and others who are quick to jump on the efficiency bandwagon, and "gee why would you do that it's dumb" bandwagon should listen more than talk you may learn something.

Last edited:
Reactions: N4HHE
Are you telling me there were no way for you to charge later in the day at lower SOC to your 40% range increase with faster speeds? And not waste an hour at the charger for no reason

No, not if I wanted to cover my revised travel needs and make it home. but none of that matters I'm not debating the fact that the battery will charge faster if you start at a lower state of charge that is known.

My original post was to address the fact that the algorithms that control the time to reach charge set limit that are displayed are other worldly and there is much room for improvement.

Reactions: pilotSteve
No, not if I wanted to cover my revised travel needs and make it home. but none of that matters I'm not debating the fact that the battery will charge faster if you start at a lower state of charge that is known.

My original post was to address the fact that the algorithms that control the time to reach charge set limit that are displayed are other worldly and there is much room for improvement.
Sure there is always room for improvement but if you owned the car for 5 years and know how it works why to waste time at the charger? Any way, good luck.

Sure there is always room for improvement but if you owned the car for 5 years and know how it works why to waste time at the charger? Any way, good luck.

Well thank you for being holier than thou. but the real reason why I was at the supercharger is because in Arizona we're dealing with multiple wildfires out here. Road closures that are already in place others are imminent detours are in existing in places where I need to be traveling so yes that's why I spent the extra time at the supercharger thank you very much. I didn't think I would need to explain exactly what I was doing verbatim in order for somebody to believe that I had a need to use a supercharger for as long as I did.

And if you recall my original post had nothing to do with that. My thought was why can't they adjust the time reported by the car to be more accurate to what the charge time will actually take. And you too have a nice day hope you never run into any detours or unplanned stops or Road closures that change your travel plans but I guess that doesn't happen to perfect people such as you that know how to operate the car perfectly and sit up on a pedestal and criticize others for what they perceived as wasting time at a charger without knowing anything of the situation or bothering to ask before opening your mouth and criticizing someone. Have a nice day sir.

Ever considered that it’s harder to calculate for BMI as SOC get closer to full? You are welcome, mister Elon should have fixed that for me just bc I want to.
Yes actually I have considered that, but there are means. the data is there should anyone really choose to look at it much like the crowdsourcing to improve the autopilot systems.

No I have I have no such expectation of that kind of entitlement. But I do think that the information probably exists that could make that time estimate a little better than it is. That's all I was saying. Not sure why you have such a problem with it but I guess that's kind of your problem and not mine.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
I've found for my 85kWh battery and the 100kWh battery that the estimated time to finish charging up to 90% is reasonably accurate.

Above 90%, not accurate at all.

Not so on my 85 KW car the time reported to me upon plug-in is off by usually about double if it tells me it's going to take 30 minutes it will take an hour or more. I get the fact that the reported time adjusts as the charge cycle continues but my thinking is that with the available data perhaps they could give you a more realistic picture of what time you are actually looking at in total when you plug the car in.

Not a big deal I've seen it enough times so that I know to expect it but if it could be improved for perhaps less experienced owners/drivers of these cars so that they're not shocked to find out that it takes them an hour and a half to charge at the supercharger when the car told them it was only going to take 40 minutes etc.

Reactions: N4HHE
Not so on my 85 KW car the time reported to me upon plug-in is off by usually about double if it tells me it's going to take 30 minutes it will take an hour or more. I get the fact that the reported time adjusts as the charge cycle continues but my thinking is that with the available data perhaps they could give you a more realistic picture of what time you are actually looking at in total when you plug the car in.

Not a big deal I've seen it enough times so that I know to expect it but if it could be improved for perhaps less experienced owners/drivers of these cars so that they're not shocked to find out that it takes them an hour and a half to charge at the supercharger when the car told them it was only going to take 40 minutes etc.
Or maybe your battery is about to crap

Yes actually I have considered that, but there are means. the data is there should anyone really choose to look at it much like the crowdsourcing to improve the autopilot systems.

No I have I have no such expectation of that kind of entitlement. But I do think that the information probably exists that could make that time estimate a little better than it is. That's all I was saying. Not sure why you have such a problem with it but I guess that's kind of your problem and not mine.
Did you ask service technicians about that? Maybe they can give you better explanation.

Did you ask service technicians about that? Maybe they can give you better explanation.

From a friend who is still trying to get through. For those who think that I was doing stupid charging because I needed to charge from 50 to 90%. My advice to you ask more questions listen more talk less. Rant over.b

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210619-161457.png
    Screenshot_20210619-161457.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
My point is and has been, it doesn't matter what percentage you're charging from and to. The fact that the time estimates are otherworldly (including those given to continue your trip when compared to actual clock time) is something that seems like it should be and could be improved.
Am guessing you and I have the same problem when Tesla halved the Supercharging rates on older Model Ss they didn't tweak the curve used in time estimates. When my car has 30 miles remaining Supercharging will start at 115kW but before long is down to 70, even 30 before reaching 200 miles on my 85kWh battery.

I no longer use my Model S for trips which require more than a splash-n-go at a Supercharger. The 500 mile day I used to be able to make with (3) 30 minute stops is now stopped for over 3 hours. Faced with buying gasoline for a 9 hour day or free Supercharging for a 12 hour day, I buy gasoline.

Am guessing you and I have the same problem when Tesla halved the Supercharging rates on older Model Ss they didn't tweak the curve used in time estimates. When my car has 30 miles remaining Supercharging will start at 115kW but before long is down to 70, even 30 before reaching 200 miles on my 85kWh battery.

I no longer use my Model S for trips which require more than a splash-n-go at a Supercharger. The 500 mile day I used to be able to make with (3) 30 minute stops is now stopped for over 3 hours. Faced with buying gasoline for a 9 hour day or free Supercharging for a 12 hour day, I buy gasoline.

Similar situation yes I don't road trip my Model S anymore either not that much the charge times are just too long. I know there were or was a ruling somewhere in Europe and some country where Tesla had to pay out to the car owners because of reduced battery pack capacity through an update and those people wanted to be made whole again. There's a similar suit pending I think in California dealing with the battery gate charge gate thing. The people whose cars aren't affected just don't get it and there are two stubborn to listen to those of us who have cars that are affected. But my Model S is nowhere near the car it used to be and for any travel outside of its single charge range it's pretty much useless now unless you've got a lot of time to sit at a charger. Still like the car but I wish I could have my range and battery capacity and charging speed back again like the car was when I got it.

PS before all of the efficiency at all cost people and the naysayers jump on board yes I am aware of normal battery degradation and loss of capacity over time and don't expect my battery to be as new at the age and mileage of the car however I didn't expect my battery capacity and the car is capability to be reduced via update.

Reactions: croman and N4HHE
And now we hear the real beef from you. I bet Tesla didn’t pay anyone in Europe. Show me the proof they did.

Yeah they did have to pay out or have been ordered to do so via the court actually but if you're that interested in it look it up yourself. It's not my job to provide you proof if you're that interested in the facts seek them out for yourself. If you were as knowledgeable as you would have us believe you would already know about these things.

Last edited: