Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Spoiler Install What Tape To Use Where To Position Tape?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that there are tutorials out there but I am looking for personal opinions. I am going to install a carbon fiber spoiler on my Model S. The spoiler sits on the edge of the trunk like most others And fits perfect without the tape. It came with 3m tape to hold the spoiler down but it is thin and does not look very strong (I am also not sure how old it is). I really want to do this install once and for it to be semi permanent without having to worry about it falling off. It gets really hot around my house in the summertime and I am afraid the adhesive will melt and weaken. Is there a tape that anybody has used that works better then 3m strength and weather wise (can’t be to thick because I do not want a gap)? Also, I want the spoiler to be strong once mounted but with no gaps. Where are the best places to place the tape around the inside of the spoiler? Sorry for the long post.

I used 3M 06384 Automotive Acrylic Attachment Tape with no issues. I lined the perimeter of the spoiler and put a line down the middle IIRC.
My spoiler was an aftermarket one so I needed to use a bit of silicone on each extreme edge and put weight on it overnight to have it seated and not lift. No issues at all with lifting over the last two years of PNW weather. Prepping the trunk lid is key, naturally.

Reactions: Sidewayzgtjb
I used 3M 06384 Automotive Acrylic Attachment Tape with no issues. I lined the perimeter of the spoiler and put a line down the middle IIRC.
My spoiler was an aftermarket one so I needed to use a bit of silicone on each extreme edge and put weight on it overnight to have it seated and not lift. No issues at all with lifting over the last two years of PNW weather. Prepping the trunk lid is key, naturally.
Thanks, I’ll give it a try. I’ll check the numbers on the tape and pay much attention to the prep.

Ok, just contacted 3m and they did indeed suggest the acrylic plus high bond tape 1/2” version. They said that prep is the most important thing and to definitely use the adhesion promoter 06396 on the scuffed carbon fiber and remove all waxes from the metal surface of car. Let the adhesion promoter dry for 10 minutes on the carbon fiber then apply the tape. They said that once the tape is adhered to the spoiler, you need to “wet out” the tape by applying 15psi of pressure to the red backing for 3-4 minutes. Apply the spoiler to the car (making sure it is lined up perfectly before removing the red backing). Gently apply 15psi to the spoiler once positioned on the car and adhered for 3-4 minutes (don’t break anything). The full strength will be achieved within 72 hours. Hope this helps with anybody else installing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pinke2323