Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Specs and Standard Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't mind not having them, especially when you consider that all the little things like the auto folding mirrors (and auto lift gate for that matter) all add weight, reduce reliability and add up to reduce range. We shouldn't take for granted some of the steps tesla makes to keep the car as light as it is.

Speaking of which... we still don't have an official weight, do we?

Ok, hoping to not take this too far off-topic, but can someone confirm my thought process here...

"10 kW capable on-board charger with the following input compatibility: 85-265 V, 45-65 Hz, 1-40 A (Optional 20 kW capable Twin Chargers increases input compatibility to 80 A)
10 kW capable Universal Mobile Connector with 110 V, 240 V, and J1772 adapters"

Now, does this mean that if all you drive around with and use at home is the UMC, getting Twin Chargers is pointless (seeing as Tesla's highway superchargers bypass the on-board charger)?

The turning circle is pretty good. It's less than the 2011 550i and almost the same as the M56:
2011 BMW 550i vs. 2011 Infiniti M56 Comparison Test

I hope the Tech package will support FLAC audio format. :( Multi-channel FLAC would be a nice touch. :)

I was thinking the same thing, especially with how it's a "Premium" sound system (with built-in storage). The ability to play lossless audio would be nice, maybe it will come with a firmware update?

It also comes with the J1772 adapter (maybe I just forgot about that!) for the UMC (emphasis mine). I'm not a fan of automatic headlights (I know they're on lots of cars now).:
10 kW capable Universal Mobile Connector with 110 V, 240 V, and J1772 adapters
Halogen headlights with automatic on/off and LED daytime running lights DRLs)

Ok, hoping to not take this too far off-topic, but can someone confirm my thought process here...

"10 kW capable on-board charger with the following input compatibility: 85-265 V, 45-65 Hz, 1-40 A (Optional 20 kW capable Twin Chargers increases input compatibility to 80 A)

Now, does this mean that if all you drive around with and use at home is the UMC, getting Twin Chargers is pointless (seeing as Tesla's highway superchargers bypass the on-board charger)?

Would recommend this thread: Twin Chargers: Why?

Yes you can supercharge with either; no it isn't necessarily pointless.

You can buy Tesla's 'High Power Wall Connector' and hook up a 100A 240VAC feed and you can charge faster. But the 'Superchargers' are high voltage DC and bypass the onboard chargers.

I think I remember one of the screens having an "off" switch for those.

See here:

drls.jpg

P.S. Resolution isn't good but DRL on/off is in the middle.

Yes you can supercharge with either; no it isn't necessarily pointless.

You can buy Tesla's 'High Power Wall Connector' and hook up a 100A 240VAC feed and you can charge faster. But the 'Superchargers' are high voltage DC and bypass the onboard chargers.

Right, but my point was that if you decide to only live with the UMC, both at home and elsewhere, and not get their home charger, then there is no point in having twin chargers since the UMC doesn't support 20kW anyway (assuming no one will make a Tesla universal connector for you with that capability).

To the opposite scenario, you would need the twin chargers to take advantage of the high power home charger.

Or to take full advantage of the existing network of HPC's already in existance.

Right, but my point was that if you decide to only live with the UMC, both at home and elsewhere, and not get their home charger, then there is no point in having twin chargers since the UMC doesn't support 20kW anyway (assuming no one will make a Tesla universal connector for you with that capability).

To the opposite scenario, you would need the twin chargers to take advantage of the high power home charger.

Still think it (and all cars for that matter) should include a soft secondary horn (perhaps tied to flashing your high beams) for times you want to gently alert inattentive folks of your presence.

I agree. A polite horn. I hate it when I try to just tap the horn and it goes a bit long. I feel like an ass sometimes. If they are texting, or something equally stupid, I normally lay on it for a second and have no regrets!

Right, but my point was that if you decide to only live with the UMC, both at home and elsewhere, and not get their home charger, then there is no point in having twin chargers since the UMC doesn't support 20kW anyway.
Correct. Your question has already been answered and you've already been pointed to the appropriate thread.