Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Stalker (interested buyer)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
Got a call from a local but unfamiliar number on my cell phone tonight. Turns out a guy from a nearby town interested in buying a Model S saw mine parked at a local school, he looked at one of the "add your own charger" iPhone apps and found the one Tesla charger in the area (I'm the only Model S in the area right now) and called my number associated with that charger location.

We chatted about the Model S and I fielded some pretty good questions from him (about service availability, practicality of driving to specific locations (St.Louis), and issues with the car I've encountered). We talked for almost 30 minutes and I ended up offering him a ride the next time he's in the area. ( I know that some of you are thinking I'm nuts about now, but this is a pretty safe part of the country)

I give him credit for the creativity, but it is a tad spooky knowing I'm that easy to find.

My stalker experience was on delivery. A guy sees the car on a flatbed, and follows it to my house. He drove by a few times before parking and walking up the driveway. Turns out he had one on order and was having waiting pains and needed to touch one up close and personal.
Tactile_contact.jpg

Took me forever to find the screenshot for some reason.

I've been followed home by a lady who was intrigued by the paper plates that stated "Zero Emissions" when I first got the car. Needless to say I was a little spooked by the whole thing. She was super nice and we chatted for a bit then she moved on with her day.

Good luck, but should be fine.

My stalker experience was on delivery. A guy sees the car on a flatbed, and follows it to my house. He drove by a few times before parking and walking up the driveway. Turns out he had one on order and was having waiting pains and needed to touch one up close and personal.

i had a similar (but different) experience upon delivery. my car was delivered in an empty parking lot. a guy in a pick up drove by really slowly and headed off. he came back a few minutes later as the car was being lowered off the back of the trailer. he pulled up next to me and rolled down his window. i was about to start into my speel about tesla and electric cars and so on but he was more interested in the semi that delivered the car. it was a huge 18 wheeler with a cab the size of a small condo. really decked out nicely. wasn't that interested in my car.

Ive been stalked a few times. Once by a lady who said she loves it and looking to get one. Most of them don't quite get all the reasons why i bought the car when i start talking about the engineering parts. A lot of them run away when they hear the cost. I usually just say "its expensive".

The funny part is to watch people break their necks, while driving, trying to look back and figure out what kind of car it is. I've had people stop at a light and ask to roll down the window just to ask what kind of car it is. At times, I am afraid that if I don't, I'd get them angry. The is the road after all and road rage is always a possibility. I almost always have my 12 year old son with me so i don't need any trouble.

I visit customers for a living with my business partner (the sales guy). I don't mention the car except in front of a few close friends. My partner on the other hand, wants to brag so he mentions the car. People jump at a chance to go see it. It gets in the way of business some times.

Some times you get the guy who is opposed to the whole idea of electric cars. He thinks that it costs more energy to build these things then we save in its lifetime. He read a smart article in a magazine. He drives a truck and i am making him feel like cr*p the more I talk about the car. He does not want to do business with me at that point. Either that or my car makes them hate theirs and I loose business anyway.

No matter what, after seeing my car, people walk back to their cars feeling disgusted. Not exactly how i like things to go.

Last edited:
^^^
Heh. Are they still using Plycar?

I had my former 350Z shipped by them years ago partly because of recommendations and Tesla using them. The truck that picked up my car had a Tesla Roadster in it along w/a brand new Porsche 911 w/the sticker still on it.

Dropoff truck had a different Tesla Roadster in it.

Some times you get the guy who is opposed to the whole idea of electric cars. He thinks that it costs more energy to build these things then we save in its lifetime. He read a smart article in a magazine. He drives a truck and i am making him feel like cr*p the more I talk about the car. He does not want to do business with me at that point. Either that or my car makes them hate theirs and I loose business anyway.
As you're exiting vehicle and heading to destination...
  • Trucker: What car is that?
  • You: Tesla.
  • Trucker: A what?
  • You: Tesla. California company. Doing amazing things.
  • Trucker: Oh, that EV company with the loans and the ...
  • You: Yah, love the car.
  • Trucker: So you're one of those environmental...
  • You: No. Just love the car. Fast as... well, fast as "oh crap, there's a cop."
Trucker chuckles, unintentionally.
  • Trucker: So you didn't buy it to be green and all that?
  • You: Nah. It's a nice perk not sending money out of the country for gas or hitting gas stations at $80 a pop, though.
  • Trucker: I hear yah. But those are expensive right? Rich people toys....
  • You: They get spendy. It's more than I wanted to spend. My last car was a train wreck, so I saved up and went for it. Saving sucks. Waiting for the reservation list sucks. The car's awesome though.
  • Trucker: I won't ever be able to afford one. Wife, kids, ...
  • You: Model S? It's still pricey right now -- new tech and all. Just like cell phones before I could afford one. Check out their web site though. Model X is their next one -- SUV. But the one after that... "Gen 3". That's when it gets nuts.
etc.

Note: Don't tell them the website address unless they ask. If they're at all curious, they'll ask and scout it out. If not, offering it can come across as pushy.

I had this happen last year before Christmas. It was an old friend that I respect. He was convinced and though I spent hours sending him evidence that he was wrong, he simply would not be convinced. It was disheartening. It was the first time I experienced a negative reaction about the MS. I'm over it now and realize there are just some people who will not accept the technology. They've decided. For whatever reason.

I had this happen last year before Christmas. It was an old friend that I respect. He was convinced and though I spent hours sending him evidence that he was wrong, he simply would not be convinced. It was disheartening. It was the first time I experienced a negative reaction about the MS. I'm over it now and realize there are just some people who will not accept the technology. They've decided. For whatever reason.

Yeah, i almost lost a good friend for that same reason. Fortunately, we decided to just disagree. He watches a special well known Cable network all the time, not to mentions any names. (the screen theme is red and they go by a little animal name). The thing is that almost everyone that he an I both know wants to talk about the car. They ask a lot of questions and I love to answer them. I was in the middle of helping a guy calculate his savings from not buying gas when my friend almost lost it. "you are always talking about this with everyone" etc.... He would not let me finish the calculations. The truth is, everyone loves to talk about the car.

He and I now avoid the subject.

Yeah, i almost lost a good friend for that same reason. Fortunately, we decided to just disagree. He watches a special well known Cable network all the time, not to mentions any names. (the screen theme is red and they go by a little animal name). The thing is that almost everyone that he an I both know wants to talk about the car. They ask a lot of questions and I love to answer them. I was in the middle of helping a guy calculate his savings from not buying gas when my friend almost lost it. "you are always talking about this with everyone" etc.... He would not let me finish the calculations. The truth is, everyone loves to talk about the car.

He and I now avoid the subject.
Everytime I meet with this type of friend the first thing I'd say "sooo, gas prices huh"

My experience was at a local GMC Cadillac dealership. My wife was dropping her vehicle off for an oil change and I followed her there since there was a four hour wait. As we were talking with the Service Attendant he asked about the car I drove up in. He had someone else finish the paperwork on my wife's vehicle and asked if he could take a look inside the car. He came out with four more people and I spent about 20 minutes telling them about the Model S. They seemed more excited about the car than I was and I was the one driving it.

When I brought my wife back to pick up her car, everything seemed normal at first. We went in to pay and my wife waited for her car to be pulled out. I headed to my car thinking I would be on my way. The original Service Attendant was at the car and it was surrounded by about 15 other employees. He was trying to tell them everything I had previously told him. As I walked up, he said excitedly "watch the handles are about to come out." Then I proceeded to spend another half hour explaining the features and letting employees look in the car. One employee even asked if he could take a ride. Luckily the manager who had been standing there taking in all the information said he had to get back to work. He joked that not one car had been sold in the last 30 minutes because most of his staff was busy learning about the Model S. But even he had to acknowledge in the end that Tesla made a gorgeous vehicle that seemed to have it all.

When I dropped my wife off at a Toyota dealer for a recent Prius recall the service techs were all wondering what the heck I was driving. When I told them about it they didn't know what to think. Interesting phenomena - not knowing what potential competition offers. They'll eventually know someday.

My Toyota mechanics died know tesla pretty well. He was a bit concerned about the battery life but was otherwise pretty supportive/entusiastic as I told him I'd probably buy one.

Dropped my daughter off at the dealer to pick up her Mini Cooper that was in for service. Practically the whole staff came out to gawk and ask questions about my S until the boss came out and they scattered. Then the boss pumped me for info and I eventually gave him a test ride. Needless to say, he was impressed.

He watches a special well known Cable network all the time, not to mentions any names. (the screen theme is red and they go by a little animal name).

You mean the channel that has a middle letter 'O' and the first and the last letter as 'F' and 'X' ? I don't want to reveal more than this either.